Anyone Have Experience with Southern Devil Scorpions (Vaejovis carolinianus)? Two mothers just gave birth in my care!

Tellorcha

Arachnosquire
Hey guys,

I have 5 Vaejovis carolinianus scorpions, all kept communally in a 2.5 gallon tank. They are so entertaining to watch and very bold. Always sitting out on their logs and rocks out in the open rather than hiding. I had one female give birth to scorplings that were riding on her back about 2 months ago. I figured I could just leave it be and they'd all grow up just fine. I offer the adults small crickets, but there are dwarf white isos and springtails in the tank, so I figured the babies could feed on those. Unfortunately, the babies disappeared very quickly after leaving mom's back. I can only assume they were all eaten by the other adults.

Fast forward to this week and I have 2 more mothers with babies on their backs!! This time, I scooped each mother out and put her in a separate enclosure as I really want to raise a brood to adulthood! There is nothing I can find online about breeding these guys though... so I'm kinda winging it. Just this morning, I found the first mother dead (no idea why as she was healthy yesterday, but I suspect my quick makeshift container for her didn't have enough ventilation and got too humid), but all the babies had just finished their second molt and were crawling off her alive and well. I spent all day making each baby a tiny individual container (with enough ventilation I hope), and filled each container with a few dwarf whites and a springtail seeding. They are so so small I honestly have no idea what else to offer them as food. I have fruit flies, but they're even pretty big for these little guys.

Anyone have any success rearing this tiny species or know of any resources to read up on them? I am planning to take notes through this whole process and post on what happens, especially if I succeed!! But in the mean time, any input from other keepers would be excellent. Thanks for reading!

Ncshooter

Arachnosquire
Humidity shouldn't have killed her - it gets super hot and humid here in the carolinas. In terms of feeding, slings will scavenge. You can crush the head of a small cricket, they will chomp it down. Grats on the new kiddies!

Tellorcha

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the reply, very relieved to hear they will scavenge. I've stressed them out enough for today, but I'll offer some dead crickets in the morning.

Hmm, I don't have any idea why she died then. She seemed totally healthy yesterday, so it was really quite a surprise. This is my first and only scorpion species, so I was reading around other threads after posting this one. I saw someone mention scorpions should never have under belly heat, and I realized the temporary containers were on a shelf right above my hisser tank with a CHE inches below. The shelf was definitely warm when I felt it, so I'm wondering if that could have been the problem? I keep my main tank humid and at room temp (around 75-80) and they seem totally comfortable, breeding and all. I moved the 2nd female's temporary tank and all the babies onto a cooler shelf; however, female number 2 seems in tip top shape despite the few days of extra warmth.

Ncshooter

Arachnosquire
If there was heat below her, then she might have gotten a tad cooked if the burrowed. However, that species tends to just hang out under pine bark pieces and debris rather than going fossorial. No clue man... maybe the birth was just too much for her. It sucks either way, but at least you got the kiddies. Right now my H. petersii slings are in individual containers as well, and they eat like pigs. Doing 1 1/2" cricket per sling every 2 days -- they are machines!

Tellorcha

Arachnosquire
Yeah, who knows I suppose. I'm definitely happy to have the little ones, going to offer them some cricket chunks soon. Congratulations on your slings!! There is something so satisfying about rearing an animal from baby to adulthood. I hope your little ones all stay hungry and healthy. :D