Aphonopelma chalcodes enclosure question

tristynreed

Arachnopeon
hi guys! so I kind of feel like my chalcodes enclosure is too short? like maybe I should take some dirt out? she’s dug out her burrow a TON so she’s piled the dirt up and it seems like too much and she might need some more room. I scooped out some dirt today, but what do you guys think? I just want to make sure she has enough room to molt when she decides to. I’ll also rehouse her if you guys think I should. I mentioned this in my last post about my avic, but enclosure size is my biggest challenge in tarantula keeping. I feel like I understand arboreal enclosure size a lot better now (thanks to you guys!) but now i’m second guessing my terrestrial size lol. I really just want the best for my girls so if anyone has time, please let me know! this enclosure is 14 inches length by 8 inches wide by 6 inches height and pictures are down below. also her name is Tatum :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Tatum's enclosure seems great actually. I don't see any issues or any concerns of a redo for the enclosure. As a terrestrial species, it doesn't really need the height. Also I wouldn't worry about the height as terrestrial spiders will molt in their burrows in the wild which is way less space than most would imagine. Tarantulas don't need as much space as most would think to molt properly. You'd be surprised at how some spaces are for tarantulas in the wild. Overall, there is nothing wrong.

tristynreed

Arachnopeon
Tatum's enclosure seems great actually. I don't see any issues or any concerns of a redo for the enclosure. As a terrestrial species, it doesn't really need the height. Also I wouldn't worry about the height as terrestrial spiders will molt in their burrows in the wild which is way less space than most would imagine. Tarantulas don't need as much space as most would think to molt properly. You'd be surprised at how some spaces are for tarantulas in the wild. Overall, there is nothing wrong.
thank you so so much for taking the time to reply to me and give me some great information, I really really appreciate it ! This really helped me feel soo much better about her enclosure and that she’s all good. I am starting to get such a better understanding of tarantula sizes and what is appropriate/the best for them! it really helps when i can ask others with a lot more experience so thank you again! :)