Anything to Body Language?

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am unfamiliar with tarantula body language, if there even is a coherent logic to it at all. But in case someone out there is familiar with it: What does it mean if my pulchra sling walks with its abdomen pointing up in the air? It doesn't rest like this, nor always walk like this. Does it feel threatened? It's the only T I have that'll do that...any ideas? Thanks for any help!

:confused:

-LT

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my ex wife did that alot........never did figure out why:?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Only thing I know is if you see the front two legs and the pedipalps up in the air, they don't want to be cuddled.

Bill

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
my ex wife did that alot........never did figure out why:?
=D =D =D

Ok, I answered my own question! It was webbing. It's weird: I was gently touching it from behind with a piece of plastic to gauge Shadow's (my G. pulchra sling) own response....and it's to web.
Hmm :?
Anyway, Shadow must be hungry. He gobbled down three micro crix in a row. I think he caught the second one while the first was still in its fangs :cool:.
Ah well, time to end the night's crix pummeling. I think it has enough for now. Sol (my Chilean Copper) didn't touch his dinner. In due time...due time...

:rolleyes:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I thought they stuck their ass in the air when they were passing T gas. ;P . Sorry, Not much to do tonite but act stupid..

MrT

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My 2 inch H maculata does this sometimes and it is usually when it is spinning a web from one side of its cage to the other side.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's normally the species of the Americas that stick up their behinds. This is a defensive mech. when the molested tarantula is positioning it's urticating hairs towards a threat. I've seen tarantulas of Africa do this, which is quite odd, as they have no urticating hairs. These old world tarantulas main defenses are flight and/or bite.
Hey, tarantulas can do pretty weird things.
I believe there was a recorded instance of Haplopelma albostriatum even playing dead, which is unheard of in tarantula defenses.
john

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My G. Pulchra sling pointed its rear in the air when tiny ants got into its keeper, and later when I transferred it to a temporary container.