Anyone tried card boxes?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I used to have a bunch of cards, now I have empty card boxes, plenty of these in different sizes, thought they might make a decent little "display" setup for slings, anyone ever tried them? Thoughts?

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I used to have a bunch of cards, now I have empty card boxes, plenty of these in different sizes, thought they might make a decent little "display" setup for slings, anyone ever tried them? Thoughts?
I have not but they look interesting.

I would remove the latch and hinges and replace them with something a bit more secure/reliable. Other then that they should work great for slings. Good height once the substrate is in and they should be easy to drill as well.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I uavent tried them oersonally for T's but when i was a kid and collected cards i can vouch for their size variety and agree they'd be easy to drill and wouod work great.

I say go for it and post results. Those of us with experience making DIY enclosures can prob help tweak it and collectivly idea gather :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
My phone sucks apparently so I can only upload one pic at a time, but here's what I have so far. There is a hide in there though it's hard to see, it's covered with substrate in the upper left corner. Water dish, which will be swapped out to a cup in a cup once I get a water bottle. Fake plant mounted through a vent hole. 4 holes on the shorter sides, 5 on back, none on front, and 4 on top near corners to prevent condensation in corners. Used a small heated drill bit and it sailed through, clean as well.

Considering adding a small singular metal latch on the center rear (from a broken jewelry box drawer) but it might be overkill, the latches on it are in good shape and nice and sturdy top

Any other ideas/ thoughts? I'm considering using it for my incoming Euathlus sp red at 1/2 to 3/4"

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I can't believe I've never thought of these! I've got quite a few laying around here somewhere back from my Magic obsession days. From what I remember, they're pretty darn sturdy, at least the ones I had. They wouldn't require any more modifications other than air holes. You're able to buy high-end ones with better locks and hinges, but those would be a waste of money in my opinion.

Awesome find, man. Now you're thinking with portals.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I use them, works great looks great, drills super easy if you use low speed. I'll dig up some pictures. My favorite sling enclosures.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
They scratch easy but a little minimal care and it's zero issue :)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
How have I not been using these?!

@viper69, you need to see these. Cheap, crystal clear, easy to modify.
I liked the way it turned out a lot. I will actually be converting a lot of these now that I know im not crazy lol. I noticed I didn't get black buildup on the plastic like I do with some others when using my heated bit. Also noticed it didn't leave any sharp edges, what was there brushed right off with a wipe of the hand. I was thinking about an arboreal setup too but looks like @Kymura beat me to it (those look awesome btw) I also remember I have some bigger slide on 2 piece boxes that may work too.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
They scratch easy but a little minimal care and it's zero issue :)
Get some gel toothpaste without any abrasives in it and gently rub a small amount over the scratches in small circles. That usually helps with minor scratches in plastic.

Personally, to avoid that, I'd carefully lay over clear packing tape.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
People have used these. Just make sure the lid isn't too easy or too hard to lift. They shatter pretty easily, so go slow if you drill holes.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
People have used these. Just make sure the lid isn't too easy or too hard to lift. They shatter pretty easily, so go slow if you drill holes.
Captain Buzzkill :shifty: Here I thought we had a million dollar idea.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Personally love them. I'm gentile with my tiny guys anyway so they work perfectly. Drilled six the other day with no issues. Used a low speed with a cheap battery black and decker drill and they all drilled perfectly. Going to get some of the larger ones next time. These (mine) are the 150 card size.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I can't believe you haven't either, this is very disappointing news... are you sure you deserve a YouTube channel :wideyed:
It's a boring day in the T world when I don't learn something new. I'm still a newbie myself - under 5 years in the hobby. I've just learned quickly, but I learn more every day from the likes of you, CB, Poec54, Advan, and so on.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
It's a boring day in the T world when I don't learn something new. I'm still a newbie myself - under 5 years in the hobby. I've just learned quickly, but I learn more every day from the likes of you, CB, Poec54, Advan, and so on.
Give yourself some credit sir, when I think of the most knowledgeable on the boards off the top of my head I think of you, along with cold blood, poec, and viper. You're helping out the newbies like me a lot

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Nice looking setups. I still am leery of those hinges and latch but at that size the T is not likely to force it. You just have to make sure it's latched all the way.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Give yourself some credit sir, when I think of the most knowledgeable on the boards off the top of my head I think of you, along with cold blood, poec, and viper. You're helping out the newbies like me a lot
Thank you :) I'll take the compliment, but I'm lightyears behind those three. Chris is also huge around here. I just happen to love helping people around these forums, and I have quite a bit of spare time at work. Like right now!

Between working full time and going to school full time, I don't get much social time. This is a convenient way to replace that.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Thank you :) I'll take the compliment, but I'm lightyears behind those three. Chris is also huge around here. I just happen to love helping people around these forums, and I have quite a bit of spare time at work. Like right now!

Between working full time and going to school full time, I don't get much social time. This is a convenient way to replace that.
I agree! Can't believe I forgot about chris, he's great, and we share a name, so he's gotta be cool. I also work full time and go to school, so I understand how the forums become your social life haha. Plus how many people located near us share our passion for T?

Side note your youtube videos are really cool and informative, I watched them all for a crash course entering the hobby. Great job organizing and presenting good info