anyone with a B. Smithi please answer!

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I purchased a young B. Smithi (1.5") about 3 weeks ago, and I have since bought a G. Pulchripes and a Avic. Avic. However, one thing I am still unsure about is how moist the substrate should be for the Smithi? The local pet shop guy told me to make it pretty damp (enough to make clumps) and various websites said to keep it on the dryer side. I had her in a deli container with some pretty damp eco earth, and I noticed a little bit of white mold growing on it today, so I immediately made some air holes in the tupperware and put fresh eco earth in it for her new home. The ecoearth is a little damp, and I put a small water bottle cap in the corner for her water dish. Can someone that actually takes care of them please let me know what they keep theirs at?
Thanks in advance guys!

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have my 2" female in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a screen lid and about 5-6" of substrate and a half coconut hide.

Bone dry and I add a small 20oz soda cap for water though she constantly moves it around and stacks substrate on it. She has since burrowed and excavated most of the sub on one end into a pile at the other nearly to the top and enjoys staying at the lower levels.

They like it bone dry.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
although slings/juvies need higher moisture than adults, brachypelma slings/juvies don't need really high humidity to the point the sub is consistantly wet. i was under the impression that bone dry at this size also wasn't entirely correct. i forget if the waxy cuticle coating adults have is fully formed by 1.5", so i would still mist part of the enclosure to avoid possible dessication until at least 2".

i've been keeping both of mine on the dryer side (one 3" and one 1"), moistening a corner of the substrate by misting/spraying. i hesistate at 1.5" to say a water dish of any kind is a good idea, but a very shallow bottle cap probably is okay.

Last edited:

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
According to Schultz (and you might try getting a hold of his book, Tarantula Keeper's Guide), the B smithi's substrate should never be damp, and even misting should be avoided. Water should be obtained through food and a water dish.

It's what I go by, bone-dry substrate, water dish, and food, and my smithi is thriving.

fistinface

Arachnopeon
I keep my B. smithi dry also. It has a water dish that I have to check all the time to make sure it isn't full of the substrate.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At 1.5" sling, for my B. smithi I kept half of his substrate slightly damp, and the other half dry.
I could tell when he was getting ready to molt as he would spend more and more time on teh moist side.

Geospider

Arachnopeon
I believe in keeeping the substrate dry in most cases because it prevents a lot of mold and bacteria issues. If you live in an area where the room air is very dry and are unsure if a small water dish is adequate, use a double container set-up. I house all of my slings under about 2.5-3 inches in their tupperware container inside another larger ventilated container with a large water dish, it keeps the humidity high ~70-80% but no wet substrates.

yannigarrido2

Arachnosquire
keep it dry the t will climb the glass if the substrate is damp and may get stressed if kept too moist. for 1.5" t i mist a little bit one side of the enclosure

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I keep my little girl's tank dry as a bone with a water dish. She's doing great!

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with the half moist substrate for a tiny sling. When they get large enough for a water dish, then keep the substrate completely dry.

Geospider, great advice for the double tank for humidity.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
My B smithi is close to 2". I keep a milk cap full of water and about twice a weeks mist one wall just a little. The heat is on here and the air is extremely dry. She's doing very well, eating like a pig and seems happy. My sub is bone dry except for a little next to the wall when i spritz and that dries out between misting.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My B smithi is close to 2". I keep a milk cap full of water and about twice a weeks mist one wall just a little. The heat is on here and the air is extremely dry. She's doing very well, eating like a pig and seems happy. My sub is bone dry except for a little next to the wall when i spritz and that dries out between misting.
It isn't a dire situation if you choose to keep in on dry substrate with a water dish, but it isn't what I would recommend. By spraying the wall once a week and wetting a portion of the substrate as a result, and having a wider than normal water dish, you are adding the extra humidity it needs.

There is no need to have it swampy, or overly wet in a small sling enclosure. Just wetting a portion(as much as half) of the substrate once a week is all we do. It is fine for it to slowly dry out in between.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I will leave her in the slightly damp substrate with the cap of water until the substrate naturally dries out and then I will spray one side once or twice a week. I will post a picture of her later, I am pretty sure she will molt soon as she is getting very dark and hasn't eaten in 10 days.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I will leave her in the slightly damp substrate with the cap of water until the substrate naturally dries out and then I will spray one side once or twice a week. I will post a picture of her later, I am pretty sure she will molt soon as she is getting very dark and hasn't eaten in 10 days.
When the abdomen is not only dark, but is black and shiny; the molt is pretty imminent. I look forward to the pictures! :)

Arachnopal

Arachnopeon
Only time i mist my smithi tank is when it acts like its ready to molt. I do it once and lightly. Rest of the time its just a water dish. Kneesie is about 1.5 inches and enjoys desert climates.