Aphonopelma chalcodes "New River" vs Aphonopelma chalcodes "Arizona Blonde"

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
I like the peachy blush of the New River and the way the color extends down onto the feet. They're both pretty, but the New River has the details.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Come on y'all, they're slight variations of the same species. They are BOTH ARIZONA BLONDES! It's like saying Miss Texas and Miss Hawaii don't belong in the same beauty pageant because they aren't the same species.

If we get too twee about localities, we're going to start being compared to those grey banded kingsnake fascistas! Won't breed a snake that came from one road cut to a snake that came from the next road cut a mile up the road! Total elitist nutters, and meanwhile the captive gene pool closes in narrower and narrower.

I bred my really beautiful male that I picked up in the driveway of our house in New River to a stunning female that the plumber unearthed in front of my dorm in Sedona, and the babies are gorgeous! And no, they aren't hybrids. 80 miles, two mountain ranges, and 3500 feet of elevation may eventually lead to a chalcodes species deviation, but we're millenia from that point right now. We just grow 'em extra pretty in New River--what else need be said? :happy:
Man you’re kind of all over on this one lol! Miss Texas and Miss Hawaii maybe the same species but they are not the same race, that being said if we don’t mingle with other races than we are mostly likely being considered racists.

With tarantulas just because the two, three, four etc. different forms are the same species doesn’t mean theyre the same race. So if you want to keep the same appearance that this fine beauties have naturally in the wild than we need to keep them separately at all cost.

Maybe I’m racist when it comes to tarantulas......

Tuisto

Arachnosquire
Top is definitely the more gorgeous, had no idea this species had such variety. I had a buddy visiting AZ from Turkey but he couldn't manage to find any in the desert.
I'll go hunting for my own pair one of these days..

willyweed68

Arachnopeon
View attachment 234067
I'd pick the Arizona Blonde, definitely. The ashy coloring looks almost white in the photos I've seen and is kind of "angelic" looking :D I've been on the hunt for a juvenile/AF for a while but am always scared I'll get the New River if I order online, since most sellers don't differentiate and they all seemed to be labelled A. chalcodes and nothing more.
I agree with you I just ordered 2 juvenile females and received one of each. Locality is supposedly the only reason for appearance difference between the two but their demeanor is also different. All tarantulas attitudes vary and change molt to molt but in my opinion it's also an indication of the difference between the two!!! Happy to have them both now as part of my breeding sustainability program but will definitely not be pairing my new river with my sierra vista male. Looks like I'll have to get me a new river male giving me a total of five Aphonopelma Chalcodes!!!! Blessed to have them in my collection that is a fantastic problem to have!!!!!
View attachment 234068 Two tarantulas from different locality with different characteristics under the same species name.

If you like please post which one is the prettiest and which one would you own?