Anyone ever ordered from black jungle?

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anyone ever ordered live or dry good from www.blackjungle.com? Thinking of getting some plants but I would never dream of sending a dart by mail.

Any tips on keeping poison darts? Been reading for a few weeks but I still wish I knew more lots experience with Ts but this is new.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
Anyone ever ordered live or dry good from www.blackjungle.com? Thinking of getting some plants but I would never dream of sending a dart by mail.

Any tips on keeping poison darts? Been reading for a few weeks but I still wish I knew more lots experience with Ts but this is new.
I bought stuff from them at the frog day show in San Jose this year, they seemed like they really know their stuff, I am going to order a few plants and other supplies from them online so I can make a naturalistic enclosure for my red eyed tree frogs. I had dart frogs and mantellas before, you might want to start out with some "easier" frogs first. white's tree frogs and waxy monkey tree frogs are probably the hardiest frogs, red eyed tree frogs are slightly less hardy. young dart frogs will need very small prey, such as pinhead crickets or fruit flies. most dart frogs are not cheap either.
Ed

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, I ordered some terra lite ffrom them once. I ordered 20 gallon size, but they sent me 2 of those. I was billed the extra bag, and it wasnt in my email confirmation, but i didnt bother going through all the returns.

But they definitely are a great shop for sry terrarium goods. Not so sure about other stuff though.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually my old friend from the zoo is moving and is giving me a Dendrobates auratus. He was the old reptile house keeper and said that it was an "easy" dart to keep if given the right conditions.
Its an adult by the way.
I just thought it was wierd that they send these guys by mail being that they are very fragile and all. I needed to know about the plants I was thinking of buying a few since they recommend using plants made for terreria and not for "household" use

After reading all this stuff I cant help but think im going to do something wrong I guess ill tell him I cant take it. Wont help if the poor thing suffers

Last edited:

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
Actually my old friend from the zoo is moving and is giving me a Dendrobates auratus. He was the old reptile house keeper and said that it was an "easy" dart to keep if given the right conditions.
Its an adult by the way.
I just thought it was wierd that they send these guys by mail being that they are very fragile and all. I needed to know about the plants I was thinking of buying a few since they recommend using plants made for terreria and not for "household" use

After reading all this stuff I cant help but think im going to do something wrong I guess ill tell him I cant take it. Wont help if the poor thing suffers
do they show some terrariums on the black jungle site? I think there were some dart frogs in a natural looking terrarium somewhere on their site. if all else fails you could ask them what they recommend for plants. good idea on not buying plants from your local nursery as who knows what kind of pesticides, fertilizers, etc. the plants have on or in them.
Ed

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I *was* going to get a plant set they recommended me but people are saying that those auratus dart frogs are incredibly hard to keep so I just wont do it. Gona recommend him to the bird keeper at the australian animal exibit.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
auratus, hard to keep! Those have to be the easiest of all dendrobates to keep. People breed them regularly. You can't go wrong, provided that you can give them a steady supply of small food items like pin head crix and a right temperature gradient. Personally I think that most dendrobates are not hard to keep. Auratus were the first frogs I ever kept.
Blackjugle is pretty good for plants and such. You can also try tropiflora. They have a large selection of plants too.
Mike

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well considering I am on contract with fluker farms on pinheads and I have a few fruit fly colonys around Food is easy. I just keep getting bombarded with bad info on these guys and people saying that if I should get a frog not to take his but a whites tree frog or something.