Anyone else have a snappy chaco golden knee?

SouthernBiophilist98

Arachnopeon
My golden knee sling (~1 inch) has been very snippy of late. Biting the tongs during feeding and even slapping the side of the enclosure when I moved it. (Note, I dont mind, its just not what I expected of this species. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this behavior.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your T is going to die perhaps if you keep up your bad husbandry, ie tong craziness.

Who the hell feeds a T with silverware

You think they are spoonfed in the wild??!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes::banghead:

Do your T a favor and research husbandry here on AB

Scp682

Arachnoknight
Don't tong feed. What's the enclosure set up like? Pics? If it's not adequate it may feel stressed and vulnerable hence defensive behavior. Also how's the abdomen look? If it's underfed it may have a stronger feeding response to help get more resources/food

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't tong feed. What's the enclosure set up like? Pics? If it's not adequate it may feel stressed and vulnerable hence defensive behavior. Also how's the abdomen look? If it's underfed it may have a stronger feeding response to help get more resources/food
This could be exciting

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
My G. pulchripes is around 1.75’’ and is very skittish and quick to launch at prey, before the last molt it was the complete opposite. I’ve had a few runs up the enclosure going for food as well.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They're moody. You never know what you're going to get on a given day. Or minute.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The entire genus is known for being a bit "bi-polar".

Also, stop tong feeding. Aside from the risk of a broken fang/s, tarantulas can easily run up the bloody things and onto you.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
we confirmed earlier that roughly 10% of the genus, with examples of multiple species across the genus, are psycho

and quit tong feeding

My Pulchra is a typical grammastola, my pulchripes is a hateful T

Timc

Arachnosquire
Mine is only ever ornery when it’s outgrown its hide, other than that it’s just a rock that runs at food. (That’s been dropped in)

SouthernBiophilist98

Arachnopeon
Your T is going to die perhaps if you keep up your bad husbandry, ie tong craziness.

Yikes mate, dont have to be aggressive about it. It is possible to offer advice without <edit>.To clarify, it was very timid initially and I used the tongs to place the food items (prekilled mealworms) near it. I dont brush up on the wee thing with them, as Ive heard and seen the stories of them running up tongs at people.

Thank you for the advice. This is the enclosure it was sold to me in and I was told it would be good for a few more molts (it has molted twice thus far), I added the bark which is is hollow underneath. Its behavior has changed drastically since the last molt; it was calm, bordering on timid. Didnt react much when I opened the enclosure to feed and only gently grasped prey items. Now it darts around looking for anything disturbing the enclosure and has a ~much~ more aggressive feeding response.

My G. pulchripes is around 1.75’’ and is very skittish and quick to launch at prey, before the last molt it was the complete opposite. I’ve had a few runs up the enclosure going for food as well.
Exactly what happened with mine.

The entire genus is known for being a bit "bi-polar".

Also, stop tong feeding. Aside from the risk of a broken fang/s, tarantulas can easily run up the bloody things and onto you.
Wasnt aware of the first, have seen plenty of videos of the second. Thanks for the info.

we confirmed earlier that roughly 10% of the genus, with examples of multiple species across the genus, are psycho

and quit tong feeding

My Pulchra is a typical grammastola, my pulchripes is a hateful T
Interesting, new info for me, I was under the impression that pulchripes was (on average of course) a more laid back species.

Last edited by a moderator:

jc55

Arachnoknight
I have had mine for going on five years now and it is one of the most docile tarantulas i have ever owned and has never exhibited any defensive behavior.

wickee

Arachnopeon
Mine is calm as a cucumber. Everything I've read has indicated that this is in general a docile species. it seems more like it's 10% of keepers that seem to feel they are bi-polar but that is certainly not the general consensus within the community. It's really sad to see people offering "constructive" feedback in such a negative and condescending manner. Especially since those types of responses simply turn people off and push them away. People that really care about proper husbandry wouldn't approach feedback in that manner. It accomplishes nothing whatsoever, doesn't benefit the animals and doesn't help people learn or improve. Really sad.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yikes mate, dont have to be aggressive about it. It is possible to offer advice without <edit>.To clarify, it was very timid initially and I used the tongs to place the food items (prekilled mealworms) near it. I dont brush up on the wee thing with them, as Ive heard and seen the stories of them running up tongs at people.

Thank you for the advice. This is the enclosure it was sold to me in and I was told it would be good for a few more molts (it has molted twice thus far), I added the bark which is is hollow underneath. Its behavior has changed drastically since the last molt; it was calm, bordering on timid. Didnt react much when I opened the enclosure to feed and only gently grasped prey items. Now it darts around looking for anything disturbing the enclosure and has a ~much~ more aggressive feeding response.

Exactly what happened with mine.

Wasnt aware of the first, have seen plenty of videos of the second. Thanks for the info.

Interesting, new info for me, I was under the impression that pulchripes was (on average of course) a more laid back species.
I have plenty of timid Ts, I don’t use tongs, they are all capable ambush predators.

So timid Ts are spoonfed by humans in the wild... :rolleyes:

All specimens are unique, like people, generally the genus is laid back. You have a spicy one for now, maybe forever.

SouthernBiophilist98

Arachnopeon
I have plenty of timid Ts, I don’t use tongs, they are all capable ambush predators.

So timid Ts are spoonfed by humans in the wild... :rolleyes:

All specimens are unique, like people, generally the genus is laid back. You have a spicy one for now, maybe forever.
I would point out that a great and overwhelming majority of T's die in the wild before they reach maturity, and I would rather mine did not. In the same vein, if we only ever did things the ~natural~ way, you and I would be eating our meat raw and sleeping in trees.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would point out that a great and overwhelming majority of T's die in the wild before they reach maturity, and I would rather mine did not. In the same vein, if we only ever did things the ~natural~ way, you and I would be eating our meat raw and sleeping in trees.
Good luck with that approach.

I don’t know if the “overwhelming majority” die. If you have such data from a peer-reviewed paper I’d like to read that. Maybe it’s only 45% for a given species, which is neither a majority nor overwhelming. Then again maybe only 2 survive.

You can sleep in a tree and eat raw meat, no one is stopping you.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can tell you from personal experience that any tarantula eventually loses its "timidity" towards food as it grows larger and becomes more bold. The only reasons (aside simply being not hungry) a tarantula woulid refuse food is either a) it's in premolt or b) some internal issue with the sucking stomach following a molt gone wrong. Internal issues are rare, but they do happen. Something to keep into the back of your mind. Also, despite our best efforts, not all of our animals make it to adulthood and live a long, healthy life. Luck of the draw, really.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I would point out that a great and overwhelming majority of T's die in the wild before they reach maturity, and I would rather mine did not.
Yes, but let's always remember that here we are talking about keeping T's in captivity, where there's nothing 'external' able to harm those (like the 'in the wild' predators, or natural events like floodings etc) except for our bad care - I'm talking in general, at 360°, now, I'm not saying that your care isn't correct.

But there's the other side of the coin of captivity keeping: In fact, barely no T's in the wild dies for such a thing like "anal impaction" or whatever, since they eat and live in a total opportunistic way. In captivity, on the other hand, T's are basically living 24/7 in a Waldorf Astoria suite, nurtured with all the comforts at hand, without paying a damn. Hence why very often T's turns obese like Yokozuna's Sumo champions, IMO leading - not always, but chances % are good - to various health issues in the medium/long run.

SouthernBiophilist98

Arachnopeon
Good luck with that approach.

I don’t know if the “overwhelming majority” die. If you have such data from a peer-reviewed paper I’d like to read that. Maybe it’s only 45% for a given species, which is neither a majority nor overwhelming. Then again maybe only 2 survive.

You can sleep in a tree and eat raw meat, no one is stopping you.
A cursory understanding of arithmetic would show that the overwhelming majority must die, as with any R selected species. If a female T can reproduce a few times before she passes, each time laying, say, 150 eggs (far from the maximum possible for many species), even 20% of the offspring surviving to reproductive age would lead to a world drowning in tarantulas.
Also, you appear to have deliberately misinterpreted my argument, disregarding the fact that you came into this conversation with an entirely unnecessary level of aggression and condescension. Multiple people confirmed why using tongs to feed is bad and offered genuine advice as to why the behavior change may have happened, without rudeness. Not you though. You came in right off the bat with "Yeah your care sucks, your t is going to die, what kind of moron are you to not know all of this already?" Do better, my guy. Being experienced doesnt excuse that sort of behavior.

Yes, but let's always remember that here we are talking about keeping T's in captivity, where there's nothing 'external' able to harm those (like the 'in the wild' predators, or natural events like floodings etc) except for our bad care - I'm talking in general, at 360°, now, I'm not saying that your care isn't correct.

But there's the other side of the coin of captivity keeping: In fact, barely no T's in the wild dies for such a thing like "anal impaction" or whatever, since they eat and live in a total opportunistic way. In captivity, on the other hand, T's are basically living 24/7 in a Waldorf Astoria suite, nurtured with all the comforts at hand, without paying a damn. Hence why very often T's turns obese like Yokozuna's Sumo champions, IMO leading - not always, but chances % are good - to various health issues in the medium/long run.
You do raise a good point. More than a few types of exotic pet suffer for poor care decisions made by well meaning people.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A cursory understanding of arithmetic would show that the overwhelming majority must die, as with any R selected species. If a female T can reproduce a few times before she passes, each time laying, say, 150 eggs (far from the maximum possible for many species), even 20% of the offspring surviving to reproductive age would lead to a world drowning in tarantulas.
Also, you appear to have deliberately misinterpreted my argument, disregarding the fact that you came into this conversation with an entirely unnecessary level of aggression and condescension. Multiple people confirmed why using tongs to feed is bad and offered genuine advice as to why the behavior change may have happened, without rudeness. Not you though. You came in right off the bat with "Yeah your care sucks, your t is going to die, what kind of moron are you to not know all of this already?" Do better, my guy. Being experienced doesnt excuse that sort of behavior.
"must die"... a cursory understanding of facts would be that until someone has done the study, we technically don't know. I deal in facts not assumption when it comes to certain things, this is one of them. I think most die, "overwhelming majority" is a vague phrase. Case closed on that.

How do you know the number is 20%? Do you have peer-reviewed data on that too? If so, let us all learn.

Condescending and aggressive- subjective terms. Not to mention you are reading words and cannot infer tone in any manner, a cursory understanding of grammar would inform you of this.

Let's be clear, on a few things:

1. You have misquoted my words. Do better my guy on a forum and learn how to use the quote function. Not once did I write your T would die with absolute certainty. See below.
2. I did provide advice to you. I suggested you research T husbandry on AB. If that wasn't spelled out for you enough, then follow up with a question, rather than complain.
3. Also, I never once called you a name. That is against the TOS of the forum.

It would be wise of you to stop characterization what people write. Enjoy!

SouthernBiophilist98

Arachnopeon
"must die"... a cursory understanding of facts would be that until someone has done the study, we technically don't know. I deal in facts not assumption when it comes to certain things, this is one of them. I think most die, "overwhelming majority" is a vague phrase. Case closed on that.

How do you know the number is 20%? Do you have peer-reviewed data on that too? If so, let us all learn.

Condescending and aggressive- subjective terms. Not to mention you are reading words and cannot infer tone in any manner, a cursory understanding of grammar would inform you of this.

Let's be clear, on a few things:

1. You have misquoted my words. Do better my guy on a forum and learn how to use the quote function. Not once did I write your T would die with absolute certainty. See below.
2. I did provide advice to you. I suggested you research T husbandry on AB. If that wasn't spelled out for you enough, then follow up with a question, rather than complain.
3. Also, I never once called you a name. That is against the TOS of the forum.

It would be wise of you to stop characterization what people write. Enjoy!
I never acted like the number was actually 20%. That's what we like to call an "example". And yes, we do know, without a shadow of doubt or uncertainty, that most must die. We know that by dint of the fact that the world is not literally drowning under a tide of tarantulas. That isn't assumption, that's based on knowledge of an enormous variety of R selected species across all multicellular life, including other spiders. Get out of here with that "we technically don't know" nonsense unless you're aware of a law of physics that magically de-manifests the excess tarantulas.

And to clarify the issue, on the chance that english isn't your native language (in which case I do genuinely commend you for speaking better english than I do any second language).

"Condescending and aggressive- subjective terms. Not to mention you are reading words and cannot infer tone in any manner, a cursory understanding of grammar would inform you of this."- It is entirely possible to convey and interpret tone in writing, don't argue in bad faith, as that's also rude.

"Your T is going to die perhaps if you keep up your bad husbandry, i.e tong craziness."- A dire warning, i.e "your care is so bad it is an severe risk to the health of your animal". You could have just said, the way everyone else managed to, "Don't feed with tongs" or "Feeding with tongs can cause injury to the spider and yourself" You choose a much more strongly worded way of saying it, which comes across as aggressive.

"Who the hell feeds a T with silverware"-Unnecessary exaggeration. Tongs are used by many in the hobby for various purposes, and asking "who the hell feeds a T with silverware" to describe that did not come from a genuine effort to offer advice. Its purpose comes across much more as "get a load of this guy feeding his T with silverware", i.e condescension

"You think they are spoonfed in the wild??!!!"-Same issues as the silverware comment. Unnecessary exaggeration and condescension. Also frankly irrelevant given that our T's are not in the wild and never will be.

"Do your T a favor and research husbandry here on AB"-Implying that I don't do research on the care of my pets. I am literally here, right now, getting husbandry advice. Advice which everyone but yourself managed to deliver, in thread, with a minimum of condescension and rudeness.

And no, you didn't outright break the rules of the forum, you just phrased your entire initial reply, and every subsequent reply, to be excessively rude and portray me as less intelligent and less adequate in my ability to care for my pets. So, if you didn't want people characterizing your commentary as aggressive or condescending, you wouldn't have written in an aggressive or condescending manner. It would be wise of you to stop jumping down peoples throats, as it will make you more enemies than friends.