Aphonopelma chalcodes a heavy webber?

Dead Blue Deer

Arachnopeon
I've had my wild-caught A. chalcodes female since April 2019 (I caught her in my neighborhood). She's molted twice in my care, the most recent time being over the summer. She's a big, beautiful T, eats well when she's not fasting (lol), and is pretty active in her tank. After her last molt, she decided to decorate her entire enclosure in web — and I do mean her entire enclosure. Anyone else experience this with A. chalcodes or other Aphonopelmas? I'm not worried or anything, but none of my other New World terrestrial Ts have done anything quite like this.

(Her substrate is dry, she has a water dish and a cork hide. She's not interested in burrowing, though she has in the past. There's about three and a half inches between the top of her tank and the substrate.)

AO6u5j0W.jpg vIR9OuzW.jpg
U0Zh861t.jpg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
She was bored. She needed a hobby. So she took up rug making. 🤣
Seriously, though.
I have had spiders who have never made more than a moult mat, or a bit of flimsy curtains over the mouth of their burrow, and then one day I open their enclosure to find that every inch is covered in webbing. Webbing is flying all over, because it was even on the lid. A few days later, it's gone again.
I have my Tliltocatl verdezi and Chromatopelma cyaneopubscens adult females side by side and I thought I had opened the wrong lid one day because my verdezi girl had covered the place with webbing. The next time I fed her it was all gone.
This has happened to me with a couple of spiders, none of them my Aphonopelma chalcodes, where they would do this and it would be gone a few days later. All of them were captive bred, if you were thinking that might have something to do with it.

justanotherTkeeper

Arachnosquire
My chalcodes webs her enclosure just like this! Remember that species stereotypes generalize typical behaviour, but every T is an individual and may break the mold by acting in surprising ways. Just sit back and enjoy your T :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
My lass has laid down a web mat covering her enclosure. Not as thick as your lass has OP but she is still adding to it.

Dead Blue Deer

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the insight, everyone! Just goes to show that each T really is its own individual. Which is a great justification for getting more than one of the same species :smirk:

Anyway, here's my gal airing out her fangs this morning:

ElbEvDTVgAAImXU.jpg

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
That's pretty awesome. My chalcodes has laid down a fine little carpet but nothing like this. Your girl has quite the knack for this, ever consider putting her to work?

justanotherTkeeper

Arachnosquire
That's pretty awesome. My chalcodes has laid down a fine little carpet but nothing like this. Your girl has quite the knack for this, ever consider putting her to work?
Negatory. TSL - Tarantula Slave Labor law of 1990-something-or-other strictly prohibits the employment of all arachnids. Other insects are fine though, keep tearing thru those silk worms ;)