APBT or Rottweiler or Boxer

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So.. I am thinking of getting a new pup.. That little Lab/Pit mix.. The owners were in fact looking for him.. Once they found we had him.. The decided to cage him up.. :(

My current dog.. Is a Chihuahua.. I have had him since he as a wee little pup.. He is getting old though.. Turned 16 this year.. Still going strong & acts like he is only 5! :D

But I know.. He can only be with me for so much longer..

Anyways.. The only problem I am having is deciding which might be better for me..

I have chosen three types of dogs.. I have only had experiance with Rotties.. They IMO rank above all dogs.. They are awesome! But I am also wanting to try a new breed at the same time..

I have had what I was told was a "Red-nose Brindle Pitbull".. I still dont know much about pitbulls.. Not enough to determine which is actually which.. (If that makes any sence..)

The only experiance I have ever had with a Boxer.. My old room mate had a couple.. IIRC.. They were really energetic..

Anyways.. I chose these three different breeds because they all are amazing breeds.. I really dont want a "mut".. Nothing against them at all! I have had a couple in my lifetime.. But I prefer purebreeds for no real reason other than my own satisfaction.. (Not sure if that sounds wrong.. But.. Its the best reason I can describe..)

Not really worried about the cost of anything... (Vets, toys, food, ect. ect..)
Cost is really not an issue when it comes to any of my pets..

My main concern.. When I start working again.. I might not be able to take them on walks everyday.. Which breed would be OK with say a walk 3-5 times a week?

I wont be able to socialize it when I get it.. Because I am not much of a social person.. And I dont really know where people gather for that kind of stuff.. So..
Which breed would be better for this kind of situation? I dont want it to be all over protective or people aggresive.. People still come to my house once in a while.. People as in parents, sibling, nieces, ect. ect...

My brother had a Rottie when we were younger.. (He was 17, I was 15..) We went for a walk & a guy we never got along with walked up to us.. After a few minute of bickering back and fourth.. I guess the dog got tired of it & lunged at the guys throat.. My brother cought the leash and stopped her before she sunk her teeth in.. The guy took off.. I really dont want a situation like this to happen..

After talking to some people with more experiance with dogs.. I do realize she was (In her own way.. With doggy body language..) saying enough is enough.. Or was being protective because of (Im guessing!) our & the other guys body language.. She knew it was a bad sitation maybe..

Anyways.. Any advice is welcome.. Any questions for me to help me decide can be answered..

Thanks in advance! :)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not sure what you mean by not "knowing enough to determine which is actually which". Do you mean that you aren't sure what is a real American Pit Bull Terrier, as opposed to the countless mongrels and "designer dog" wannabe's, or what? There is ONE breed of American Pit Bull Terrier, and it comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns. A lot of profoundly ignorant people today tend to think of different colors as totally different breeds of "pit bull"; I can't tell you how many times I've seen ads for puppies in which the poster described them as "half American Pit and half Red-Nose". Red-nose is a COLOR, NOT a BREED. It's a recessive genetic mutation that "washes out" the base color, turning black pigment to chocolate/liver and lightening other colors. Blue works the same way, but is a separate recessive dilution gene and therefore not compatible with red-nose(liver). Brindle means that the dog has stripes, like a tiger or a tabby cat, and it's a PATTERN gene. In dogs, pattern and color are inherited separately from each other and controlled by different genes.

BUYER BEWARE-there are a LOT of dogs out there being sold and bred as "pit bulls" that AREN'T! REAL APBT's are NOT large dogs at all; a healthy adult should be able to pick up an adult APBT with no problems. So-called "American Bully" dogs, "Bully Pits", etc., are NOT APBTs! They are mixed-bred Bulldog x Mastiff breeds and have a very different temperament, bred for guarding, than an APBT. If a bloodline is named after Mafia figures, shaving instruments, or King Arthur's court, it's a mixed breed dog, no matter what is on the "papers". Originators of those bloodlines liberally mixed in English, American Bulldog, Neopolitan Mastiff, Dogue de Bordeaux Mastiff, and Cane Corso to get those big, short, chunky, wheezy dogs.

pitbulllady

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wont be able to socialize it when I get it
If this is the case, please do not get a pitbull or rottie. While they are both sweet, wonderful breeds, ALL dogs should be well socialized, or it is just asking for trouble. These two breeds have enough bad press due to poor socialization, training, and breeding. I would hate to see your next dog become another statistic for the media to play with.

Perhaps you are just misunderstanding what socialization entails, though? It doesn't need to be a formal, scheduled meeting with people and/or other dogs. Take your dog with you to see friends and family, bonus if said friends/family have dogs. Walk it in an area where you know there will be a decent ammount of human and/or canine foot traffic. If you live near any stores that are dog-friendly, consider bringing your dog with you while making purchases. Have company or neighbors over for dinner to expose your dog to the idea of novel people on ITS "territory."

There is this very stupid notion going around that dogs need "doggie day camp" and professional training just to have basic "manners" with humans and other dogs. Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years and they sure as heck didn't have any "doggie day camps" to help with that process. Simply exposing your dog to novel situations, people, and dogs - rewarding good behavior and discouraging bad behavior all the while - is a perfectly acceptable way to socialize your dog.

I might not be able to take them on walks everyday.. Which breed would be OK with say a walk 3-5 times a week?
Can you clarify this statement? Do you have a fenced yard the dog would be able to go out in, and the walks would just be something extra you'd do with the dog for exercise/bonding/etc? Or would the dog be cooped up in a kennel/crate/short chain aside from these sporadic walks? If it is the latter, I think you should either reconsider a dog or reconsider your scheduling abilities; plenty of working people have dogs and still walk them several times a day, even if it means waking up early, staying up late, or making a dash home on a lunch break. Bored, under-exercised dogs tend to become destructive dogs at best and potentially neurotic or aggressive dogs at worst.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Which breed would be OK with say a walk 3-5 times a week?
That would be probably the ROTTIE for that

Which breed would be better for this kind of situation? I dont want it to be all over protective or people aggresive.. People still come to my house once in a while.. People as in parents, sibling, nieces, ect. ect...
Probably a BOXER, they are protective of their family, but, when you are relaxed in a social situation they are as well.

Generally speaking the larger the breed the lower the excercise requirement. Thats why you hear all the time how great danes are excellent for apartment dwellers.
I had a friend that test drove a few dogs before she got one, see if anyone has some breeds in your area that your interested in and see if you can keep them for the weekend?That may not be an option where you live but I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A lot of people in my family breed dogs.My mom and brother breed boxers and grandfolks and an uncle breed rots,I have kept pits of game blood line for 25 years and I am a firm believer of it being greatest breed on earth.Nice to have on your side when hog hunting as well.:?Well where I live now all the neighbors are pit prejudice.So I no longer have them.Since my last one past of old age.

Instead my wife keeps a shitzu:p

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not sure what you mean by not "knowing enough to determine which is actually which". Do you mean that you aren't sure what is a real American Pit Bull Terrier, as opposed to the countless mongrels and "designer dog" wannabe's, or what?

pitbulllady
Yes.. Thats what I meant by that.. I like to think I can tell when I am looking at a "bull dog".. But I am not going to sit here a lie and say I do.. So no... Im not sure which is a "true" APBT..

If this is the case, please do not get a pitbull or rottie. While they are both sweet, wonderful breeds, ALL dogs should be well socialized, or it is just asking for trouble. These two breeds have enough bad press due to poor socialization, training, and breeding. I would hate to see your next dog become another statistic for the media to play with.

Perhaps you are just misunderstanding what socialization entails, though? It doesn't need to be a formal, scheduled meeting with people and/or other dogs. Take your dog with you to see friends and family, bonus if said friends/family have dogs. Walk it in an area where you know there will be a decent ammount of human and/or canine foot traffic. If you live near any stores that are dog-friendly, consider bringing your dog with you while making purchases. Have company or neighbors over for dinner to expose your dog to the idea of novel people on ITS "territory."

There is this very stupid notion going around that dogs need "doggie day camp" and professional training just to have basic "manners" with humans and other dogs. Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years and they sure as heck didn't have any "doggie day camps" to help with that process. Simply exposing your dog to novel situations, people, and dogs - rewarding good behavior and discouraging bad behavior all the while - is a perfectly acceptable way to socialize your dog.

Can you clarify this statement? Do you have a fenced yard the dog would be able to go out in, and the walks would just be something extra you'd do with the dog for exercise/bonding/etc? Or would the dog be cooped up in a kennel/crate/short chain aside from these sporadic walks? If it is the latter, I think you should either reconsider a dog or reconsider your scheduling abilities; plenty of working people have dogs and still walk them several times a day, even if it means waking up early, staying up late, or making a dash home on a lunch break. Bored, under-exercised dogs tend to become destructive dogs at best and potentially neurotic or aggressive dogs at worst.
I think I did actually misunderstand the whole notion of socializing.. Because.. I was thinking it needed the whole "doggy park" kind of of thing..

The dog will be going pretty much everywhere with me.. When I go to the familys house.. I take my dog.. When I go to work.. I take my dog.. I could go on for days.. But.. Im sure you get the point..

When I say I wont be able to walk it but 3-5 times a week.. Right now.. I can let it out.. Take it for walks all that good stuff..
But when I go back to work.. I am going to be working 12-20 hours a day.. (Life of a roughneck!) I will be working week on... Week off.. So one week walk the dog 3-5 times... The next week I will be able to walk it everyday.. Then the next week it goes back to 3-5 times.. So on & so fourth..

I also feel if I can "train" a Chihuahua.. Im pretty confident that I can train any of the said breeds.. They are less stubborn! (I hope!)

Added by Edit...

I forgot to say.. I dont leave my dogs outside unsupervised.. Fenced in yard or not.. My brother lost his Rottie by doing that.. Had a huge fenced back yard.. Went out back.. to find the dog dead.. Foaming at the mouth.. We could only imagine her being poisoned..
She was a very healthy dog that just dropped dead!

A lot of people in my family breed dogs.My mom and brother breed boxers and grandfolks and an uncle breed rots,I have kept pits of game blood line for 25 years and I am a firm believer of it being greatest breed on earth.Nice to have on your side when hog hunting as well.:?Well where I live now all the neighbors are pit prejudice.So I no longer have them.Since my last one past of old age.

Instead my wife keeps a shitzu:p
Well.. If I decided to get either a boxer or rottie.. I might come see you about getting one of them! :D

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A REAL APBT should NEVER show aggression towards a human unless their owner is under direct and immediate danger from said human, period. This is probably the WORST guard dog/protection dog on the planet! A normal temperament for this breed is to treat every person they see as their long-lost best friend, and that will include the person who is breaking into your house stealing your computer and wide-screen tv...heck, a normal American Pit Bull Terrier will help them carry it out to their truck! It's little wonder that this is also the most-stolen breed of dog in America, and if they were so bad and vicious, and such awesome guard dogs, that wouldn't be likely, would it? In contrast, the American Bullies have been bred with breeds which have historically been bred and used as guard dogs, and so they are likely to be less friendly with strangers and more territorial. On the plus side, they do not have the energy requirements of a real APBT, which is a TERRIER, so they tend to be more laid-back around the house. An APBT absolutely needs daily rigorous excersise, and better yet, a JOB for an outlet to their energy, otherwise they will create their own "jobs", and chances are you won't like those "jobs" very much.

To help determine of the look of an APBT is right for you, here's a gallery of a buddy of mine on Deviant Art, where he's uploaded a lot of photos of game-bred APBT's at ADBA shows. Now, keep in mind that these dogs are shown in condition, which means that even though they aren't fighting dogs per se, they ARE shown in tip-top athletic condition as if they were being prepared for a match. They are NOT skinny or undernourished, but are in peak althetic condition, which means no excess body fat. Most people are used to seeing dogs that are overweight or even obese, and that is what most folks consider "normal" for a dog, when it's not!
http://blaushepherd.deviantart.com/gallery/

You will note that these dogs are NOT what most people think a "pit bull" looks like, either. They are not big, brawny massive beasts at all. You could easily pick most up and tuck them underneath your arm and walk, something you can't do with a 100+ -pound Bully, but at the same time, most people who feel intimidated by a big, lumbering hulk of a dog won't give these dogs a second look, and the same goes for people who are attracted to a big, menacing-looking dog for all the wrong reasons.

pitbulllady

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK.. So the APBT might not be the dog for me then.. If they need as much working as you say they do.. Your friend has some gorgeous dogs.. Going to have to say Ryker was my favorite! :D

American Bullies.. They do look go to me to.. Their size is what gets me.. They are massive.. Not sure on their attitude.. But their build gets my attention.. Not that they "look scary" or anything like that..

I have also did so looking into an Olde (?) English Bulldog.. I saw a guy selling them on craigslist.. Not sure if that is the route I want to take.. But.. They guy had in his ad that they do not have the healthy issues that a regular (?) English Bulldog will have..

Not really sure on anything they guy had said.. Thought I might question it though..

Also.. You say a "true" APBT will show zero aggression.. The one so call "pit bull" I had.. It only showed aggression once.. To one person.. My sister's now ex husband.. Back before they got married.. He came over.. I was like dude come check out my new pooch! So we walked around to where I had her chained up.. As soon as he walked around the coner she went CRAZY! He left.. Never once did she do that to anyone again.. It was like she had a bad day or something..

Anyways.. I think I might be leaning towards getting another Rottie.. *Sigh* Choices choices....

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 2 boxer's and one before that. Awesome family member's as long as you keep them in line. They can be big goofs and embarrass the hell out of you, lol. Pit's, Rotties and Boxer's are all fine dogs but they are all stubborn and need you to be the pack leader.

Both my dogs listen pretty well but are only 18 months old. Boxer's stay puppy like for 3 years and will test you periodically.Boxer's do not like to be left outside unless your there. They want to be with you.

Now as a guard dog you may want a female Boxer. Mine hears and responds loudly to any noise outside. My male now and the one I had before would growl so low that you couldn't hear them unless your right next to them. Both males also would low growl and hair would raise up when ever some one of questionable behavior comes around. When it comes to children they are awesome. Clumsy but love kids.

Last edited:

SK8TERBOI

Arachnopeon
If you want a Good Dog I have A Doberman and he is very Protective and family oriented loves my brother and entire family and My Blue Pit (Austin) is very Active and loves to play and i had a Rot when i was younger she was more of a lay back and watch the Sunday game with you then again she was already older when i came around but the Doberman is a Good thought did you ever look into any of them i find that my pit loves exercise same as my doberman but with a decent sized yard this could work just as well when you were to work just make sure they cant jump any fences my personal first was an APBT and he is my Buddy goes everywhere (well everywhere he's aloud) but if you have your mind set on the 3 then i would say APBT they are not vicious or monster dogs that is all on the owner how the dog acts not the animal

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OK.. So the APBT might not be the dog for me then.. If they need as much working as you say they do.. Your friend has some gorgeous dogs.. Going to have to say Ryker was my favorite! :D

American Bullies.. They do look go to me to.. Their size is what gets me.. They are massive.. Not sure on their attitude.. But their build gets my attention.. Not that they "look scary" or anything like that..

I have also did so looking into an Olde (?) English Bulldog.. I saw a guy selling them on craigslist.. Not sure if that is the route I want to take.. But.. They guy had in his ad that they do not have the healthy issues that a regular (?) English Bulldog will have..

Not really sure on anything they guy had said.. Thought I might question it though..

Also.. You say a "true" APBT will show zero aggression.. The one so call "pit bull" I had.. It only showed aggression once.. To one person.. My sister's now ex husband.. Back before they got married.. He came over.. I was like dude come check out my new pooch! So we walked around to where I had her chained up.. As soon as he walked around the coner she went CRAZY! He left.. Never once did she do that to anyone again.. It was like she had a bad day or something..

Anyways.. I think I might be leaning towards getting another Rottie.. *Sigh* Choices choices....
Keep in mind that with any mixed-breed or mongrel dog, you can't predict things like temperament, health, size at adulthood, etc., and the "American Bully" IS a mongrel dog, essentially, one that was intentional rather than random. Most of the breeds that went into its on-going creation are noted for severe orthopedic issues; if you mate a severely hip-dysplastic English Bulldog with a genetic heart defect to a severely hip-dysplastic Neopolitan Mastiff with genetic skin disorders, what do you suppose is the likely outcome? This is especially true for lines which have been selectively bred for only the dilute colors, since those colors are linked to many autoimmune disorders. I've had blue APBT's, BUT I did not breed blue to blue, as the more generations you do this, the greater your likelihood of getting puppies which will display symptoms of autoimmune problems, as the dilution genes for both blue and red-nose are linked to the genes for development of the immune system. Most lines of "Bullies" have focused entirely on dilute-colored dogs for many generations; this, along with the massive size, aggressive territoriality and huge head was one of the reasons for inclusion of the Neopolitan Mastiffs, Dogue de Bordeaux(the Turner and Hooch breed), and Cane Corso Mastiff in the mix. Most of those dogs are dilute blues or reds.

Have you considered an American Bulldog, by any chance? There are working lines within that breed that are quite stable, physically, and very athletic without the terrier "hyperness". They look "bulldoggy" without being ponderous and unhealthy. I've hunted wild hogs with people who used these as catch dogs, and I was quite impressed with them. They are more protective and territorial than APBT's, but a good AmBull should be a very controllable, trainable dog. Like Roachgirl said, though, no matter what dog you get, socializing is a MUST, and the bigger the dog, the more vital it is. It's one thing to have a badly-socialized Toy dog that yaps its head off and bites visitors on the ankle, but it's a bad headline when a larger dog, especially one of a breed that is already in the scope of the BSL supporters, shows any negative behavior at all.

pitbulllady

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep in mind that with any mixed-breed or mongrel dog, you can't predict things like temperament, health, size at adulthood, etc., and the "American Bully" IS a mongrel dog, essentially, one that was intentional rather than random. Most of the breeds that went into its on-going creation are noted for severe orthopedic issues; if you mate a severely hip-dysplastic English Bulldog with a genetic heart defect to a severely hip-dysplastic Neopolitan Mastiff with genetic skin disorders, what do you suppose is the likely outcome? This is especially true for lines which have been selectively bred for only the dilute colors, since those colors are linked to many autoimmune disorders. I've had blue APBT's, BUT I did not breed blue to blue, as the more generations you do this, the greater your likelihood of getting puppies which will display symptoms of autoimmune problems, as the dilution genes for both blue and red-nose are linked to the genes for development of the immune system. Most lines of "Bullies" have focused entirely on dilute-colored dogs for many generations; this, along with the massive size, aggressive territoriality and huge head was one of the reasons for inclusion of the Neopolitan Mastiffs, Dogue de Bordeaux(the Turner and Hooch breed), and Cane Corso Mastiff in the mix. Most of those dogs are dilute blues or reds.

Have you considered an American Bulldog, by any chance? There are working lines within that breed that are quite stable, physically, and very athletic without the terrier "hyperness". They look "bulldoggy" without being ponderous and unhealthy. I've hunted wild hogs with people who used these as catch dogs, and I was quite impressed with them. They are more protective and territorial than APBT's, but a good AmBull should be a very controllable, trainable dog. Like Roachgirl said, though, no matter what dog you get, socializing is a MUST, and the bigger the dog, the more vital it is. It's one thing to have a badly-socialized Toy dog that yaps its head off and bites visitors on the ankle, but it's a bad headline when a larger dog, especially one of a breed that is already in the scope of the BSL supporters, shows any negative behavior at all.

pitbulllady
Just to make sure we are clear.. I will not be doing any kind of breeding.. I am only after another family pet.. It will be spayed/neutered.. That is def. not something I feel the need to be part of..

As for an American Bulldog.. It is a possibility.. After googling some images.. They are for sure cute! :D

Would taking them pretty much everywhere with me be socializing enough?

Thats my plans.. S/He will be my tag along buddy.. I go to the lake, family gatherings, work, ect. ect... The dog will be with me..

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh.. I also want to note.. I have looked into Dobies.. But they are not a dog for me.. I really never liked them.. Nothing personal against them.. Just their body type is not to my liking..

I do however really like the American Bulldog.. Its "stalky"!

Thank you all for your replies.. And a big thanks to you PBL.. For taking the time and helping me decide.. No I have not made my mind up just yet.. But now.. I see one that I am really liking.. The AmBull..

Now.. My next problem.. If I decide that is the one I am going to get.. I need to figure out where to get one.. Locally of course.. I cant do the whole paying a heep load for shipping on a dog..

I know of this one guy here locally that breeds bulldogs.. But Im not sure what kind.. I know he has a different dog/pup with him everytime I see him.. He really cares for his.. But I am not going to be one that supports a backyard breeder..

So.. Time for more looking! :D

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh.. I also want to note.. I have looked into Dobies.. But they are not a dog for me.. I really never liked them.. Nothing personal against them.. Just their body type is not to my liking..

I do however really like the American Bulldog.. Its "stalky"!

Thank you all for your replies.. And a big thanks to you PBL.. For taking the time and helping me decide.. No I have not made my mind up just yet.. But now.. I see one that I am really liking.. The AmBull..

Now.. My next problem.. If I decide that is the one I am going to get.. I need to figure out where to get one.. Locally of course.. I cant do the whole paying a heep load for shipping on a dog..

I know of this one guy here locally that breeds bulldogs.. But Im not sure what kind.. I know he has a different dog/pup with him everytime I see him.. He really cares for his.. But I am not going to be one that supports a backyard breeder..

So.. Time for more looking! :D
My cuz just got a few American bull dog pups for free.I gave him his first game pit for a graduation present 5 years ago and he his been hooked in the hog dog sport ever since LOL!! I told them those big American bull dogs can't run,to offend him of course.So he invited my on a hunt to watch their daddy catch.Got my way:? That is what I wanted is an invite.Had to use a little redneck psychology!

Crazy wild a@@ kin folk got to love them:D

Ps a lot of time back yard breeders got the best blood who takes pride in what they are doing.I always did.....and not for profit they usually only keep them in their tight net circle

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What does this mean?

"Daddy is Solid Blue Gotti/Avant and Mom is rednosed Carvers."

This is the kind of stuff that confuses the heck out of me with dogs breeding!

I get that the Daddy is a Solid Blue color.. What is Gotti/Avant? The mom has a rednose.. What is Carvers?

Im guessing the Gotti/Avant & Carvers is the "type" of bulldog? :?

I tried looking for a AmBull on some adopt a pet thing.. Looked in some rescues.. But the ones they have are all blind and such.. Im not able to care for blind dog like it needs.. SO that is out!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My cuz just got a few American bull dog pups for free.I gave him his first game pit for a graduation present 5 years ago and he his been hooked in the hog dog sport ever since LOL!! I told them those big American bull dogs can't run,to offend him of course.So he invited my on a hunt to watch their daddy catch.Got my way:? That is what I wanted is an invite.Had to use a little redneck psychology!

Crazy wild a@@ kin folk got to love them:D

Ps a lot of time back yard breeders got the best blood who takes pride in what they are doing.I always did.....and not for profit they usually only keep them in their tight net circle
See.. Why cant *I* find a few for free? Hmm.. I just dont know the right people! :p

I would like to go out and watch a dog hunt.. Never once have I seen it.. I have always went alone.. Most of the time..

WeezyTheAvic

Arachnopeon
IF your getting into the pit world you will find a few types or styes and theres a big disagrement between bullys and american pit bulls and amstaff terrier. Some say bullys are mutts mixed with many breeds to get the big heads and 120 pound bodys. some say american pits r the same as amstaffs.:wall: I dont want to get to far into it cuse its a hot button and the back and forth dont stop on this topic. Just like cross breeding Ts:embarrassed:. Just do some looking around on youtube and web sites you will see what iam talking about.

Last edited: