Anyone keep/interested in Phormictopus?

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
It seems to be a genus that doesn’t get much attention in the hobby. Though I can’t understand why. From what I’ve read about them they somewhat remind me of Lasiodora, though they get a little more colorful and only slightly smaller. Indeed the only species I personally knew of was P. cancerides as of a 6-7 years ago. And from what I’ve seen the genus seems a bit...cloudy shall we say?

My first and so far only experience with these was a large P. cancerides I bought a Repticon years ago. It didn’t last long in my care unfortunately. Long story short it molted about a month after I got it, I came home one morning and found it unmistakably dead a remain at a loss of explanation for it.

I didn’t think much more about this genus since then, until I started wanting another T for the first time in years. I don’t think there many, if any, CB Phormictopus in the hobby at time, but that seems to be changing as of late. In my pursuits I came across this article that’s making me want to give this genus/species another try.

Who has experience? Preferably better ones then mine lol

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I keep one young Phormictopus cancerides. Such a great eater. I have not seen it refusing to eat unless it is in pre molt or in post molt.

F2E7FABB-5228-4B8A-98F7-BED2232C7538.jpeg

E6B49B4B-EC0B-4A6B-BE22-074DFC574BDA.jpeg

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I like them but never see them really at shows. I did just find one though and got it immediately. I now have a small sling P auratus and I'm super excited for this golden beauty

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My Phormictopus collection isn't as extensive as Tom Moran's, but I have 6 species (9 specimens.)

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I have a phormictopus cancerides. It's a good eater and has molted at least twice in like 4-5 months of having it. Probably around 1 inch now

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I have an AF P. auratus and a Phormictopus sp. Dominican purple sling. The P. auratus has been relatively shy and skittish, but she is absolutely stunningly beautiful. Her colors become more pronounced the larger she grows. She also has a very strong feeding response. The sling so far has some serious attitude. Gave me a threat posture at less than an inch in size! Tackles prey its own size with ease and is growing quickly. This genus has some absolutely gorgeous species and the cool thing about them is that females are also very colorful, unlike Pamphos where it's mostly the males that are brightly colored.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
I have a P. sp. "South Hispaniola" sling. Growth rate has been good. It prefers to kick hairs at its food or occasionally just slap the crap out of it rather than tackle it outright. Temperament can best be described as "surly". It tends to hang around the plants but it doesn't hide or burrow.
A nice little T.

RevS

Arachnopeon
Did someone say Phormictopus?

I've been interested in the genus ever since doing my initial research on Ts before I got into the hobby but quickly realized those are not initial starter Ts.
Those are large, beautiful Ts with a bit of a bad rep - if you look around (even in some old threads here) you'll find some people claiming that they're the "evil" NWs.

I don't think the bad rep is deserved (which is probably true to all animals with bad reputation) but they are definitely not suitable for beginners.

First of all - the genus is a mess and keeping your specimen labelled is necessary. For example there are three different kinds of green Phormictopus (P.sp."green",P.sp."green (gold carapace)" and P.sp."green femur").
This genus is in dire need of review.

They can differ quite a bit when it comes to temperament but my first specimen - P. sp. "green (gold carapace)" - which I got as my 3rd T was a learning eqperience. It's very skittish, quick to throw hairs and quick to do a threat pose + it never burrowed and used to get scared of prey more than 1/2 of it's body size which made it a nuissance to feed as a sling. Other keepers told me they had similar experience with "green femur" species.

Surprisingly my specimen calmed down quite a bit when I put him on display where he was far more likely to notice movement around his enclosure (it can still go into panic mode when surprised by prey item however).

Lately I got two more specimen - both Phormictopus sp. "Bayahibe" and those are a bit different. I haven't seen them throw hair yet and they are voracious eaters - willing to pounce prey their own size. Still - when disturbed they will start to bot and can be surprisingly quick for a NW.

In short - a very interesting genus that requires more attention - both in the hobby and from the scientists. Not a good choice for a beginner but great pick if you need to learn how to deal with something more... Unpredictable.
I think the "unpredictable" is the right word here. Definitely better than "evil".

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
Definitely interested. Currently have Phormictopus sp dominican purple, Phormictopus auratus, Phormictopus sp hispaniola south, Phormictopus cancerides, and Phormictopus atrichomatus. I heard recently 7 new species entered the hobby and am looking .
These guys have a bit of an attitude but are amazing visually

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I picked up a Phormictopus sp. Dominican Purple sling and a Phormictopus auratus sling about a month and a half ago. Both are eating well and have already molted once for me. The P. auratus is doing it's typical fossorial impersonation at this point. The Dominican Purple is a little high strung, it's behavior much more like an A. geniculata, everything is food.

I'm looking forward to raising these two and getting into some more Phormictopus.

BillsSpider

Arachnoknight
I picked up a Phormictopus sp. Dominican Purple sling and a Phormictopus auratus sling about a month and a half ago. Both are eating well and have already molted once for me. The P. auratus is doing it's typical fossorial impersonation at this point. The Dominican Purple is a little high strung, it's behavior much more like an A. geniculata, everything is food.

I'm looking forward to raising these two and getting into some more Phormictopus.
My P.auratus didn't really start being fossorial until it hit about 4 inchs. It's still always out and about a lot but zooms for the burrow if disturbed. The other 4 species I have in this genus all behave like you Dominican purple. Food aggressive, bolty and flighty, not afraid to throw a threat pose and slap if caught out of their hide/burrow but so frigging gorgeous threat4.jpg

GBBpro

Arachnopeon
I have a P. sp Dominican Purple, and I absolutely LOVE IT. It is defiantly one of my favorite...and so are all the other ones in my collection. Great eaters, beautiful, big, Can't get better then that!