Anyone ever see their Avic clean its feet?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I noticed one of the A. bicegoi cleaning feet right up against the glass. I pulled out the magnifying glass and got an "underneath" view of the whole process. Fascinating how the fangs and combs on the side of the mouth are used along with a good bit of spider spit.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I love watching them groom. They are kinda like cats, spit wipe repeat. It's great fun to watch though that's for sure!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, i like watching mine also,even after they are feeding it's very interesting,being they are such clean animals.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is so true. Very interesting to watch. I first noticed it on my GBB, and thought something was wrong cause it was just sitting there holding one leg to it's mouth. Then a few minutes later it resumed cleaning and I figured out what it was doing...lol.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yup many times, and not just my A.avics.. almost all of my tarantulas. I get mesmorized watching Ts groom. It's so fascinating.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One of my favorite things to watch. My rose is the only one out of my T's that will lay on her side and clean 4 legs at once. Usually they do one at a time standing. She's a silly girl.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i thought my A.Avic was dying a long time ago when i first got into the hobby because of this funny grooming method. looked like a leg curl. i came to find out that they were just cleaning themselves.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
funny, i have three relatively small a. bicegoi slings and they seem to do it ore often than all my other avics. looks funny {D

and hey, cats are cool as well... well, ours are;)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was watching my rosea clean her legs and abdomen a little while back. She would get some silk on one foot then rub it on her other leg to gather up dirt or whatever. Then she'd use her mouth to remove the silk from the foot, mix it all with a little more dirt and discard it in the corner with her bolus'. Then repeat for the next leg, next leg, etc...

Quite a little system she's got.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, it is amazing to watch. It is really interesting to see how they twist themselves to get to some of the back legs as well. I've seen a lot of my T's grooming, not just avics. Probably the most interesting was my T. blondi. He is big enough that I could really see what he was doing.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love watching them groom. They are kinda like cats, spit wipe repeat. It's great fun to watch though that's for sure!

You took the words right out of my mouth. i guess it's a good thing i took the time to read the thread before replying or i would have wrote nearly the exact feedback. LOL

i was just watching my big B. vagans groom herself last night for the longest time. i think it is way cool.

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
I was told by a friend that it's not just cleaning but they also do that because it helps the identify objects in their environment. Supposedly climbers do this a lot.
Not sure if i believe it, but I have no idea how they perceive their environment.