Anyone else keep slugs??

Atrax robustus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just got two pancake slugs from a fellow snail keeper, anyone else out there keep them or any diffrent sp.
AR.

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive kept and bred a few different species of slugs, I have a lot more species of snails though, as slugs arent as commonly seen for sale, and are more difficult to find for sale, Ive kept Veronicella sloanei (Barbados pancake slugs), Elisolimax flavescens, which are an African species of Banana slug, also Laevicaulis sp (African Velvet Slugs) and New Zealand Leif Veined Slugs, ive also kept some native UK species, Arion ater, Arion ater rufus, Limax maximus, Limax cinereoniger, Limax flavus, and a few other species, and will be receiving some Ariolimax sp (Banana Slugs) soon.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am expecting 4 banana slugs next week. These are for my daughter. Our last one died on us.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
man i love slugs and snails, i have a carnivorous land snail(rosy wolf snail eulandia ssp. spelling) this eat other snails like crazy it's native here in fla,not very common,i also have southern pancake slugs also native here,just got more banana slugs(got a winecooler to keep them in:) had limax maximus also,ariol ater etc. they are such awesome animals:worship: :drool: :clap:

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cool. I might be getting some bananna slugs soon from Niles Biological. They're native here in CA but I haven't seen any in my area since I was little. Those carnivorous snails sound like interesting pets too.

Atrax robustus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kevin, where did you get your Banana slugs from? The only Sp. I've seen for sale were at the BTS this year (velvet slugs at exotic-pets.co.uk) a friend who's a roach breeder/seller beat me to them but he's only got one left :(

My Pancakes layed two clutches (strings) of eggs while they were in the post! Any tips on hatching them? at the moment their in a ventilated tub on damp kitchen roll on top of my poison frog tank (around 26.5C)
Thanks,
AR

BasementJungle

Arachnopeon
I just placed my order for 2 banana slugs from Niles. Has anyone ever delt with them before? I don't know if their going to be banana sized on arrival or microscopic. Oh well that's part of the excitement. Ever since I started keeping my really big snails I've had a craving for some more giant land mollusks.

Last edited:

It_lives!

Arachnopeon
Where do you get slugs from???

I think that slugs and sanila re awesome, and i wanted to keep some, but i have no idea on where to get them from, other thank going into the wood s and trying to find some, so where are you all getting these really cool slugs from? :worship:

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just placed my order for 2 banana slugs from Niles. Has anyone ever delt with them before? I don't know if their going to be banana sized on arrival or microscopic. Oh well that's part of the excitement. Ever since I started keeping my really big snails I've had a craving for some more giant land mollusks.
What species of really big snails do you keep? are they native to the US?

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aww. Niles Bio doesn't stock bananna slugs anymore they just haven't taken them off their website. I had to call to find that out though, they wouldn't respond to my emails. If anyone has any they would like to sell I would be very interested in getting a few :)

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah i called them also, they said that they have'nt had them for a longtime.

Atrax robustus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That explains why they didn't answer my email :( hope you get your money back.
AR

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How do you keep these? I've seen them many times but have never bothered collecting them.