Anyone have experience with the Guyana Pink Toe (Avicularia avicularia)?

LD67

Arachnopeon
I'm looking into getting one and I'm just curious to see what anyone's experiences may have been, and what recommendations they may have.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Versacolor is my favorite avic but i have kept guyanas in the past.
I kept them the same as any avic.
Arboreal enclosure w/ front opening NOT top.
Mostly dry sub w/ an always full water dish.
Feed a few times a week, well ventilated.
The usual.
^^^something like that^^^

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have 6 A.avic sling ATM and the are kept pretty much just like any other Avic. Mine are kept in these type containers and they are growing great. I had 3 of them molt a day ago.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As has already been said, tank taller than wide, good ventilation, front opening door, not too wet (but not too dry either).

I liked my A. versicolor better, just because he had prettier colors - but I do love the little pink toes on my A. avic. Of course, she's a bit of a pain in the butt sometimes. After I rehoused her to a "big girl" cage last summer, she sulked for months and refused to make the least bit of webbing. Finally, last month, she decided to make a web - but she completely ignored the grapevine, cork, and other anchor points I provided at the back of the cage, where I wanted her to make the web, and instead anchored off the inside of the door and one side of the tank. The door is now completely webbed shut! Fortunately, the top lifts off, too - and she hasn't quite got that webbed shut, though she does have some of the webbing connecting up there, too. I can still get it open far enough to drop in crickets without damaging too much of her web.

On the plus side, I have a front-row view of the inside of her web tunnel - but Little Miss is not going to be pleased with me when I finally have to open the cage for something and undo all her hard work... I'm trying to hold off on that as long as possible, though - just in case the sudden burst of enthusiasm is indicative of an impending molt.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I love those cubes. I just wish they weren't so ridiculously expensive. Hobby Lobby carries them but they must've gotten wind of pet owners using them because they're like 8 bucks each now.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I love those cubes. I just wish they weren't so ridiculously expensive. Hobby Lobby carries them but they must've gotten wind of pet owners using them because they're like 8 bucks each now.
I save up till I can buy a lot at once then get them online. Somewhere like here that has free shipping for anything over 49 bucks.
https://www.wayfair.com/AMAC-M-Series-4-Piece-Food-Storage-Container-Set-CN100-AFAC1009.html

There are a lot of good places online to get them.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I had a Avic Avic once.
My girlfriend thought she was rescuing it by buying it. :banghead: it died two days later.
They are fairly easy to keep as long as they aren't dead when you buy them.:wacky:

LD67

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys. The tank is what i'm trying to find. A tall tank that opens from the front but has an edge at the bottom to hold in the substrate is a pain to find. I'm thinking of maybe starting with like a 5 gallon glass tank with plenty of things to climb inside. Probably peat moss on the bottom and a tank heater underneath to keep it warm and reasonably humid.

LD67

Arachnopeon

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ya know, i did a search for pink toe and for avicularia and i got nothin! Thanks for showing me this!
No problem :)
The search function on the boards does not always work. For future searches, i recommend to use google, enter the species you want info on, and add 'arachnoboards' to it. Google knows better how to search this forum than the forum itself. :D

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have an adult female, who I purchased already full grown, and I adore her. Even though each individual is different, my girl has always been very calm. All of my Avics have been calm so far. If I could find more of them for sale as juveniles/adults, I would have more of them.
This is my big girl.

DSC06816-2-2.jpg

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have an adult female, who I purchased already full grown, and I adore her. Even though each individual is different, my girl has always been very calm. All of my Avics have been calm so far. If I could find more of them for sale as juveniles/adults, I would have more of them.
This is my big girl.

View attachment 226995
very nice! :)
its too bad they lose their color as they grow, juvis tend to be much more blue than adults.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks guys. The tank is what i'm trying to find. A tall tank that opens from the front but has an edge at the bottom to hold in the substrate is a pain to find. I'm thinking of maybe starting with ike a 5 gallon glass tank with plenty of things to climb inside. Probably peat moss on the bottom and a tank heater underneath to keep it warm and reasonably humid.
I like the Exo Terra front-opening tanks. https://www.petsolutions.com/C/Rept...8&cadevice=c&gclid=CPCIp-rT9NACFVKGfgoduhkAnA

I have several of the Nano Tall (8"x8"x12") for smaller spiders and the bigger ones for for the bigger guys. They are a bit pricey, though. :-(

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
We are very limited in Toronto, despite the size of this city, to really good arboreal enclosures. Our only option is the exo-terra ones and I don't feel comfortable with the screen top. I do have one, that another tarantula I bought online came with and was not appropriate for, and my Thrixopelma ockerti will go into it when big enough.
I got some quotes from acrylic places recently and another member ran with it and got one place to lower their prices. We have recently placed an order for a dozen enclosures for both of us combined. The price was really excellent. I used a modified version of the Jamie's enclosures for the quote.
The thing that I have found with this genus is that they make their webs very close to the top. My two larger avics are currently in top opening enclosures and I really hate them. It is awkward to do anything - feeding maintenance etc. - and I cannot wait until they are in front opening enclosures. Although, my chances of getting photos like the one above will be eliminated. The top of the new enclosures are clear, so I might still be able to get some. Cleaning, feeding and watering is going to be much easier, though.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thanks guys. The tank is what i'm trying to find. A tall tank that opens from the front but has an edge at the bottom to hold in the substrate is a pain to find. I'm thinking of maybe starting with like a 5 gallon glass tank with plenty of things to climb inside. Probably peat moss on the bottom and a tank heater underneath to keep it warm and reasonably humid.
No heater and dry substrate with holes drills above sub and about two inches from the top. Do NOT screw around with the humidity or you'll kill your Avic. Read viper's information.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
No problem :)
The search function on the boards does not always work. For future searches, i recommend to use google, enter the species you want info on, and add 'arachnoboards' to it. Google knows better how to search this forum than the forum itself. :D
Better than that, add "site:arachnoboards.com" without the quotations. It will display results only from this site.

LD67

Arachnopeon
No heater and dry substrate with holes drills above sub and about two inches from the top. Do NOT screw around with the humidity or you'll kill your Avic. Read viper's information.
My house can get cool in spots during winter, so i sometimes place a repti-heat mat on one side of the tank. And the humidity, like i said, will be reasonable. I'm not talkiing about turning it into the Amazon!

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Space heaters are better than heating pads. Heating pads will draw the T over and will overheat and dry them out.
I live in the high desert SW, and it gets cool in here. My T kids handle it good. For humidity I overflow the water dish each week.
Check out EulersK's vids on YouTube.