Anyone in this group try feeding their T's raw meat like chicken breast or steak/beef cubes?

GreenGoblin

Arachnopeon
I've been told that in some places of the world beef cubes are used as a staple food for some t's I gave it a shot and my t's actually ate it without having to provoke them I've heard its a good food alternative for ts with broken fangs anyone else ever tried raw meat as a food source

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
Only to fatten up a big T I give beef, most of them will eat it. Normally i feed them crickets (sometimes zophobas)

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I thought the reason we fed live prey to tarantulas was to get a feeding response from them. How does that work with raw meat?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, I'm not sure about all species, but with an OBT you just give them a cow and they do the work. The boluses are kind of a pain to deal with, though.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Will they eat lamb? I have some leftover lamb chops from last night and I have no idea what to do with them? ;)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
No, I don't want the smell of rotting meat or nasty boluses around. I suppose you could if you don't mind the extra smell.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I only feed mine filet mignon that has been tenderized by the fingers of virgins.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've been told that in some places of the world beef cubes are used as a staple food for some t's I gave it a shot and my t's actually ate it without having to provoke them I've heard its a good food alternative for ts with broken fangs anyone else ever tried raw meat as a food source
As a staple food it doesn't sound healthy

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
All joking aside, I have read in older tarantula books (end-1980s - early 1990s) that raw meat was used mainly for large (hungry) wild-caught specimens after a long transport to give them a quick shot of energy. It was already mentioned in those books that it can be messy and smelly business. Never did I read that it was/is used as staple food.
These days, I think it's really not necessary. A nice fat hissing roach would do the trick just as well.

Last edited:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
All joking aside, I have read in older tarantula books (end-1980s - early 1990s) that raw meat was used mainly for large (hungry) wild-caught specimens after a long transport to give them a quick shot of energy. It was already mentioned in those books that it can be messy and smelly business. Never did I read that it was/is used as staple food.
These days, I think it's really not necessary. A nice fat hissing roach would do the trick just as well.
There was a thread awhile back about a 1977 tarantula care guide that suggested balling up ground beef and tying it to a string to entice a feeding response. A lot of old care guides would list raw meat as an option for food.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
There was a thread awhile back about a 1977 tarantula care guide that suggested balling up ground beef and tying it to a string to entice a feeding response. A lot of old care guides would list raw meat as an option for food.
Those 70's care guides are awesome for all the wrong reasons (just like internet care sheets):eek::eek:

And people complain about the tarantula keepers guide!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I have that book. And a couple others from that era.