anyone else get nematodes in millipede enclosures

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
I've had some close calls, there are some nasty ones in my backyard so I sterilize everything.

rachmills

Arachnosquire
ive heard of some of them being pests but these ones seem to only be on the sides of the tank in the condensation?

To really get rid of them, if I can, I put the whole enclosure in my microwave after removing my arthropets for about 10 minutes, five minutes with the lid off, then 5 with the lid on to really steam kill those demons. Then I put the enclosure in the freezer for about 2 hours to thermally shock any remaining living organisms in the enclosure. Then I put the enclosure back in the microwave for another 3 minutes to heat everything back to ambient temperatures.

Update-centipede is back in it's enclosure with no signs of nematodes. Just ate one of the half cooked earthworms so all seems well for now.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
To really get rid of them, if I can, I put the whole enclosure in my microwave after removing my arthropets for about 10 minutes, five minutes with the lid off, then 5 with the lid on to really steam kill those demons. Then I put the enclosure in the freezer for about 2 hours to thermally shock any remaining living organisms in the enclosure. Then I put the enclosure back in the microwave for another 3 minutes to heat everything back to ambient temperatures.
Man...those enclosures must be made out of some pretty stern stuff to survive the microwave repeatedly.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

No, I've just got three acrylic enclosures. It's the centipedes that are getting more expensive over time. I'd rather get new enclosures than sacrifice my two robusta's and my lowland jewel. I keep those in the fancy enclosures and everything else is in rotund kritter keepers.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
The chances of them actually being a nematode that can harm your inverts are almost null. They are likely feeding on bacteria, fungi, or substrate itself. They’re more unsightly than a threat to your pets.

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detailfull/soils/health/biology/?cid=nrcs142p2_053866

Cheers
True. I think for many people it's just peace of mind to not see nematodes through the plastic/acrylic/glass.

With other invertebrate groups however (such as millipedes and isopods) nematodes can be a serious problem as they rapidly eat the foods provided for whatever specimens are intentionally being kept, leading to starvation amongst younger specimens.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
True. I think for many people it's just peace of mind to not see nematodes through the plastic/acrylic/glass.

With other invertebrate groups however (such as millipedes and isopods) nematodes can be a serious problem as they rapidly eat the foods provided for whatever specimens are intentionally being kept, leading to starvation amongst younger specimens.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Definitely, I’ve battled them myself on multiple occasion. I’ve only ever lost two inverts to nematodes and both instances were wild caught import Avicularia spp.