Aphistogoniulus infernalis

Criteria

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to purchase some Aphistogoniulus Infernalis juveniles and was wondering if anyone has experience with them?

They appear to be rare in the hobby and are endangered in the wild so there isn't much info widely available. I'm hoping to breed them so there is a captive bred population for trade here in the UK.

I'm confident I have their basic care requirements covered, but I think you can never have too much info or personal experience with a species.

Once they're settled in I'll get some pics up on here.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Great, first I see someone with Dorcus titanus and then someone with A. infernalis? Agh!

I believe @Marika and @Elytra and Antenna have kept species in the Aphistogoniulus genus, so perhaps they can shed some light on this subject.

I will say however that captive breeding efforts for Madagascan species really need to start ramping up considering how much deforestation they are having over there, otherwise these and many other species may be lost to time. Good luck with yours, I hope you are successful!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Criteria

Arachnopeon
Thanks Arthroverts.

I genuinely couldn't believe it when I found them for sale. I've read that these are only found in one 890km area, which like much of Madagascar's natural habitats is still shrinking.

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
Are you sure they're A. infernalis? People often sell Aphistogoniulus species under the name A. corallipes even when they're clearly not, so I wouldn't be too surprised if these where misidentified as well.
Also, any pictures to share? :)

Criteria

Arachnopeon
Are you sure they're A. infernalis? People often sell Aphistogoniulus species under the name A. corallipes even when they're clearly not, so I wouldn't be too surprised if these where misidentified as well.
Also, any pictures to share? :)
This is my main concern. They're juveniles around 4 - 5cm long right now so they don't have much in the way of colour.

Infernalis have a very distinctive colour and pattern, so I'm watching and waiting for the legs to turn red and a bright red stripe to form down the back of a dark red body.

On the plus side, when I put them into their enclosure I did note the largest one was starting to show some colour, so hopefully it won't be too long until I have a better shot at positively identifying them. All the other millipedes from this seller were correctly identified, so I'm hopeful.

I'll get some pics when they resurface and keep updating this thread. For now, this is one of the only pics of an adult (male) I've found online.
lossless-page1-220px-Aphistogoniulus_infernalis.tif.png

Criteria

Arachnopeon
Somewhat unrelated, but from the same scientific paper the above pic is from, here are some more awesome Aphistogoniulus. Sp

Photographs-of-living-specimens-A-A-cf-erythrocephalus-male-photograph-by-D-R.png