Aphonopelma anax question

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, I have a question about my TX brown tarantula, and he has kind of a skinny abdomen with long legs, I was just wondering if it's normal for A. anax to look like that, or if it's just a male?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you know what a Mature male is? And how to tell if one is a mature male? If it was wild caught then it probably is one.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you found him wandering outside then I'd say mature male, but without pictures or details that's a wild guess.

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
No I'm still kind of a noob to the hobby... I just know that the males are light bodied and the females are more bulky

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does your spider have a hook on the underside of each front leg just past the second joint from the "toe"end? If so, you have a MM. Abdomen size and legginess is not really an accurate indication of sex in immature Ts IME.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does your spider have a hook on the underside of each front leg just past the second joint from the "toe"end? If so, you have a MM. Abdomen size and legginess is not really an accurate indication of sex in immature Ts IME.
+1 You need to look for hooks under the first set of legs. I can't really tell from your picture, but it doesn't look like a MM, you'll just have to check for the hooks. If you do find hooks, then I would take it back to the store and make a case unless you just want to keep it. How much did you pay for it?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also I forgot to mention that you need to fill the tank up to around 50-75% of substrate so if the T climbs and falls it won't be injured.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The spider in that picture looks completely normal to me. No need to worry.

poppaJT

Arachnopeon
K thanks everybody!! I will check for the hooks... I payed 12 bucks for the lil guy... He's not too pretty to look at but he's quite docile and handle-able!!

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
K thanks everybody!! I will check for the hooks... I payed 12 bucks for the lil guy... He's not too pretty to look at but he's quite docile and handle-able!!
I love A.anax. If you want to sell him let me know ;)