Aphonmpelma enclosure

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That enclosure is functional but some aphnos will burrow or atleast tunnel around the sides of the enclosure.. the next time you rehouse it I would reccomend giving it an enclosure that can hold 10-12 inches of sub.

@EulersK absolutely LOVES :kiss: this extremely active species so maybe he has some sound caging advice to pass on to you:D...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personally, I'd leave it how it is. Adequate hide, water dish. They are not obligate burrowers. If it decides to redecorate, it can. If it don't, then it won't.

But, that's my opinion. Others may keep them differently and like their setup more elaborate.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
That enclosure is functional but some aphnos will burrow or atleast tunnel around the sides of the enclosure.. the next time you rehouse it I would reccomend giving it an enclosure that can hold 10-12 inches of sub.
10-12"? I don't give my deep burrowers 10-12" of substrate. That would be a big container that would likely go unused. I think if a rehouse happened 4 inches of sub would be optimum. But really I think it looks good. She can move substrate around if she chooses.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, it looks perfectly fine to me. Kudos for setting up a good enclosure. The A. chalcodes (what you have) has never burrowed under my care. Excavation is a hobby at most for this species.

@14pokies, I think you were thinking of A. seemanni for the burrowing active species. A. chalcodes isn't that active. Still, both are must haves in any collection :D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
10-12"? I don't give my deep burrowers 10-12" of substrate.
I've got a C. darlingi in a tea jug with about 20" of substrate. It's gone straight to the bottom and made a network all along the sides. If you give it, they will usually use it. Now, do they need it? I doubt that, honestly.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight

@EulersK absolutely LOVES :kiss: this extremely active species so maybe he has some sound caging advice to pass on to you:D...
I agree 100% with 14pokies. I just wanted to say that from my experience with Aphonopelmas they seem like they do strongly require/prefer a little deeper substrate of at least 9 inches

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I've got a C. darlingi in a tea jug with about 20" of substrate. It's gone straight to the bottom and made a network all along the sides. If you give it, they will usually use it. Now, do they need it? I doubt that, honestly.
That would be cool to see. The deepest den maintained in my collection is my H gigas at about 9". She made a nice cavern at the bottom with a cool looking entrance hole.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
10-12"? I don't give my deep burrowers 10-12" of substrate.
I have a 2inch balfouri on 6 inches of sub and he has dug down the bottom of his enclosure. I keep haplos on no less than 10 inches of sub.. I don't have space for big deep enclosures at the moment and that's why I don't keep haplos right now..

Maybe chalcodes act different but I have had 3 hentzi and I housed 2 of them in enclosures with 8 inches of soil both dug around the sides to the bottom..

Don't chalcodes live in burrows in the wild?

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That would be cool to see. The deepest den maintained in my collection is my H gigas at about 9". She made a nice cavern at the bottom with a cool looking entrance hole.
Unless she is about 2 inches it's ten inches short of having a proper amount of sub Lol.. I have heard that this species along with P. muticus have been found in burrows that are deeper than 10 feet..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've noticed that large burrowers like that don't burrow very deep, they prefer to make long shallow burrows. They don't go straight down like a Ceratogyrus. So that may be why we're seeing a discrepancy here.

Don't chalcodes live in burrows in the wild?
So do most Brachys :p

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Agreed, it looks perfectly fine to me. Kudos for setting up a good enclosure. The A. chalcodes (what you have) has never burrowed under my care. Excavation is a hobby at most for this species.

@14pokies, I think you were thinking of A. seemanni for the burrowing active species. A. chalcodes isn't that active. Still, both are must haves in any collection :D
No man I had hentzi that dug and then chilled on the top of the sub like baked potatoes :p...

I do agree that aphnos in general are great Ts especially for newer hobbyists that need a slower moving extremely hardy T..
I can also see why so many seasoned keepers like them as well I just love bustin your jigglys!:rofl:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I've noticed that large burrowers like that don't burrow very deep, they prefer to make long shallow burrows. They don't go straight down like a Ceratogyrus. So that may be why we're seeing a discrepancy here.

So do most Brachys :p
Don't get me started on brachys:vomit:.. You will hate me even more than you already do!

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Unless she is about 2 inches it's ten inches short of having a proper amount of sub Lol.. I have heard that this species along with P. muticus have been found in burrows that are deeper than 10 feet..
Considering I have an 8' ceiling, I think my P muticus will have to do with what she's got.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Considering I have an 8' ceiling, I think my P muticus will have to do with what she's got.
A 55 gallon trash can is only about 4 feet tall ;)..

I'm not saying we need to give O/Bs all the space they would have in the wild but I think we should give them as much as possible within reason.. I know that I won't get a P.mut or H.gigas unless I can house it in 29g tall and imo that's bare minimum..

Last edited:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I think this is plenty for my Arizona Blonde. Is it too small or just right? View attachment 223875
Gorgeous T! :happy: And that looks like a good set-up to me. My adult female like to hang out in her cave (so premade borrow of sorts although she did some additional excavation) and comes out when she's hungry. I would not describe her as particularly active but rather calm. :)

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
Btw, the hide is a red solo cup! I hot glue coco fiber to it...looks pretty spiffy. The wife and I have made variations where we will glue moss on the out side to accommodate some moisture/humidity dependent species in our care.