Anyone good at ventrical sexing?

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I rescued this 5" G. aureostriata from a local petshop today for a great price. The shop guy swore up and down that it was a male, sexed by the molt. When I asked to see the molt, of course he couldnt find it. There are no bulbs or hooks. So, Im left to sex this thing ventrically. And normally thats no problem, but this thing only looks female from the right angle.. anyone care to take a crack at it?

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wanna say male......but the water drops are throwing me off.
can you take another pic??

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I vote male....100% Nice find!
He should have his hooks next go round.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not the best at ventral sexing, and I don't find it 100% accurate, so I just be patient and wait for my T to molt for a shedding. Anyways, I was reading through this thread, and was curious about how much you got it for?

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
but this thing only looks female from the right angle..
Most of them can look female from the 'right' angle, or male from another angle. That's why ventral sexing, even more so from a picture, can be so unreliable. If you know what your looking for you can take a shot that highlights what you want to make obvious. On the other hand I can take a picture of many T's from a particular angle with particular light and make it look like whatever I want it to be.

These two pics are a good example...

If I didn't already know, I'd likely guess the first one is a male of some Poec sp. The second would be a fairly obvious female P. regalis, but...

Actually they're the same spider, different angle, different light...

This one however would be really difficult to mistake for anything but male from any angle...

All of that being said, you're aureostriata looks somewhat male to me also, in those pictures anyway.

BTW thats 'ventral' sexing, meaning from the bottom, opposite of 'dorsal'. A ventricle refers to something that contains liquid, as in left/right ventricle of the heart.

Bill

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks thus far... just to answer the one question, $25 is what I paid...