Anyone Keep Large Springtails?

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm in the U.S. and am interested in keeping the larger variety of springtails. Found some neat videos on them. I'm also keeping the regular small species that we often seen like the tropic pinks. But I've seen some really large springtails, still small but a lot bigger than the ones we have. Anyone know why they're not as popular to keep and if they're even sold? I love watching the small ones so I thought the big ones would be really great to see.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Anyone know why they're not as popular to keep and if they're even sold?
It would be far better if they are smaller, so they would not be so bothersome to whatever live animals I keep. If I were to use any of larger ones, then I would rather go for isopods instead. That’s just my opinion.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I might be wrong but i think many of the larger Collembola may be feeding on live plants and are found in green vegitation, aka hard to keep in enclosed spaces.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
I keep the ones that in the dart frog hobby are simply called "Giant Springtails". I've never seen a species name attached to them.

They're white, about 150% as long as the typical Folsomia candida and maybe twice as massive. They move comparatively quickly, and have a bad habit of infesting my isopod cultures (not an actual problem, but I'd rather they weren't in there). They seem easy to culture (I use charcoal and water and feed bakers' yeast, though they do fine on ABG with primary feedings of Morning Wood).

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I've collected a few with leaf litter, but they've not taken off in enclosures. It'll be the big autumn haul soon, so I'll be giving it another go. I suspect part of the issue is I haven't found enough of the same species. Larger ones I've seen locally include Orchesella cincta and an Entomobrya species.

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
I've managed to breed an unidentified species of Morulina, which grow up to 8 mm and look very different from your typical springtail in the hobbyist community. Unfortunately these large poduromorphs tend to be somewhat specialized in diet, as well as being difficult to collect (however, in my opinion, they are the best looking and most rewarding species). As stated above, there are also large arboreal springtails. These all belong to the entomobryomorphs, the most striking group being the salininids, medium sized, lanky, and remarkably colorful springtails that are often found on vegetation. You'll also get decently sized terrestrial entomobryomorphs, such as the often very pretty Orchosella, and many of the sierinae. I'm not aware of any large symphypleona. Theres an annoying amount of carelessness and disinterest often presented towards springtails as a group, with lazy identification and incredibly confusing and unspecific common names slapped on. Combined with the fact that many springtails are just too complicated or demanding husbandry-wise for people to bother with and you get the current situation where they're left as CUC or niche pets among niche pets.

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We sold giant springtails a while back for animals requiring small live insects like Brookesia pygmy chameleons.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Anyways, here are some pics of Tomocerus minor, a large springtail I'm breeding rather successfully. They seem to prefer rotten wood as a medium, and like it relatively cool and quite humid, with good airflow too. Large adults get so big they look like little roaches to me, (4-6mm body length) and yet this is apparently the smallest species in the genus (at least in the US).

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Anyways, here are some pics of Tomocerus minor, a large springtail I'm breeding rather successfully. They seem to prefer rotten wood as a medium, and like it relatively cool and quite humid, with good airflow too. Large adults get so big they look like little roaches to me, (4-6mm body length) and yet this is apparently the smallest species in the genus (at least in the US).

I kept one that looked very similar to this in size and colour, lifespan was about a month, but I'm unsure how old it was when I collected. It wasn't parthenogenic unfortunately so I didn't end up with babies.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I kept one that looked very similar to this in size and colour, lifespan was about a month, but I'm unsure how old it was when I collected. It wasn't parthenogenic unfortunately so I didn't end up with babies.
Mine seem to live at least a couple months as adults, though can be sensitive to high heat or dryness.