Aphonopelma chalcodes

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
One of my favorites. This one has been in my care for 7 years. Got it as a speck. Now, it's about 3". Not even sexed yet :?
john

Attachments

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah... id hate to get any Aphonopelma at sling size.. They take like 1 year to molt once :p
Very nice Chalcodes

Ian

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
aww, the a. chalcodes was my very first tarantula...her name was "vlad" and she was a sweetheart...

your photo brings all of the good memories rushing back...giving her a 10-gallon tank without a lid; keeping her on colored gravel; moving from iowa to maryland with her keeping me company in my car; her first moult two years after i first got her; trying to feed her a chameleon; giving her a "hide" that was merely a styrofoam cup; and finally, being the envy of all of my friends because i had such neat pets (at one point in time, i had my tarantula, my scorp, and my ferret all living in one room).

oh, how i wish i could have her back so i could correct all of the wrongs...

but, then again, at the time i didn't have access to the internet AND the only book i had was "tarantulas" by john g. browning, whose review you can read here.

Last edited:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Originally posted by DiStUrBeD-OnE
Yeah... id hate to get any Aphonopelma at sling size.. They take like 1 year to molt once
Ian
I know that feeling only too well... But, they molted earlier this year and are now a bit larger than the speck they were for most of last year. They are incredibly slow growing..... And, I used to think Grammostola's were very slow growers

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
beautiful spider. Mine is about 4" or so, she is a 'she' and just molted for this year :)
I got her 1 1/2 years ago from Spiderpatch, she was a CB 2 incher.
She is my most sociable spider, and I've never seen her in a bad mood.
She has lots of 'tarantuality'....

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now that's one gorgeous looking Chalcodes:D Is she a sweetie or have just a little attitude?

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendi
I know that feeling only too well... But, they molted earlier this year and are now a bit larger than the speck they were for most of last year. They are incredibly slow growing..... And, I used to think Grammostola's were very slow growers
>so this means my pinky fingernail sized A.chalcodes sling will take forever to grow to adult...well By the looks of the adults,and even disposition,it'll be worth the wait...peace..

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by petitegreeneyes
Now that's one gorgeous looking Chalcodes:D Is she a sweetie or have just a little attitude?
Always been a biter. I never held it. Everytime I tried, it would scrape me.
:eek:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
mine is the opposite LOL
She is a complete sweetheart....

Last edited:

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
John-

Nice blond - the pic makes that beastie look much bigger than 3". I have a 3-1/4", not sexed yet. He/she is the most docile T ever - I can practically pet the thing. I once cupped it when it fell and did not get one bit of aggression out of it.

D

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
One of my favorites. This one has been in my care for 7 years. Got it as a speck. Now, it's about 3". Not even sexed yet :?
john
This makes me sad. :( My little beauty I got from Todd Gearheart died mysteriously. I mean one day she was fine, the next she was dead. It broke my heart. I loved that spider. She was very pretty what with her ginger orange colored body. I want another A. chalcodes. :(

Last edited:

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol

dude i got a free one when i ordred my t's how much do they cost??/ its about 3-4 '' idk have not gotten it yet

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I bet Lariz's spider is pushing 4 inches these days;)

Later, Tom

c'est ma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah... id hate to get any Aphonopelma at sling size.. They take like 1 year to molt once :p
Ian
No, that's just why you need to have all types of T's...think of all the versis you'd go thru whilst waiting for the Aphonopelma to grow...

I bet Lariz's spider is pushing 4 inches these days;)

Later, Tom
Thanks for pointing that out, Tom. Wow, does one have to go back this far for an A. chalcodes thread?!