Anyone know what this is?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just picked this up at the local petstore. They had no idea what it was, or it's origin. They had it labeled as a Huntsman though. Not likely.

Thanks

Atrax

Attachments

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks a bit like a trapdoor spider, although the legs are longer than any pic I've seen of a trapdoor.
If it's not, I have no clue what it could be, cool spider though! :)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by ArachnoJoost
Looks a bit like a trapdoor spider, although the legs are longer than any pic I've seen of a trapdoor.
If it's not, I have no clue what it could be, cool spider though! :)
The tarsal segments are all wrong for a trap door, though. Definitely doesn't look like a huntsman.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Its definetely of the suborder Orthognatha (mygalomorphs). Most likely some sort of Dipluridae/Nemesiidae (funnel-web mygalomorph), although the spinnerets are usually very long in this family. The specimen could also possibly be of the family Atypidae (purseweb spiders), although this is unlikely as the chelicerae of this family are usually very large relative to body size.

Alex S.

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
From the size, its definetely not a USA species. Most likely some sort of African or Asian Nemesiid/Atypid.

Alex S.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it had been a huntsman, it would have scambled aot of that cup and been gone before a picture could be taken!

Wade

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, from a bit of web research and putting 2 and 2 together I believe it may be a Barychelidae. Most likely from Tanzania. (the Tanzanian Yellow Legged (S. morsitans ssp.) 'pedes arrived in the same shipment.
I found a site on invertibrate zoology specifically on inverts collected in East Africa that had info supporting my theory. Also, there's a guy on ATS enthusiast with a very similar spider which is probably very closely related (but not identical) to mine. It is suggested that his is a Barychelidae as well. I know I can't be sure based purely on pics and internet research. I feel I'm in the right direction.

Atrax

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes, it is very possible that it could be of the family Barychelidae. The design of the chelicerae look very similar to other Barychelids and the specimen really had none of the characteristics of the Nemesiidae (funnel-webs) or Atypidae (purse-webs).

Alex S.

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice spider, whats it temperment like?

maybe Macrothele?

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The spinnerets are way to short to be of the genus Macrothele or any Nemesiid (funnel-web) for that matter.

Alex S.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Re: hey

Hey James, its not a hunstman because it is not a true spider (suborder: Labidognatha). It is a mygalmorph (suborder: Orthognatha), but not a trapdoor spider because the anatomy is much different. It is most likely a Barychelid.

Alex S.

Last edited: