Anyone wise in the way of giant crimson day geckos?

TowerofFae

Arachnopeon
Heya sorry to bother y'all but my GF just spent 15 minutes trying to sign up to a reptile forum so she could ask a question (it didn't work) and y'all have been wonderful with my spider questions. So I said she might be able to ask it here.

"hi everyone, i am currently keeping a crimson giant day gecko who has recently begun exhibiting a strange behavior only in the evening (usually around 7-9 pm). every minute or so, he'll climb down from his basking spot to the cork log on his substrate and proceed to throw himself at the front opening door of the enclosure. he will then sometimes nose at the crack where the door opens like he wants to get out, before going back up to his perch. rinse and repeat for about 2 hours.

does anyone know what might be causing this behavior? for reference, my gecko is living in an 18x18x24 bioactive enclosure with with a day and night lamp, a uvb light, and a supplemental heat mat. I've checked the enclosure with a temperature gun and there is a heat gradient from 70-90 degrees. most importantly, he's eating regularly and is still a bright green while jumping against the door, so he seems content and healthy aside from this behavior. any advice or insight on this is much appreciated!!"

P.S. I will add a photo of the enclosure as soon as she sends it to me

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I would argue checking enclosure for an out. I haven’t owned this species but have seen similar behaviors in other reptiles. My ball python is currently doing this. Like clockwork checks for an out. As long as healthy overall, and being kept accordingly, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

TowerofFae

Arachnopeon
I would argue checking enclosure for an out. I haven’t owned this species but have seen similar behaviors in other reptiles. My ball python is currently doing this. Like clockwork checks for an out. As long as healthy overall, and being kept accordingly, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
Thank you! I'm going to hand her the phone.

"thank you for the quick response! that does sound likely, and he is being kept to all the care guide standards, so if it's a behavior present in other reptiles then I'll just let him do his thing."

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
OP’s story, and @Poonjab ’s reply reminds me of this ‘The Jurassic Park’ quote:

Muldoon : That's right, but they never attack the same place twice. They were testing the fences for weaknesses, systematically. They remember.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Heya sorry to bother y'all but my GF just spent 15 minutes trying to sign up to a reptile forum so she could ask a question (it didn't work) and y'all have been wonderful with my spider questions. So I said she might be able to ask it here.

"hi everyone, i am currently keeping a crimson giant day gecko who has recently begun exhibiting a strange behavior only in the evening (usually around 7-9 pm). every minute or so, he'll climb down from his basking spot to the cork log on his substrate and proceed to throw himself at the front opening door of the enclosure. he will then sometimes nose at the crack where the door opens like he wants to get out, before going back up to his perch. rinse and repeat for about 2 hours.

does anyone know what might be causing this behavior? for reference, my gecko is living in an 18x18x24 bioactive enclosure with with a day and night lamp, a uvb light, and a supplemental heat mat. I've checked the enclosure with a temperature gun and there is a heat gradient from 70-90 degrees. most importantly, he's eating regularly and is still a bright green while jumping against the door, so he seems content and healthy aside from this behavior. any advice or insight on this is much appreciated!!"

P.S. I will add a photo of the enclosure as soon as she sends it to me
Convicts always look to escape

TowerofFae

Arachnopeon
Convicts always look to escape
I don't think he'd find his favorite foods in the wilds of Washington
Definitely not his #1 fave gecko diet with apricots. Without that he would be a very sad boy

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I assume you're talking about Phelsuma grandis Madagascarensis. I bred them some years ago.
How is your humidity level? I used to block off part of my screen top to keep humidity in during the winter. I never saw a behavior like you're describing in my specimens. They would sometimes try and make a dash for freedom when removing their screen top.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I would argue checking enclosure for an out. I haven’t owned this species but have seen similar behaviors in other reptiles.
Nod nod. Very common behavior up at the snake farm among almost all inmates, both snakes and other. Most settle down after a while. Some methodically check the ingress after each feeding. It's much more common with the active hunters like the cobras than the more passive ones like the pythons. (And Siamensis never settle down. Always ready to crap on your birthday cake the second you come into view.)