anyone ever got a sac from their g. pulchra?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi all,

has anyone here ever mated g. pulchra and got a sac? i'm asking cause i've got a g. pulchra male in a swap and i paired him up with my girl. my breeder told me that they pair up easily but the females never build a sac. in germany, it's been several years (to his and my) knowledge that someone got a pulchra to actually make a sac and produce slings.

so if anyone succeeded, please let me know all the parameters...

the mating, imo, went very well:

the female molted less than three month ago and is well fed, but not fat.
she is about 6 cm body size. the male's leg span is a bit more than hers, his carapax a bit smaller than hers though.

he was really eager to mate - just drummed a few times, went over while she was still making up her mind, lifted her and got a couple of really good insertions. all in all the mating only took about 5 minutes.

afterwards, she tried to eat him :eek:. i held the tank open for him to escape with one hand and used the other to keep her from biting him (with tongs, of course ;)). well, he escaped unharmed (hid behind the biggest and most heavy tank - we had to move it to retrieve him :wall:).

i gave her a big locust as a reward afterwards, and she munched it happily.

well, regarding her aggression i'd rather not mate them a second time. after all, he did his job very well the first time - she should absolutely be able to produce a sac. so what do i do next?

i thought about feeding her up for about a week, than getting her through a cooling period of about 3-4 weeks, than simultate a warm and wet spring.

what do you think?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
best luck on the breeding!cooling period could be helpful but like u ive never talked to anyone whos actually had sucess with this species

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
joy said:
1)In general G. pulchra are easy enough to mate. Females, assuming they are not nearing a molt, are usually receptive to repeated matings and not usually inclined to attack the male afterwards with any sincerity. The females from whom I have gotten eggsacs were each mated three times within six months or so of their molting.

2)Less than half of my mated females have gone on to make eggsacs. I was never successful in getting any eggsacs at all until I started giving them a cooling period. From approximately Thanksgiving till Valentine's Day, I kept them in an unheated closet where temperatures dipped as low as 55 degrees F. I fed them heavily during this period--mostly superworms with an occasional pinkie mouse. The cold did not seem to dull their appetites.

3)Mine were good mothers as far as I trusted them and never showed any inclination to eat their eggsacs. I didn't trust them very far, however! My practice is to pull eggsacs early--anywhere from 24 hours to a week after they are made--and incubate them intact in a hammock-type set-up, turning them manually every 4 to 6 hours. At 40 days, I open the eggsac and incubate the spiderlings (usually they are 1st instar at this point) until they molt into 2nd instars and are ready to disperse.l[/url]
I just got this off the site. Just clarifying, is the cooling period after mating?

I have two ventrally sexed females but they still need to be verified and they are still pretty small but i am still looking ahead
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=86416&highlight=pulchra

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thnx a lot guys and girls! i think i'll try to mate her agein end of the week, even though that's risking her eating the male. she was really agressive towards him.

then i'll cool her down and see what happens, i'll keep you posted!

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi all,

has anyone here ever mated g. pulchra and got a sac? i'm asking cause i've got a g. pulchra male in a swap and i paired him up with my girl. my breeder told me that they pair up easily but the females never build a sac. in germany, it's been several years (to his and my) knowledge that someone got a pulchra to actually make a sac and produce slings.

so if anyone succeeded, please let me know all the parameters...
Good luck with yours. I had a pair of G. pulchra's a couple years back and was just waiting on the male to go through hopefully one more molt but then that spring we had a bad ant problem and someone in the house heavily sprayed ant spray all over the kitchen when I wasn't home and they didn't think to close off the vents to my room (my room is on the other side of the house). Needless to say neither of them survived. I had hopes on the female flushing the toxins out but after three months she finally died. Also lost 3 juvie G. pulchras, 1 A. versicolor, 1 B. emilia and 1 smithi. Everything else was in containers with minimal air holes so didn't get poisoned. Totally bummed out I was over the loss of the pulchras. I had been looking forward to possibly having spiderlings this year.