Anyone have a friendly OBT?

LD67

Arachnopeon
I'd love to get one in the future. Thing is, I've seen videos of people handling them like any other T and they were quite docile. That will ruin everything. I want a really grouchy OBT! What, if anything, mostly affects their temperament?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They aren't the eight legged monsters always depicted. While indeed they possess a quite strong and painful venom, while indeed they are defensive Theraphosidae, check at 360° the whole 'OBT' thing.

A lot of owners house those like (different parameters aside, obviously) the average NW terrestrial T's. I disagree. P.murinus are masters at adapt, I honestly don't think exists another Theraphosidae so hardy, easy to care, and not "choosy" at all. But this doesn't mean that the owner shouldn't offer to a juve/adult lots of inches of substrate and a piece of cork bark. Their first preferred option is and remain always to burrow, or to find a safe haven under that piece of cork bark, burrowing (less, in this case) and webbing nearby.

If you don't, if the substrate inches are inadequate, no problem for them, but chances that "you" will end with a web-only enclosure are high. It's normal, then, to end often with a pissed off 'OBT', for that you have to clean, and refill, the water dish. Dry or not dry, you will have to remove the prey remains, and so on: it's not the best to "move" that much that web-home... they wouldn't love that.

Aside for single specimen temperament that always differ, that's why I have a (somewhat) benign 'OBT' (adult female, btw) which I can easy work removing completely the top, since she remain under... and others receive those kind of welcome party:

I will never cease to say this: "Never be a Scrooge with substrate" :-s

Last edited by a moderator:

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Honestly I've never seen much aggressiveness at all with my 3.5" OBT, especially when compared to C. lividum :anxious:;). Instead mine has always been more of a flight VS fight kinda guy which could be resulted because of a proper sized cage with plenty of hides and deep substrate. With that said i'm actually giving him/her a cage upgrade tonight so we'll see how that goes. :)

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Temperament is so variable. Just like people, everyone has a different personality. OBTs have a bit of a reputation, but it's always possible to find a lazy sloth OBT..... just the same as finding an A. avicularia that acts like a pokie. Never know! Fortunately, OBTs are so cheap that you can get a couple, and it's likely that at least one will be the demon you're after:vamp:

Bugmom

Arachnolord
"Friendly" and "docile" aren't really words you can use with arachnids. Spiders don't make friends. They don't become docile - they either tolerate your intrusion into their world, or they don't. It's really that simple. They're incapable of the cognitive thinking required to react to anything other than stimulus. Some react like your typical OBT by wanting to tear off your limbs, but some just aren't as reactive to stimulus. Since they're all individuals, you never know what you're going to get.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I am going to say that "aggressive" OBT's are due to husbandry. I've handled them before and seen mellow ones but, like everyone else says some spiders are just weird like that. I don't handle them anymore because I am no longer a kid looking for a kick of adrenaline.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Mine is shy

I've never gotten a threat posture from her

But I've also made careful action not to do anything to incite that from her

She immediately retreats to her hide when she knows I'm touching the cage.

She would rather tuck away safely than try to scare me off.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Just bought my 1st, and only ever, P. murinus Saturday. I've been handling non stop, no defensiveness and yet to bite.
Oh!! I should state that its encased in resin.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Guaranteed grouchy OBT = KBT
My queen is actually quite tolerant, rehousing her is a pain because she just doesnt respond to prodding or anything. she will just sit there like a rock for a few minutes of trying to get her to move then she explodes lol. nothing like my Obts which a couple of my slings throw threat postures at my shadow it seems like :D

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
mine runs and hides under webbing when I open the enclosure. Very skittish, but has shown no aggression.

Caseypm

Arachnopeon
I have 2. One is very shy, and the other is almost always out and ready to eat. They each have their own little personalities.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No defensiveness from mine but I've yet to annoy her. I only go into her enclosure when she's in her hide with the entrance webbed up.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
just rehoused my 4" female, disappointed, not even a mad dash for freedom.. walked slowly, no threat posture, etc. etc. i had o pinch myself to make sure i wasnt dreaming, it was as easy as a B albo. she molted a month ago btw, so she was hardened up and eating. so yeah, i apparently have a really tolerant OBT... thats no excuse to get cocky though. ;)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
"I am going to say that "aggressive" OBT's are due to husbandry."

This statement is false. They defensive because of predation, competition, and other factors of their native habitat. It's reinforced/rewarded behavior from many thousands of years of evolution. Africa has many ruthless predators that eat tarantulas: mongeese, honey badgers, baboons, etc. The strategies that are successful most often for OW tarantulas are: 1) running at top speed in an unpredictable direction, 2) remaining motionless and exploding in a fast run if touched, & 3) instantly becoming defensive and employing their relatively strong venom if the warning doesn't work. Without urticating hairs, they can't throw projectiles from a safe distance like most NW terrestrials can. There is variation within any tarantula species, with most doing what works the majority of the time, and a small number trying something different. This is the key to evolution for all living things, that allows them to adapt to changes in their habitat.

Having gotten my first tarantula over 40 years ago, I've owned and worked with many hundreds of tarantulas, both w/c and captive bred, and have seen no pattern in defensiveness being higher in one group than the other, in any species. Instinct drives their responses.

TimTarantula

Arachnopeon
I think they are like unicorns everyone wants to believe but knows that they don't exist! Lol :)

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
I have several OBT's in my collection and I can say that I do have a 4" female that is super calm. I've never once received a threat posture or wild dashes of any sort. They are OBT's though so even with her I never get complacent when working around her with an open enclosure.

LD67

Arachnopeon
Maybe feeding it crickets dipped in hot sauce will make it an angry obt.