Anyone ever been stung???

theghost910

Arachnopeon
Just out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone has ever been stung on the board at me keeping arachnids 4-over 8 years I never once been stung

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got stung by adult b.jacksoni few years ago once. and multiple times by 2nd-3rd instar Tityus magnimanus .

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Never bitten by a Theraphosidae in 25 years. As for Scorpiones, had a couple when i started, in 1992, never had an issue (they weren't 'Hots' ones, however).

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not being stung with years in the hobby reveals a responsible person. I’ve had an interest in inverts and herps since I was 2, or since I’ve had a memory. Five decades later I can’t say I haven’t been stung. I literally have been stung by the worst, never as bad as reports I've read though. But the pain, yes, VERY intense pain. Expect not to sleep that night stung by one of the hots. Sometimes when looking back I think, “I asked for it.” Sometimes I wonder if being stung had to do with a subconscious curiosity, a little reckless, but I of course have never wanted to get stung.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
Usually when stings happen it's our fault. Take mine for example; I was trying to get the right mix of clay and sand so that my scorpion could build tunnels. One day the tunnel collapsed and burried the scorpion. This was an easily avoided mistake but I tried to unbury it with my hand. Got a nice sting on my middle finger from it. Luckily it was just a Hoffmanius spinigerus that got me haha.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Nope, only began keeping scorpions June 2015, tarantulas since July 1991 no bites. Yet.
As @Desert scorps stated, stings/bites are the keepers fault. Complacency has no place in the hobby, especially species with medically significant venom. I understand accidents will occur, but in hindsight could have been avoided.
With the host of tools at our disposal, bitess/stings "should" be vary rare.
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

theghost910

Arachnopeon
Not being stung with years in the hobby reveals a responsible person. I’ve had an interest in inverts and herps since I was 2, or since I’ve had a memory. Five decades later I can’t say I haven’t been stung. I literally have been stung by the worst, never as bad as reports I've read though. But the pain, yes, VERY intense pain. Expect not to sleep that night stung by one of the hots. Sometimes when looking back I think, “I asked for it.” Sometimes I wonder if being stung had to do with a subconscious curiosity, a little reckless, but I of course have never wanted to get stung.
Sounds horrible

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Got stung by a rainforests scorpion. Not too bad. Bull ants were worse because they stung repeatedly and they were in a "gang" on my 8 year old leg. I'd say that the worst sting I got from memory was a spider wasp I accidently put my hand on.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've never been stung. I am extra careful. I don't consider it a badge of courage or rite of passage.

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
I've never been bitten or stung by anything I'm keeping, but I've been stung by a wild scorpion. It managed to get inside and was hiding in some clothes on the floor. It was a little Centruroides and it hurt like an intense wasp sting and swelled up a bit.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
I've never been stung by anything in living memory, not even a bee. That's actually rather surprising, considering how careless I am around bees.

I'm being extra careful and hoping my scorpion won't break this trend. ;)

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I've never been stung by anything in living memory, not even a bee. That's actually rather surprising, considering how careless I am around bees.

Wow, how is that even possible? I´m not sure if I have ever been stung by a bee, but as a kid I got stung by wasps every summer when I was out playing. Once in primary school we were running orientation in the gymnastics class. I was climbing a small cliff and managed to put my hand into the home of ground dwelling wasps. In seconds my hand got covered in them and I got more stings than I could count. That was a really unpleasant experience. Our teacher freaked out as much as I did and this was before the time of cell phones. He had to get all the kids out of the forest, back to the school and rush me to the nearest doctor to get a shot of antihistamines (even though I am not allergic, I got so many stings that I got a reaction from it). After that incident we always had two teachers with us when going to the woods.

alex346

Arachnopeon
Not by the arachnids I keep... but I've been bitten by wild scorpions a few times. Where I grew up (Panama) it was kinda normal having encounters with scorpions in rural areas. Scorpions get inside houses and make their way into drawers, shoes, closets, and other dark places.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got stung once by tailing an "African red claw" scorpion, I just laughed at its puny defensive behavior. I was trying to secure it at the time and found they lack the temperament of their emperor scorpion cousins.

That said I accidentally got stung by an emperor scorpion, basically she was moving one way and my hand was moving the other way and I bumped into her telson, it must have been a reflex rather than defensive because she was just wandering about like nothing happened, no posturing or anything. And it merely tickled for a moment or so.

Both of these stings happen two decades ago.

GingerC

Arachnosquire

So, this thread is about a month old, but I felt a follow-up for my original post was necessary.

I took my first ever sting today. I was walking outside, and all of a sudden a random bee comes up and shoves her butt RIGHT above my eye, and lodged herself there for a solid five minutes, while her buddy got stuck in my hair trying to get me. I've been trying to untangle the knot in my hair for about ten minutes now and I actually found a bee leg in there. :/

I'm pretty sure these were African bees. So my first sting from anything was an African bee, right in the forehead, and it hurt like hell... imagine being stabbed in the head with a knife, except the knife is cold and gives you an ice cream headache. Fortunately, the severe pain was not long-lasting, but it's been a few hours and it's like I bashed my head into a wall. It feels bruised. In the end, though, the main thing that was hurt were my feelings. :(

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
i've been stung by just about every north american scorpion aside from a select few species that dont range west of the colorado river

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
Never stung or bitten by anything i keep or find, but have been pinched once by an african flat rock... she was behind her bowl and i didnt see her, so i grabbed the bowl and surprised her, it drew blood from the edge of my thumb. SO... PINCH YES, Bite or Sting NO.