Anyone planning on seeing "Spiders Alive"

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I hope I find some time to check it out, not that I think they will have anything that I haven't seen or owned lol. Regardless the AMNH is awesome regardless if there is a spider display or not.

Later, Tom

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Amanda and I are trying to see if we can go down and check it out. Like Tom said, as far as Ts go, I am sure we will not be "surprised" but I am more curious to see everything else for the other arachnid orders and even other spiders!

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi All,

I was there for member's preview on Friday; well done. Not designed to show rarely seen species, but some interesting animals none-the-less. All very visible, webs as well. Nice movie and photos, very kid friendly LOU BEND.jpg as you can see from photo of my little nephew, he enjoyed immensely. A friend in the Entomology Dept. there took me behind the scenes as well, which is always a thrill.

Perhaps you'll enjoy:

Hunting Huntsman Spiders in the Bronx

NY TImes review

Best, Frank

S2000

Arachnopeon
Bleh, $19 to see tarantulas I already own and a 10 minute "presentation" consisting of a guy pokin' a rose hair and emperor scorpion. The exhibit was interesting albeit small and best suited for kids, not adults. I visited yesterday (9/10) on a whim after boarding the train not realizing I didn't have work that day :(

I have crappy cell phone pics but I doubt anyone wants to see them lol.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Such things make me sad, there's always a bunch of kids poking the enclosures with their filthy hands to make the spiders move.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi, thanks for the feedback. Actually, the museum's spider exhibit is very well-controlled; visitors are let in on a timed basis, only a certain number at a time, according to ticket purchase, security personnel are always present; museum visitors tend to be well-behaved in any event (I've worked at many, and several zoos, over the past 25 years). In earlier times, visitors to the Bx Zoo were very badly behaved; situation is somewhat improved today, but not ideal. Security is tight though, and people are corrected or ejected as needed. The most impressive visitors I've ever seen were in Japan - even groups of teenagers behaved wonderfully, and so exhibits can be designed to allow great views and close contact. Japanese tourists here in the US are unfailingly well-mannered also. Best, Frank