Anyone ever tried housing aphonopelma seemanis together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
tank size look good to me, if you have not seen them go ape s*it (like some other species that will not tolerate one another is stirmi and they get pretty upset immediately and if they are not chasing /harassing one another
and yet then i think it would be interesting, same size too
you just need two big hides or many more hiding spots, one each far corner, half cork bark each end for example

its funny you guys that are flaming
when certain species can co exist, i dont even like the word communal, there are many examples. some may have not seen ts in the wild, there are sympatric species all over the world.

a friend traveled to type location for devamatha burrows of juvies and adults were very close to another

i will just stop commenting, good luck and please keep us posted

forgot to mention, that same friend who travels to see ts in the wild, went to vietnam, sent me a video of big ass burrow horizontal style, when he ticked the burrow, two very large H. schmidti came darting out. perhaps they stayed together since slings who knows but as you can see with 100s of species out there we do not know much and wont know if someone decides to experiment with any precautions in mind. not just pokies, balfouri, chicken spiders, some Orphnaecus can be 'communal'
Chicken spiders ?

GreenGoblin

Arachnopeon
Put a couple Dubias in the enclosure before falling asleep and woke up in the middle of the night to find them both out and eating they seem to be very tolerate of each other when one was finsished it went near the other that was still feeding and again no threats posture or anything of that nature. These are the sites that gave me the idea they stated that they are usually found in large aggregations and another site stated that this species lives in large communities in the wild.
http://www.petworlds.net/aphonopelma-seemanni/
https://www.thesprucepets.com/costa-rican-zebra-tarantulas-as-pets-1237349

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
tank size look good to me, if you have not seen them go ape s*it (like some other species that will not tolerate one another is stirmi and they get pretty upset immediately and if they are not chasing /harassing one another
and yet then i think it would be interesting, same size too
you just need two big hides or many more hiding spots, one each far corner, half cork bark each end for example

its funny you guys that are flaming
when certain species can co exist, i dont even like the word communal, there are many examples. some may have not seen ts in the wild, there are sympatric species all over the world.

a friend traveled to type location for devamatha burrows of juvies and adults were very close to another

i will just stop commenting, good luck and please keep us posted

forgot to mention, that same friend who travels to see ts in the wild, went to vietnam, sent me a video of big ass burrow horizontal style, when he ticked the burrow, two very large H. schmidti came darting out. perhaps they stayed together since slings who knows but as you can see with 100s of species out there we do not know much and wont know if someone decides to experiment with any precautions in mind. not just pokies, balfouri, chicken spiders, some Orphnaecus can be 'communal'
Well yeah, but complex biological conditions and climate details can't be accounted for in a ventilated acrylic box. You want to know why those Ts were quote unquote "living together"? It is a temporary 'association' between individuals brought on by times of environmental hardship. So then, they will "share" resources until things return to equilibrium and well, . . . when that happens . . . one of them will probably turn on the other. And even if that doesn't happen, the wild is the wild and just seeing two, three or five spiders "living close" to each other does not a communal species make.

Chicken spiders ?
Pamphobeteus sp. Araña Pollito I think. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I’ve actually seen native aphonopelma living in colonies. You have an area that is saturated with borrows, I mean every few feet there is a borrow. I’ve also seen adults and baby tarantulas sharing the same borrow. The babies were clearly too large to be newborns, but still very small, I would guess around a year or so old. Does this make them communal? Probably not. Aphonopelma’s dig a borrow a basically never leave it unless one is a mature male. If you give them a large enough enclosure for each of them to dig there own borrow and live separately you may do okay. That wouldn’t be communal, just two tarantulas sharing a really large tank.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'll keep everyone posted.
No you won't. I'm going to take another educated guess that when one kills the other, in a few days, we're never going to hear from you again. That's what usually happens to people who refuse to take other people's advice and their tarantulas die over it.

GreenGoblin

Arachnopeon
No you won't. I'm going to take another educated guess that when one kills the other, in a few days, we're never going to hear from you again. That's what usually happens to people who refuse to take other people's advice and their tarantulas die over it.
Believe me if one kills the other I will be sure to let everyone know I feel I have nothing to be ashamed of but until that happens which I don't think is going to happen I'll keep posting how it's going. How can you guys be so sure that it won't work if no one has ever tried it ? That's all I'm wanting to know.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was wandering if anyone ever tried but can't seem to find anything on the subject.
Let us know how that turns out when you have one fat T. :rolleyes: They aren't social animals.

How can you guys be so sure that it won't work if no one has ever tried it ?
Because arachnologists, these are people with a PhD- that means they are scientists specializing in tarantulas in the WILD, have never reported a species living communally. Remember they know more anyone here, including you.

But, continue playing god over there, and when one kills another, only the T will suffer, not you. Must be nice to trivialize an animal's life simply because you can.

Must be nice to see this animal's life as an object, and not for what it is.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
like AZjohn said, aphono utilizes burrows and you can do this in captivity too, i have collected and observed anax and moderatum (sympatric species) ,,,extensive burrow, no wonder south TX is hot hot

where Brachy dont really burrow, prefer a hide

i said i wont comment but whatever

i still want to suggest hide or burrow or both, 6in burrow at least it could be longer if you have enough room, make pre made burrow then put a hide or cork bark something over it, again one on each side,

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Put a couple Dubias in the enclosure before falling asleep and woke up in the middle of the night to find them both out and eating they seem to be very tolerate of each other when one was finsished it went near the other that was still feeding and again no threats posture or anything of that nature. These are the sites that gave me the idea they stated that they are usually found in large aggregations and another site stated that this species lives in large communities in the wild.
http://www.petworlds.net/aphonopelma-seemanni/
https://www.thesprucepets.com/costa-rican-zebra-tarantulas-as-pets-1237349

Just because it's on a web site doesn't make it true. There's no citation to the "aggregations" line the first link read with.

Stupid is not against policy.
That's a cop out in my opinion.

Mods have no freedom to shut down a thread in such cases, ie those not violating TOS? Simply because something is allowed doesn't mean it should be allowed in such blatantly obvious cases such as this.

GreenGoblin

Arachnopeon
Let us know how that turns out when you have one fat T. :rolleyes: They aren't social animals.
I know they aren't social but that doesn't mean they
like AZjohn said, aphono utilizes burrows and you can do this in captivity too, i have collected and observed anax and moderatum (sympatric species) ,,,extensive burrow, no wonder south TX is hot hot

where Brachy dont really burrow, prefer a hide

i said i wont comment but whatever

i still want to suggest hide or burrow or both, 6in burrow at least it could be longer if you have enough room, make pre made burrow then put a hide or cork bark something over it, again one on each side,
You probably can't see them but there are 3 burrows in the picture I posted of the enclosure 1 on each end and one in the middle

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
This will probably turn out the way everyone here is thinking,and I agree with @viper69 ,you are taking
a liberty with an animals life,for no good reason.Even when any animal in nature lives in proximity to another,
it has distance to separate itself from an aggressor.
You have essentially created an arena.A fight to the death,between two animals.You have placed them in a man made box,
and may the best T win.People who have kept T,s as long as you have been around,assuming you indicated your
correct age,have not tried this stunt,because it doesn't work out.

Dannica

Arachnosquire
I haven’t seen anyone ask, but why? What is the point of this besides carelessness and needless risk? There are literally zero benefits to doing what you’re doing, so why do it?

GreenGoblin

Arachnopeon
They have crossed paths multiple times and nothing has happened if you feel like I'm doing something so wrong why waste your time following this thread I've housed them together now. it's crazy how everyone predicts what will happen but have never tried to house this species together you all will feel how you feel. people cull slings bc they have to many instead of giving them away but to say I'm careless is crazy I've been monitoring them constantly since they have been in there and they seem fine to me they are eating and even exploring the enclosure running around each other and feeding without problems so if you don't like it well so be it but currently they are doing awesome but I have no hard feelings about anyone's "opinions" and it's far from a death ring I feel of that was the case they would have attacked each other by now

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
My guess, is that OP is bored of just one tarantula so he decided to do a "pairing" just to switch it up for some fun. He doesn't understand tarantula behaviour at all and there's nothing we can do to save whatever spider (probably the male) gets finally chomped on in the next few days. :( So needless and trivial and sad. RIP one of your A. seemanni.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I haven’t seen anyone ask, but why? What is the point of this besides carelessness and needless risk? There are literally zero benefits to doing what you’re doing, so why do it?
It's this "World's First" wannabe syndrome that has flourished in the reptile hobby and a lot of people feel that the arachnid keeping hobby is some uptapped resource that can make them rich and/or famous. They apparently have all these ideas that they feel that nobody else, in the half century of these animals being kept in captivity, has ever thought of.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They have crossed paths multiple times and nothing has happened
The short period of time is nothing compared to a complete cycle. People cross paths, next thing you know your neighbor kills your other neighbor.

but to say I'm careless
You are.

I've been monitoring them constantly since they have been in there
You are...24 hrs/7 days a week. Do you have video for this?

but currently they are doing awesome
A short period of time. People have tried this, and they end up with one big fat T.

I feel of that was the case they would have attacked each other by now
Again a short period of time is meaningless. A lack of understanding of basic biology is evident here. I suggest you read up on these animals more than you have done. Contact some experts.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
man
this hobby especially USA hobby, sucks and boring, overpriced ts that nobody buys and sellers jack that <edit> up just to sit on them forever, and everyone buys cheap boring stuff,
before anybody tried pokie communal people were acting just like it here, just bashing without having any thoughts or experimental minded
i used to disagree with Jacobi's blog bashing usa t hobby, but not i totally agree with him.

balfouri has known to kill in communal set up. Chicken spider from slings to maturity in tight tank they have never ate or hurt another (my friend's spiders and his observation)

there are probably other pampho that will actually do the same. who knows

like i said there are tons of species of ts and more to be found.

i have bred and kept all the slings hatched of C fimbriatus, at one point i missed their food for two weeks, they were all skinny , no fat slings here and there meaning they dont eat each other even hungry. maybe they will be different when adults?

it gets to a point after keeping, breeding and observing all you can, why not experiment granted with precaution ,,putting them together in an empty container and see how they react when they run into each other, if aggression then the particular species should not be kept together as the outcome will be what all you guys wish to happen to the seemani. if they avoid each other without aggression then why not?

what about keeping a mm into female's tank overnight, depending on species it gets eaten or live with the female....leaving it in the female tank must be very immoral and reckless too then?

i think i will start my own thread of keeping two adult ts together

Status
Not open for further replies.