Anyone know how to keep praying mantis?

C0kaCoLa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I caught a really huge 1 and thought of keeping it until maybe next year

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where did you catch it, And Can ya post a couple pix?? Most Mantids I dont know about other than the one's we find here in Colorado and they're pretty easy to keep...A Tall enclosure with a couple sticks (if not live plants) worked pretty well from my expierence :)

C0kaCoLa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It was caught at the motorcycle park on the wall in my hostel. I cant get any pics now because i keep it in a plastic bag in my hostel. I will post the pic next week, if it is not dead by then. I only feed it a spider once then no more.

The Centipede

Arachnosquire
praying mantid's love humidity i would say keep it in a 2 gallon to a 5 gallon container. mist leaves inside the container every morning so it can drink the water droplets and keep it semi next to a window. for some sunlight. also they will eat once every three or four days a cockroach, a fly, spiders, or just about everything except beetles they dont like hard shelled stuff. and also provide sticks and stuff for them to perch on.

The Centipede

Arachnosquire
Oh Gosh! that's what i get for not reading the date LOL

but it's the thought that counts right? i just wanted to help a poor soul who needed to know how to take care of his mantis.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Oh Gosh! that's what i get for not reading the date LOL

but it's the thought that counts right? i just wanted to help a poor soul who needed to know how to take care of his mantis.
You helped me -- I was just searching so I can give better care to mine. Didn't know about the humidity but did give mine a water bowl. :) Advice NOT wasted -- and others will no doubt find this thread as I did.