Aphonopelma Chalcodes cage is way to moist underneath.

Sleek

Arachnopeon
How do I fix this? My water dish that I have in there leaks I guess, or it just seaps through, but the eco earth under the frist three inches is super moist like jungle stuff, she is burrowing right now, she is making a huge little cave thing, does this mean she is wanting more moister?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
How large is she? A. chalcodes should be kept on bone dry substrate, but they're durable. I'd just replace the water dish and allow it to dry out naturally, so long as you have adequate ventilation.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
As long as the top is dry, the bottom can be damp. If your A. chalcodes is digging and not climbing, it means conditions in the tank are right. It doesn't mean it prefers damp substrate. With a burrow there will be more airflow to the bottom and it will dry out faster anyway. Personally, I always flood the tanks of my temperate and arid climate species every once in a while so there is a gradient of moisture in the tank.

cold blood

Staff member
Just pull the water dish and clean the rim. Any sub or webbing, even the tiniest bit, will cause a wicking effect that will empty the bowl into the sub rather quickly. I highly doubt its actually leaking.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
@AphonopelmaTX is correct. As long as the top is dry, you're all good. The A chalcodes lives in the desert, but they do have a 3-4 month yearly monsoon season. The wild A. chalcodes have done just fine out there with damp substrate.

Sleek

Arachnopeon
Just pull the water dish and clean the rim. Any sub or webbing, even the tiniest bit, will cause a wicking effect that will empty the bowl into the sub rather quickly. I highly doubt its actually leaking.
Will do. Thanks.

Sleek

Arachnopeon
How large is she? A. chalcodes should be kept on bone dry substrate, but they're durable. I'd just replace the water dish and allow it to dry out naturally, so long as you have adequate ventilation.
The top is completely bone dry its just the bottom.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
How do I fix this? My water dish that I have in there leaks I guess, or it just seaps through, but the eco earth under the frist three inches is super moist like jungle stuff, she is burrowing right now, she is making a huge little cave thing, does this mean she is wanting more moister?
Just rehouse with dry substrate & replace the waterdish.