Anyone have experience with the Guyana Pink Toe (Avicularia avicularia)?

LD67

Arachnopeon
I use peat moss for substrate. Once some water gets spilled, the heat pad vaporizes some of it. It gets pretty dry in here during the winter. This way i keep a good balance.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My house can get cool in spots during winter, so i sometimes place a repti-heat mat on one side of the tank. And the humidity, like i said, will be reasonable. I'm not talkiing about turning it into the Amazon!
A. avics are the easiest to keep of the Avics, along with A. metallica, well at least for most people. Some people have started w/ A. versicolor. The care across most of the genus doesn't vary really. I wouldn't recommend a heat-mat at all on the Ts tank. One doesn't need to turn the container into the Amazon to end up with a dead Avic. They are easier to kill than probably all of the commonly kept NW Ts.

I have seen people use heat mats on one wall of a container/closet and put Ts in a warmer space. But the Ts container did not touch the heat mats, basically one container inside another more/less.

I use peat moss for substrate. Once some water gets spilled, the heat pad vaporizes some of it. It gets pretty dry in here during the winter. This way i keep a good balance.
I have lived in places with far more humidity than Jersey Shore (assuming that's where you live), and places that are far my dry too with some of the same Avics living in both geographic regions. The Avics did fine in both, primarily because the high humidity dwelling had AC, thus inside ambient air was much more dry than the outside 100% humidity.

Regardless, if you concern yourself with humidity as your words indicate, you may end up with a dead Avic as so many people do here. Your best bet is to drop in some substrate, a water dish and a decent amount of ventilation (subjective term I know).

Last edited: