Aphonopelma chalcodes sling care

Kaden Bryant

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone. I am about to order my first Ts (a G. Pulchripes sling and a B. vagans sling) and decided that I want to throw in a 1/2" Aphonopelma chalcodes sling as well. Can y'all highlight their care for me please. I primarily need help with just how little moisture they need. BTW I am aware of their EXTREMELY slow growth rate.

Last edited:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Hey everyone. I am about to order my first Ts (a G. Pulchripes sling and a B. vagans sling) and decided that I want to throw in a 1/2" Aphonopelma chalcodes sling as well. Can y'all highlight their care for me please. I primarily need help with just how little moisture they need. BTW I am aware of their EXTREMELY slow growth rate.
Well they're a desert species, I'd stick with as dry as possible. Maybe wait for someone else to chime in with their expertise, but I would expect the care and moisture requirements to be not unlike the other two you're getting, especially the vagans.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I am about to order my first Ts (a G. Pulchripes sling and a B. vagans sling) and decided that I want to throw in a 1/2" Aphonopelma chalcodes sling as well. Can y'all highlight their care for me please. I primarily need help with just how little moisture they need.
You just want the substrate to be slightly damp. @cold blood has already given you a good response (with photos for illustration) of what kinds of enclosures to use and how to set them up.

For basic sling care, see this post:

I was initially wary of getting slings, but now that I have them, I see it's not that hard. Just a little different from juveniles and adults.

The main difference between sling care and adult care is that sling always need some moisture, because they haven't yet developed the waxy layer on their cuticle that prevents them from losing moisture through their cuticle. Once they develop this layer (1.5" or so, maybe earlier for some arid species like GBB), you can transition to the adult moisture requirements.

To raise the humidity, just slightly dampen the substrate and limit ventilation. The easiest way to keep them is in condiment cups or small deli containers with holes poked for ventilation. (To prevent escape, make sure all holes are smaller than the tarantula's carapace.)

I would offer a water dish if you can find one that fits in a smaller enclosure -- the sling is not going to drown. If not, when it's small enough to live in a condiment cup, dripping some water down the side is fine. If you're running the heater, be sure to stay on top of the moisture level in the container, as it may dry out more quickly than you expect.

As for feeding, all of the usual safety precautions apply (for example, pre-crush a mealworm's head). Some slings will take live prey, and you can offer something that is the size of the spider's abdomen or smaller. If they are too timid to hunt, most will accept pre-killed prey. Just place all or part of a prey item in the container for the sling to find. Since the container will be slightly moist, you should remove any uneaten prey (or parts of prey) after a day to prevent mites and fungi from becoming established.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Generally speaking, for slings that beginners get, you can keep them all the same pretty much. All 3 of those Ts should be raised the same way, and all 3 SHOULD have a water bowl.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I thought they would just drink the drops on the side of the enclosure
That's an ineffective means of providing water to those types of terrestrial Ts. How will you know when they are thirsty? Even a slender abdomen doesn't guarantee your T will drink right when you give it water. Just like a FAT abodmen doesn't mean a T doesn't need water-- they do!

If you put drops of water on the walls, they will evaporate before your T even knows they are there. You are dealing with animals that may not move for a week or more.

Provide them a bowl, so they can drink when they want to, not when you THINK they should or would ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is a water cap small enough? The slings will be 1/2".
For that size, a bottle cap off a 16 oz bottle of water is fine. Make sure the cap is from a water bottle, plastic absorbs things.

Also tarantulas can swim, so don't worry about drowning.

I've never put pebbles or anything else in my water dish.

Kaden Bryant

Arachnosquire
Nevermind I found a monopoly but the houses are glass and the green ones seem way too small. Is this good?

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's perfect, a T could drink from a lake you know ;)