Anyone else ever see this?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had many slings over the years, and I have noticed with a few species, they will seem like they drag there back 4 legs.

For instance.

I had a sac from an obt pair a few years back. I noticed between 2nd to 4th instar some of them would run while actually dragging the rear legs.

I noticed this again with some of the LP slings I got from sharpfang. Then again with 3 P. miranda I got in a trade.

When the obt slings grew up(some of which I still have) They seem fine, all legs work fine..not affected at all.

The others are still small so I can say how they will turn out. but I was just curious if anyone else noticed this.

Maybe take a book lay it on the ground and let a few of your slings run across them, see if they do it too?

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a few of my C. shioedtei slings have done this before but the very same ones will also walk "normally." maybe a "bite these not my abdomen" defense? but even that seems kind of far fetched.

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My dog does the same thing on my lawn.
It sucks when they use your carpet, eh? lol

a few of my C. shioedtei slings have done this before but the very same ones will also walk "normally." maybe a "bite these not my abdomen" defense? but even that seems kind of far fetched.
That sounds like it actually might be possible. Kind of a defensive mechanism.

Another possibility may be at their age, they dont quite know how to run using their back legs aswell. They may lack the fine motor skills of older specimens, thus only know how to run with their front legs, and just drag the rest behind.

Think of children. They dont come out running, they have to learn to drag themselves with their arms first, then crawl, then walk, then run, etc... Well, the slings are dragging themselves with their "arms", and as they age, and grow, they start to learn to use their back legs better, and then start running with them.

I have some fresh P. pederseni slings, and as far as I can tell, they all run using all their legs, but I never really disturb them that much to notice.

nhaverland413

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
But what I think is strange about that is, I've seen my little guys run with all eight as well as do the drag.