Anyone else's P.Miranda a wimp?

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Yes the title is part of the question. I've kept several pokies over the years. However the P.Miranda sling I acquired from Ken the Bug Guy in October is quite possibly the most skittish pokie I have ever seen in my entire life. I usually feed my slings food that is half their size when they reach an inch. I've had old world slings, especially pokies, frequently take down crickets and waxworms larger than they were (I generally feed slings waxworms because they're harmless) but not my nearly 2" p.miranda. I have to feed it prey that's 3/4 smaller than it and even then it flees in terror. The only reason I know it's eating (I almost never see it) is because I find molts every so often, I see that it's building dirt curtains, and I never find waxworm or cricket corpses.

Are all P.Miranda like this, or did I just happen to buy one that thinks it's a Hari Krishna?
(not saying that Hari Krishnas are wimps. I know quite a few Krishnacore dudes and 108 is one of my favourite bands. I've seen a Krishna kid wreck a Nazi skin. They aren't wimpy. I'm referring to the pokie being a pacifist.)

basin79

ArachnoGod
I know I'm massively childish but I care not a jot.

Reading the word dirt curtains always makes me smile.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Can't really comment on P. Miranda, no experience with them, but had to read since it was about Pokies. Semi-related though, my fasciata went from being a maniac killer to repentant for feeding. Back when she was only about an inch or so she'd attack with vigor. Yesterday I fed a MM Dubia and she was gentle about taking it. Maybe your miranda will do the opposite lol

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
I had a similar experience with my pokies. When they were smaller, I always gave them prekilled. Now they are bigger, I notice they get scared by living pray. Wonder if they are spoiled? Used to an easy meal,and get scared because they're not used to fighting food?

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I had a similar experience with my pokies. When they were smaller, I always gave them prekilled. Now they are bigger, I notice they get scared by living pray. Wonder if they are spoiled? Used to an easy meal,and get scared because they're not used to fighting food?
That's something that I wonder. I had to feed pre-killed often because the only pet store that sold tiny enough Dubias and red runners is 45 minutes south of me. However I've fed other slings pre-killed and they still took live food with relish. I wonder if she's just letting her prey die off before she's eating...

basin79

ArachnoGod
Apart from my Caribena versicolor my other 4 arboreals are really skittish around me. Prey disappears though without any problems. I sometimes get to hear the commotion of them capturing their supper.

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
I know I'm massively childish but I care not a jot.

Reading the word dirt curtains always makes me smile.
I call them "Fortresses of Solitude".

My miranda MF (also from Ken the Bug guy) is pretty skittish. Stays in her hide all the time. Not exactly the most aggressive of eaters, so I feed her crickets to make sure they get her attention. Red runners might be a but much for her I think. My juvenile, unsexed smithi pretty skittish, but is generally out during the evenings and at night. But it's a much more aggressive eater. My brand new, juvenile, unsexed hanumavilasumica is also an aggressive eater, but since I haven't rehomed it since I brought it home, I don't know how skittish it is.

keks

Arachnobaron
Yes the title is part of the question. I've kept several pokies over the years. However the P.Miranda sling I acquired from Ken the Bug Guy in October is quite possibly the most skittish pokie I have ever seen in my entire life. I usually feed my slings food that is half their size when they reach an inch. I've had old world slings, especially pokies, frequently take down crickets and waxworms larger than they were (I generally feed slings waxworms because they're harmless) but not my nearly 2" p.miranda. I have to feed it prey that's 3/4 smaller than it and even then it flees in terror. The only reason I know it's eating (I almost never see it) is because I find molts every so often, I see that it's building dirt curtains, and I never find waxworm or cricket corpses.

Are all P.Miranda like this, or did I just happen to buy one that thinks it's a Hari Krishna?
(not saying that Hari Krishnas are wimps. I know quite a few Krishnacore dudes and 108 is one of my favourite bands. I've seen a Krishna kid wreck a Nazi skin. They aren't wimpy. I'm referring to the pokie being a pacifist.)
Seems to be the right Poecilotheria for me, you can send it to me :rofl:.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 5" P. miranda is a total wimp too. She never leaves her cork tube and cowers at the slightest disturbance. It's quite disappointing and why she doesn't make appearances in my feeding videos anymore. It's a real shame since she's so pretty.

keks

Arachnobaron
I own the book "Ornamentvogelspinnen Die Gattung Poecilotheria" written by H. Krehenwinkel, Thomas Maerklin, Thorsten Kroes.
They write, that P. miranda is living on trees together with crickets with a size about 2 cm, what is a small sized prey for this this large tarantula and would explain that P. miranda is often afraid of large prey (@boina Help! What is the correct translation for "Futtertiere"? :confused:).

boina

Lady of the mites
I own the book "Ornamentvogelspinnen Die Gattung Poecilotheria" written by H. Krehenwinkel, Thomas Maerklin, Thorsten Kroes.
They write, that P. miranda is living on trees together with crickets with a size about 2 cm, what is a small sized prey for this this large tarantula and would explain that P. miranda is often afraid of large prey (@boina Help! What is the correct translation for "Futtertiere"? :confused:).
Exactly the one you used :D

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
They're naturally wimpy then. Looks like it'll be a cricket/ small red runner feeder for the duration

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They're naturally wimpy then. Looks like it'll be a cricket/ small red runner feeder for the duration
This is not species specific, I bet there's another P.miranda out there somewhere that tackles prey like a linebacker. Within all species there is some variation, some individuals are bolder then others, you could just get unlucky and wind up with a skittish specimen.

It's unusual but I do have a few Ts that almost never eat in front of me, they get startled from the enclosure opening and won't eat until I'm gone. When I come back in the room later I see them eating, it's a personality trait that some have... just like with humans some spiders are more nervous then others.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
This is not species specific, I bet there's another P.miranda out there somewhere that tackles prey like a linebacker. Within all species there is some variation, some individuals are bolder then others, you could just get unlucky and wind up with a skittish specimen.

It's unusual but I do have a few Ts that almost never eat in front of me, they get startled from the enclosure opening and won't eat until I'm gone. When I come back in the room later I see them eating, it's a personality trait that some have... just like with humans some spiders are more nervous then others.
If someone has that beastly p.miranda I'll trade. Haha, I know different individuals do different things but they seem to run skittish almost as a whole. I know there is a slight variation somewhere