anyone know what this is (T in suspended animation?)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey all-

i'm getting ready to leave town for a bit and i'm doing a final T-check, and i noticed one of my P.murinus was in an odd position:

basically, its built a little 'shelf-web' in its burrow and its got its front legs all scrunched up, resting on this little shelf, and the back 2 legs are on the back of the burrow.

its hard to explain, and i know these pics are horrible, but once you initially find the T, you'll be able to see what i mean.

there's no movement really (i brushed the back of its abdomen and it SLIGHTLY scrunched up).. but otherwise, nothing.

its not a death-curl...

i'm thinking either an odd pre-molt,
or possibly some odd pre-egg-laying behaviour =D (i highly doubt it, but it would be cool).

by the way, in this pic, you can see the 2 legs hanging down (legs III), and the other legs (legs IV) holding up the T in the burrow...

I'm not worried, im just wondering if anyone else has noticed this type of behaviour.

thanks,
peace
dave

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
another shot... you're looking at mostly the underneath (the
ventral side) of the T.

i wear old spice, by the way

Last edited:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
taken face on --

the T is angled upwards, facing the corner of the tank...

later
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
last shot.

i know the pics aren't too good, but i didn't really want to disturb it so much, and i think once you can see where the T is, its pretty clear... ;)

not worried, again...

just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of behaviour.

thanks!
dave

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its hard to say, but mine sometimes do that when they get hungry, might be some sort of hunting trap or something, waiting for something to stumble by.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Has she been bred? The abdomen looks to be a fairly good size.

Action Jackson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My H. Lividum does that all the time, but it doesn't often eat while in the position. I dunno, sorry I can't be of more help.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well the T's hasn't eaten anything in 2 days. normally food barely hits the substrate before she snaps it up -- but nothing since 2 days ago, so i don't think its food.....

and i don't know if she's been bred, otherwise i'd know if it was normal odd-T-pre-egg-laying behaviour ;)

i *MAY* have recieved a gravid female when i got her 2 weeks ago, which would be pretty cool.. but i don't think so..

it's nothing to worry about, and now i know some other Ts prop themselves up :)

peace
dave

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
A gravid T would be too cool:cool:

My tiny Usambara do something like that, near the top
of their funnel webs, usually they are waiting for a meal
to fall out of the sky:)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I have noticed that with my aphonopelmas. Maybe the front 6 legs are tired?:? They seem to like to assume that position, and of course I don't know why... that's precisely why they do it!!!=D Maybe it's a tarantula lounge pose!?!?

P.S. Dave... ALL my men wear Old Spice... or they wear nothing at all!!!!:D