Anyone keeping fire millipedes?

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just bought a pair of Madagascar fire millipedes. I here they eat oak leaves, cucumbers etc. I had these a few years ago and they never lived to long. What temp and food do you use. I am interested in responses from long term captives. Breeding????
Thanks,

Bob

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Millies~:0)

I have 2 of them. They were purchased a few weeks ago, so my experience is limited. There is a page
on the net @ http://www.petbugs.com
Oaks leaves are a good choice but they need other things like apples, cucumbers & romaine lettuce.
The only thing I have to say is watch the humidity, when it's high the mites get really bad!:eek:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, i think the mean reason why firemilipedes die so quickly is the same reason as by pilmilipedes, they both come from Madagascar, and they shouldn't be kept to hot!!!, they rather like 15-18°C then 20°, keep them very humid and feed them with rotten wood and leaves, additionally cucumber and other vegetables

hope you'll keep these ones longer alive

Let me know what your experiences are with firemilipedes, greetz

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
All of my millies live in a small tank at room temperature, no heater.
I use ground oak leaves, you can pick them up in the yard, or you can purchase them at the garden
supply. They are sold as a soil amendment for house plants:) Along with their veggies it seems
to keep them happy=D

zoobugs

L.D.50
Old Timer
I believe if you've got pillipedes or fires from Madagascar, you'll have to keep them at around 60-65F to increase your chances of thriving.