Anyone who has bred C gracilis and C sculpturatus, I need help

Archer33389

Arachnopeon
So I started out my journey to breed scorpions with the afore mentioned species. I got 1 male and 2 females of each species and housed the 2 different species separately. Approximately 8 months later I have 121 babies as can be seen below and I am starting to get overwhelmed... I keep each baby in a separate 5.5 oz deli cup and load all of them into an incubator to keep them separate but feeding and watering them is becoming such a time commitment that I am having trouble keeping up with all 121 enclosures 2x's a week. I have about 27 3rd and 4th instar C gracilis and the rest are comprised of about 30 2nd instar C sculturatus and about 64 C gracilis 2nd instar. Does anyone have any suggestions for easing the burden of care? The same species and approximate same instar cannot be kept in a community tank until they are adults correct? I have been misting and feeding them 2x's a week currently with flightless fruitflies mainly.

Attachments

GordoOldman

Arachnoknight
It is amazing how fast a few species of Centruroides becomes a few thousand...

I house juvies together in larger enclosures with deep leaf litter and a large array of hides...(gracilis) keep them well fed and some cannibalism does occur...but most raise up fine and become another colony. I seperate some due to phenotypes or to mix genetics.

C. sculpturatus I have always set up and left communally, size of enclosure is important, plenty of hides (cholla, bark and stones are mostly what I utilize).

I have seperated and raised groups solitary...aside from space and time, I have found communally kept individuals grow faster.

LuciferLordian

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
I also keep my gracilis juvies communally (~25 2nd and 3rd instars). No issues so far. When you have that many young living together, like Gordo said, you’ll get some cannabilism, but it’s not often and it’s a means of weeding out weaker individuals (culling the herd if you will). Just make sure that you have some solid horizontal pieces of cork bark or something similar, as they need this for molting. I throw in 20-30 pinheads about twice a week and they’re happy. Will make your feeding and care time a fraction of what it is now.

Archer33389

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys! I rehoused my 60 2nd and 3rd instars into a 10 gallon tank with a bunch of hides. Hopefully all goes ok! Has anyone here ever used vasaline around the upper rim of the tank as a way of keeping them from scaling the glass/caulking? I have done it with roaches but never scorpions.