Anyone else have this problem?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd like to get more tarantulas (and other inverts) but I find that I running out of space to keep them, money to buy them, and time to take care of them. Anyone else here have this problem? :?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm only with you on the space and money problems. I have plenty of time to care for them, but the other two are tuff when you need to use the money for other stuff. My solution for space was smaller containers, which work fine. Ts don't need much room to live comfortably. I'm pretty sure there is a "stop" point to everyone on these boards, maybe this is yours?

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey I'm hitting a terminal point now. I have about 600 "keepers" about 150 just need to move them on. And about 3000-5000 that are slings/ instars that are for research and other. I need to get me down to just the 600 or so and the slings, which I have not choice to keep.

Nightshade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey I'm hitting a terminal point now. I have about 600 "keepers" about 150 just need to move them on. And about 3000-5000 that are slings/ instars that are for research and other. I need to get me down to just the 600 or so and the slings, which I have not choice to keep.
:eek:
The next time someone tells me my collection of 18 is WAY too big I'm going to refer them to this thread.{D

Time I have, space I can make, money is a bit of a problem right now, but if I couldn't get any more for a couple of years I would still be pretty happy. I've grown very fond of the ones I have.:)

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
who couldn't use more time money and space!
We've dedicated a room in our house to T's, herps, and scorps. And if I had more time I'd probably have more money.

I think part of the addiction, is the sheer variety of T's so there are always more you want to get. Pace your self, set goals of what you want and how much you can realisiticaly aford in all three areas.

Or just win the lottiery, quit your job and build a bigger house{D

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm with you on all points except for the time issue. I always have time or make time for my T's. I feed on Tuesday's & Saturday's (less than 30 mins ea day) and then spot clean/ mist Wednesdays & Sundays(again less than 30 mins). The weekends are not difficult, its the weekdays that can be tricky.
Then I spend about an hour a week just admiring them. I only have 16 T's so it hasn't become that difficult yet. I am waiting for a custom shelf to come that will house all my T's. At the moment they all over my other PC's desk.
AS for money issue, I think we can all do with some extra cash to support the addiction.

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd like to get more tarantulas (and other inverts) but I find that I running out of space to keep them, money to buy them, and time to take care of them. Anyone else here have this problem? :?
If we are honest, most of us probably have this problem...

Space - Think of all the people who keep talking about the rapidly growing collections of slings. Those slings move up the bigger jars, then maybe a critter keeper and someday if all goes well, a display tank that is going to be somewhere between 5 - 10 gallons. How many of those can you fit in you house. I have them in a room at home and at school. As the juvies are moving out of their quart jars and getting tanks, space is definitely running out. Vials are so tiny but you can't keep them in there forever.

Money - It just hit me that since the beginning of the year I am spending over $200 a month on new spiders and or tanks & accessories. It could be worse, but the husband sees them as totally unnecessary.

Time - I can spend all day just playing with the spiders. Making new homes, feeding them, just watching what they do. Not to mention the time spent reading stuff here. I should be doing so many other things.

Thank goodness I have stopped with the other inverts… at least its only spiders for now. I was so much worse when obsessed with phasmids... glad I'm over that!

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Yup. I only have a hall closet for my spiders, and with over 70 and more coming I am (already have) running out of room. There are a few in my bedroom but my husband doesn't like them in there. I will be soooo glad when we can finally buy a house and I can have a whole room for them.

Time I have, money I don't, but that doesn't stop me buying things I shouldn't lol! :)

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Right now space is my biggest problem. My shelf is totally full! I have been trying to part with some of the ones that I don't "have" to keep, but it's hard.

I try to only use the money I make from selling t's to buy more. The best times are when I get a good eggsac. So far the hobby has pretty much paid for itself.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nah, I'm content with what I have now. Maybe limitations is a good way to keep your compulsive buying in check, so think of it as a positive thing.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have almost 80 T's, 45 or so scorps and a dozen pedes with one wrapped around about 60 eggs. I have no money (lol), Time is ok as they are low maintainence pets and space is a concern since most of my collection are slings and getting larger ever month. I'm not sure what I would do if they were all mature, adult size. I'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, with my never ending collection growing and growing as we speak,i move them into smaller enclosures large deli/sterilites,save space stack em up,but yeah room not enough,feedings no prob,maint also,money........there's the problem{D but it's never gonna stop{D

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My comment was a straight-faced, tongue in cheek - DUH! type comment :D

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer

When I get my own house, I will build a room to USDA specifications...and my entire basement will be for bugs.

Kind of like Dexter's Lab on cartoon network.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
18 T's, no problem with time, space or money, if the addiction continues, we may have issues with time!!!{D

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 7, and have plenty of time, anda decent amount of space. Money is my problem, and my mom's bf buys them in exchange for babysitting at the moment.. so Im good all around!

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't have too much trouble with any of the three. My trouble comes in with my other half{D. He's borderline arachnophobic and calls me to get a daddy long legs out of the bathroom. He says that 25 is more than enough and while I don't necessarily agree, I really don't need anymore:rolleyes: Besides if I don't get anymore I won't develop any problems with time, money, or space.

---Jen

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
time for me is not a problem as i have no life to speak of . money is always a problem , but not just with the t's . so far i havent spent much at all on T's as i breed fancy rats to feed to my snakes , and i sell the extras to the petshop i work at and use the store credit from them to buy T's and supplies , and also more snakes and supplies . space is the one major draw back i have at the moment . with 20 snakes , 9 T's and i'm not even sure how many rats , i am running low on space .