Anyone shed some light on this situation?

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all,

Can anyone shed some light on what the 'true minax' is?

I have what I've learnt as the Haplopelma Minax is (velvetty black). Until justa few days ago, I recieved a spider called 'Haplopelma Aureopilosum' Which the person who sent me it -and a fair few others' say this is the 'true minax'...

This 'Aureopliosum' hs black legs with orange lines down the sides and a paler gray cephalothorax and abdomen.

Can anyone help with the confusion? If the 'aureopilosum' IS the true minax... what's the minax?!:?

Thanks

This is what I've learnt as the minax:
http://www.arachnopets.com/images/timages/hminaxc.jpg

Yet recently people are telling me that this, what I learnt as aureopilosum, is indeed the minax:
http://www.swiftinverts.com/pix/Haureo2.jpg

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!

The top picture is the true H. minax. That is why it is called H. minax.

The bottom one is H. aureopilosum. In fact, it is a female H. aureopilosum. NOT A MINAX! Not a true minax -- Not a false minax. NOT A MINAX.

IMO, the female H. aureopilosum is the best looking Haplopelma there is. Actually, I think that it is one of the best looking spiders period! But NOT A MIXAX!!!

Jon

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Yes, that is definately H. minax in the first picture, and H. sp. "aureopilosum" in the second. There is a variant of H. sp. "aureopilosum" that doesn't have the orange, but it's still visually different than the H. minax (it has banding on the leg joints, and is more a dark brown than black. But your T's are pretty clear cases in those pictures :)

Bill

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think the source of this confusion is that H. auriopilosum was imported for years under the wrong name, H. minax. This mistake was recognized a couple years ago, but you still ocasionally see H. auriopilusum with the wrong name attached to it.

Wade