Anyone else kinda freaked out?

Spbeyond

Arachnopeon
Hello all!

I was just wondering if anyone else was a little freaked out when they started in scorps. I mean I am endlessly fascinated, but the kinda give me a minor case of the "hebey jeebes" I still really want to take care of some. Did anyone else feel the same way? Thanks

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello all!

I was just wondering if anyone else was a little freaked out when they started in scorps. I mean I am endlessly fascinated, but the kinda give me a minor case of the "hebey jeebes" I still really want to take care of some. Did anyone else feel the same way? Thanks
I caught them as a youth and never freaked out, rather they excited me because I was raised on nature documentaries and some times had the opportunity to watch a Hadrurus arizonensis hunt or a Tityus ambush an insect. I have always been in awe of these minibeasts.

When I first really delved deeper into the hobby, "hot" scorps gave me abit of the freak out, I had alot of internal conflict and questions. Which is all gone now when you realize and experience how easy they are to manage with a clear sound conscience and are a mature responsible human being.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You’re not alone. For years I would say that I would never own a scorp. I've always respected them, but they always managed to creep me out (especially those tiny beady eyes). Yet when I joined ABs and learned more about them and became interested. I then realized I might want to try owning one. As of now I'm the proud owner of a P.cavimanus and an H.spinifer. They are both worthy additions to my menagerie, and they do still give me the creeps a bit. Yet that’s just another reason why I like keeping them; I'm learning to master and live with my fears. Anyway right now I think that I'll never own a pede, but who knows what the future will hold ~ Rex

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The first scorpion I ever saw IRL, up close and personal completely froze me. Couldn't take my eyes off it and it took a concious effort not to touch it :D It was at a Club Med in Mexico. A staff member on the resort caught a scorp near one of the restuarants using a comb. I always liked observing bugs, especially the scary/exoctic looking ones. He hooked the telson between the teeth of the comb and let it dangle there. And by dangle I mean thrash. Poor guy.

I'm sorry to say that it was also my first encounter with someone else's reaction to a scorp. After letting me look at it, the guy put it down on the ground and crushed the telson with a stick. Guess he didn't want anyone to get stung. :eek: If it's venom was that dangerous, wouldn't that indicate it probably needs it to survive? Shoulda just stepped on it and ended it quickly :embarrassed:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was a bit wary of getting scorps for a while, but then went and got a pair of emps -- it took me four months before I calmed myself down enough to handle them. Now I've got around 23 scorps altogether and none of them make me nervous at all.

HOT hots still make me nervous, but I think I might eventually want an androctonus species of some sort. The idea of an A. australis or an L q still freaks me out. I had a P. liosoma for a while though.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It took me awhile too, calling Brian Capiz every week, back long ago starting yet another discussion on "Do you still have them Deathstalkers and Androcs?"

Once I took the plunge and got familiar with the "hot" scorps I came to regard them as no different than any other (no malignancy or villiany) just one put in a bubble if you know what I mean.

Something each individual has to work out or walk away from responsibly.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I never did have that creepy feeling. Some people get worried when they see someone take the lid off a terr that's 10 inches high that has a 5 inch scorpion in it. It's not going to jump out but some people's imagination sees it getting out. Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have always been fascinated with scorpions, but like some people have already mentioned, when I started venturing into the world of medically significant species I had a semi-paranoid fear of the effects of being stung. I also had a bit of an internal struggle regarding the risks of keeping them to myself and those around me. I now keep a variety of more fiesty/potent species and have a healty respect for them. I've found that with proper respect, precautions when dealing with them etc that there is nothing to worry about. My biggest concern is that when I get offspring of the more potent species I really have to know and trust the people I sell them to. I get far too many calls asking for the most nasty and dealdly animal I have. I like to call these people the "pokers" as I know they'll probably get a bunch of friends together, get drunk and poke something they really shouldn't be poking! For me, it all comes down to respecting the animals I work with, taking precautions and not getting over confident! After getting started with scorpions though, it's all downhill from there!

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome thread, everyone is little different and very similar all the same.

Like the previous poster poignantly put, add futhermore Valhalla is not kicking your door in once you venture into the "hots" and just make sure no idiots and morons have direct access to them.

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I started this invert hobby having absolutely no experience with any tarantulas, scorpions, or centipedes. I had never owned a single one in my life or played with one, just read about them. Throughout my youth, I would always be interested in reading about them. Half a year ago, I decided that I wanted to get a pet - and went straight for one of the scariest ones, an adult 8" Scolopendra subspinipes.

On the day that I got it, I worked up the courage to pet it, trusting my own reaction skills. My friends thought I was crazy. There were some close calls and I almost got tagged. Over the course of the next few weeks, I got used to sticking my hand in her tank to chase crickets toward her or to change the water. Then I wanted a tarantula - and went straight for yet another mean one, a Haplopelma lividum. Upon getting it, I was surprised by its amazing speed as it dashed up my arm when I tried to poke it with tongs. I freaked out and shook it off. After a few hours, I gathered the courage to come back and try again. It did the same thing, but this time I was much more calm. I let it crawl all over my arms. With no previous experience with any tarantulas, I got one of the most aggressive species and handled it on the first day.

Over time, I had to constantly rehouse the female lividum as I was still a rookie and trying to figure out what setup worked best for her, and due to this, I had handled her so much that her blazing speed and bad attitude didn't phase me at all. I never got bitten. Finally I got her settled in a tall tank where she made a nice extensive burrow. At this point, I decided that I wanted a scorpion, and decided to get a less dangerous one that I could hold at any given time, so I got a Heterometrus spinifer. I had no fear whatsoever picking this one up on the first day. She was the one I handled most and was most comfortable around.

Then there came the day when I had to clean and rehouse my S. subspinipes. This is one I still didn't dare handle. While cleaning its tank, my roommate came in to watch, and I directed my attention to him. BAD IDEA. Not paying attention, the big pede crawled onto my hand, which. I was scared as hell, but tried to stay calm. I let it crawl around my arms for awhile and got comfortable. I had suddenly gained a huge boost in confidence.

Now, only 6 months later, I have no fear of handling any new ones that come in. I understand that what I do is dangerous, so I've stopped handling almost altogether, mostly for the animal's sake. My H. lividum's death due to my own stupidity accounts for that (I accidentally crushed her :(). In addition, I don't want to stress them out too much. Since then I've sold the S. subspinipes and H. spinifer and gotten a few new inverts. So there's my long-ass story. Thanks for reading.

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldnt say I freak out around them. I love watching scorpions. from the 30th June 2007 I bought my first pair after going into the shop every week to have a look at them! I finally thought "you love scorpions, always have, always been fasinated. Go and live the dream and own some so you can watch whenever you want"
So I did. I have to admit. Im not "scared of freaked" by them. I love their movements, I just love everything. Im only scared when my two babies have had a little tiff!
Im over protective I think!;)

I have held them. well. two times. but thats it and was only for a minute and what was going though my mind was "I dont want to stress them out, which means I could get stung which means I could have a reaction to move my arm...which could then have my baby fall off"....
So thats my own fear...the end result...is them getting hurt!
so thats why I dont handle. not that holding them is super great for them!

I guess I just, if anything have great respect for them!

I have Pandinus Imperator *Pinchy And Stingy* :D

Wow, that was longer then expected!