Aphonopelma hentzi or not???

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WOW! thats a really nice T w.e it is... i want to steal it from you.:D

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have seen photos before of a "dark carapace form" of a. hentzi, so I would assume that is what you have there. Beautiful, aren't they?

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hahaha, nice. Maybe we should get some people together and go huntin down here sometime. Then go to wal-mart and try and sell some there. haha

Austin
Yeah I bet that Bville popo would have us right in jail for that lol lol. Probably have a big crowd of toothless pant leg in boot dudes with their 'baccer chewin combat boot wearin' girlfriends lurkin about, lol. Anyway, let me know when a good time is, I would like to observe a few burrow sites, sounds like you know where a few are!

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hope that you can relocate the T's you have saved. Perhaps you can find a place that is on federal land OR a state park and release most of the ones you have been able to save.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes she is very beautiful, can't wait till she gets a little bigger!

I hope that you can relocate the T's you have saved. Perhaps you can find a place that is on federal land OR a state park and release most of the ones you have been able to save.
I'm keeping 4 breeding pairs and after I get a sac from ea female, considering everything goes well, I will take the hundreds of hundreds of hundreds of spiderlings and release them at Osage State Park. Looking forward to it.

Austin

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's an A hentzi. I've seen them like that before here in MO

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wait until it molts and I bet it will look like the rest. Color is highly variable within an Aphonopelma sp. Such drastic differences in color and appearance in Aphonopelma hentzi is not unusual.

- Lonnie

Very good point. Spiderlings also tend to be a uniform dark color. I find young "Carlsbad Green" sp that dont look anything like the adults, but simply because they just havent reached the instar where they gain adult colors. I have noticed that they gain their adult colors at different sizes and stages too. If you found it among a confirmed group of A hentzi, its probably hentzi. Or a complex thereof.

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my thoughts are that once we get this Aphonopelma genus worked out...especially "hentzi"...there will be a few "new" Aphonopelma around.

but, speciation is a controversial topic...

find as many as you can and redistribute them to native areas in your locale...that's the best you can do for them.

Chris

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
my thoughts are that once we get this Aphonopelma genus worked out...especially "hentzi"...there will be a few "new" Aphonopelma around.
I would agree to this. I believe, though, many of the current Aphonopelma sp. would be found to be varients of the same species and the number of distinct Aphonopelma species in the USA would drop. That is, IF, someone properly revised the genus.

- Lonnie

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would agree to this. I believe, though, many of the current Aphonopelma sp. would be found to be varients of the same species and the number of distinct Aphonopelma species in the USA would drop. That is, IF, someone properly revised the genus.

- Lonnie
Dont you just love the number of "species" defined by mature males alone? {D

There is a serious amout of work needed here. I think the amount of species will drop. I have found many similar Aphonopelmas that cover huge amounts of territory. Its something I would really love to see worked on, as I love the genus.