Anyone else have no reaction to urticating hairs?

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I've always thought that I was odd, because I have almost no reaction to urticating hairs. The most reaction I ever had was working with a t.stirmi an exotic animal seller I worked with had and it was just a mild tingle on the hands. Not even enough to itch, and that was only after working with it for hours over the course of a year. I can breathe hairs in and get them on my face and near my eyes with no effects. Am I some sort of mutant? And, if I am, couldn't I get a better superpower?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
You are bad to the bone. I generally would say I don't have any problem, but I got a T okerti hair in the eye. Yeah that burned. Lucky I got it out pretty quick.
They say some people have no issues, until they do. It can be an all of a sudden kinda thing. Until then, it's no big deal.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Am I some sort of mutant? And, if I am, couldn't I get a better superpower?
Be careful what you wish for. Soon the tarantulas will take-over the world and you will be humanity's last hope. Perhaps you should team up with someone who is immune to OW venom. You know, to be able to face the whole spectrum of tarantulas ;)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Once i cleaned out a 10gal that housed a giant Lp and my arms itched like id been playing with fiberglass for a bit.
Nothing horrible.

My daughters mom finally caved in and held a G.pulchripes sling (maybe 2") and had a horrible red rash and almost a hives like reaction though the sling didnt even kick or anything.

Very strange how they affect different people differently.

Thelema777

Arachnopeon
If they get in my sinus', i react with a sinus infection, but i dont itch or get a rash. But ive ran into cactus' quite a bit when i was younger, so i dont really notice the hairs too much lol

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
Well, I've never been haired, so...
Can’t have a bad reaction to hairs if your spiders never kick hairs. I was in that boat until I got my boehemi a couple of months ago. He kicks hairs just for fun. Didn’t have any reaction except I made the mistake of rubbing my eyes without washing my hands after filling its water dish one time. Felt like something was in my eyelid for days! My male klugi kicked hairs the first time I housed him, but ever since he just threat poses me, just like my MF klugi. My GBB kicked hairs at me once but I don’t remember much of a reaction.

Last edited:

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some of my spiders kicked, and one or two of them fairly readily, but I never had a reaction. Maybe it's something to do with with my dodgy immune response, from childhood illness. Though I had to stop breeding mealworms because the frass started to give me hayfever-like reactions, so I dunno.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Got a few stray setae from my L. difficilis on my arms while performing cage maintenance a while back and I had unsightly rashes all up and down my forearms for about a week. Fortunately they didn't itch too badly, definitely looked worse than it was. I am much more careful now and it hasn't happened since. And she's still my favorite. :p

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
So far I only react to Acanthoscurria (slight itchiness) and Lasiodora hairs (itches really bad until I shower and I also end up with a slight rash that usually goes within 3 days), none of the others even bother me.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Started off fine. 10+ years and no reactions. Then I met Thrixopelma ockerti. :shifty:

I definitely feel them now. I have experienced reactions to Euathlus, Thrixopelma, Grammostola and Xenesthis. No issues with others though and I keep lots of Nhandu, Pamph, Phormic etc. Must just be certain species.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Never breathed them in but my genics, nhandus and Lp all have flicked at me ,, I've cleaned sub bare handed and not even a tingle.
Now brush a pine tree branch along my arm and it looks like I've got the measles LOL

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Once i cleaned out a 10gal that housed a giant Lp and my arms itched like id been playing with fiberglass for a bit.
Nothing horrible.

My daughters mom finally caved in and held a G.pulchripes sling (maybe 2") and had a horrible red rash and almost a hives like reaction though the sling didnt even kick or anything.

Very strange how they affect different people differently.
I know, right. It's definitely strange

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Started off fine. 10+ years and no reactions. Then I met Thrixopelma ockerti. :shifty:

I definitely feel them now. I have experienced reactions to Euathlus, Thrixopelma, Grammostola and Xenesthis. No issues with others though and I keep lots of Nhandu, Pamph, Phormic etc. Must just be certain species.
I avoid most New worlds, but when I worked for exotic animal sellers I got first hand experience with a variety of species. But not t. Ockerti. I must find her, and I must crush her!

Not literally of course

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
It depends on if your body considers certain hairs to be allergens or not. Sometimes this can change and get worse with repeated exposure. I forget exactly how it works, but basically your body sees the foreign particles more and more until it realises that it should do something about it. Kind of like how some people develop food allergies.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I've always thought that I was odd, because I have almost no reaction to urticating hairs. The most reaction I ever had was working with a t.stirmi an exotic animal seller I worked with had and it was just a mild tingle on the hands. Not even enough to itch, and that was only after working with it for hours over the course of a year. I can breathe hairs in and get them on my face and near my eyes with no effects. Am I some sort of mutant? And, if I am, couldn't I get a better superpower?
Even if you are not allergic to the Setae, it is still not a good idea to get it in your nose/eyes/etc. They still have barbs that can cause damage, even if your body does not react with an allergic response.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Mine haven't kicked any hairs at me. And the first year or so, I had no reaction. But now, if I am doing maintenance (removing/exchanging a water dish) it's like I stir up those they laid in their webbing. I have had a few on my hands and arms -- itched like crazy. And I had used tape to remove them and wash my hands as prevention -- but no go.
I think I am becoming more sensitive as time goes on....

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whenever I am doing a bunch or rehousing or pairing someone inevitably kicks a bunch of hairs and after two or three my whole house is mildly itchy for a couple days. Think Dave chappelle's crackhead character.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yea I have no reaction at all.. Like seriously none at all.. Ever! :troll: 20170624_181211.jpg One from my male stirmi somehow snuck under or through the rubber glove:rage:

Last edited: