Anything strange about this regalis?

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Updated pics of the double banded regalis after a fresh moult. Will try sex the moult later, but this one is looking female to me. :)

Rhodin

Arachnosquire
Shouldn't there be 4 spinnerets if it is indeed a case of conjoined abdomens?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Shouldn't there be 4 spinnerets if it is indeed a case of conjoined abdomens?
Tarantulas normally have four spinnerets back there, but I know what you are getting at.

It all depends on the "severity" of the condition. Obviously the more separated the abdomens are at that end, the greater chance for more than one set of spinnerets.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantulas normally have four spinnerets back there, but I know what you are getting at.

It all depends on the "severity" of the condition. Obviously the more separated the abdomens are at that end, the greater chance for more than one set of spinnerets.
Never actually thought of that...
Is there anything that you guys can see on the moult that makes it look like there are doubles of certain organs? Any guesses as to the sex?

batterybound

Arachnopeon
In sheer numbers, with 200 eggs in an eggsac doesn't it just seem highly likely that some of them will develop incorrectly / strangely? Are all cases of conjoined twins even genetic, or could it be an instance where there wasn't enough space in the abdomen and two eggs got "smashed" together before being laid? Just curious.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2 quick pics to see what you guys think.
The first is of the double folio regalis and the second is of its brother/sister in the post above this.
Does everything look normal? They are both the same size, but there seems to be a difference in the size of the booklungs.

Double folio:

Brother/sister:

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now here is something I haven't noticed till tonight.
The double banded regalis has an extra pair of undeveloped spinnerets. Suppose this proves that it is conjoined twins?

nicolevins

Arachnopeon
The double banded regalis has an extra pair of undeveloped spinnerets. Suppose this proves that it is conjoined twins?
See Hobo's post above.

My 5 Ts also have 2 sets of spinnerets.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This one has 3 sets. There is an undeveloped set on the dorsal side of the usual 2 sets. You can see them on the pic. They are pale compared to the usual 2 sets.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member

Now that's interesting!
I wonder if they are functional?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm going to mark this thread. it's pretty interesting. I wonder what we'll figure out!

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So the double banded regalis moulted and is female. :)
Not mature yet, but guess another moult or 2. As usual, she destroyed the moult a bit, but didn't see anything strange on it.
Here are a few pics:

FoxtheLviola

Arachnosquire
This thread is so interesting! Thank you for updating, and I am glad the regalis turned out to be female.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Successful mating between the double folio regalis and a male with a different folio as well. :)

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Successful mating between the double folio regalis and a male with a different folio as well. :)

please PLEASE keep us updated if the sack turns out to be viable. I would really love to see if anything special happens in the babies.