Anyone able to ID my sling??? Please :(

ReeReeReed

Arachnopeon
So i bought this guy from (unfortunately) backwater... it was my first online purchase for a T. I didn't do the research and now I'm not even sure if I got what I paid for. I paid for a Brazilian Black. But I'm having a hard time finding pictures of Brazilian black sling. I'll attack 2 pictures. The one of it on the ruler is when I unpacked it, the second is from today (he/she just molted and has some more defined features than before). Let me know what you guys are thinking, I'm curious to know what slackwater sent me

Attachments

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely not a G.pulchra, it looks like it could be a G.pulchripes, not 100% sure though. I'm sure someone else will chime in. Glad you realised your mistake with ordering from Slackwater.

Ashley2070

Arachnopeon
It looks just like my little G pulchripes, that's what I would guess too though I've never seen what a pulchra sling is supposed to look like. 20161012_154737.jpg 20161012_154737.jpg 20161012_154737.jpg

Last edited:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Why would it not be a G.pulchra?.Not challenging ,as I'm a newbie,but I wondered how anyone could tell
from a sling that small.
OP,well you got what you ordered,or its a surprise package.Either way its a cutie.And I almost
made the mistake ordering from backwater also.They were out of the T I wanted (surprise,surprise)
and offered a P.metallica instead.Ah,no thanks,ive got 2 months experience with T,s.Hardly need
to break in with a Poke.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why would it not be a G.pulchra?.Not challenging ,as I'm a newbie,but I wondered how anyone could tell
from a sling that small.
I used to have a G.Pulchra from a sling up until it got it's adult colors, and not at any stage did it have stripes.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
from a sling that small.
OP,well you got what yoI wa ordered,or its a surprise package.Either way its a cutie.And I almost
made the mistake ordering from backwater also.They were out of the T I wanted (surprise,surprise)
and offered a P.metallica instead.Ah,no thanks,ive got 2 months experience with T,s.Hardly need
to break in with a Poke.
It matters because OP payed for a G.pulchra, which is a lot more expensive than a G.pulchripes.
Op, check pictures on google using its real name, Grammostola pulchra, and add sling to the query.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
OP,not hijacking your thread.Wishing I could help.Just learning here.
Misty Day,so you were looking at the leg striping,is that correct?
And how the heck do I insert quotes on my replies.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
from a sling that small.
OP,well you got what you ordered,or its a surprise package.Either way its a cutie.And I almost
to break in with a Poke.
I commend you for realizing you are not experienced enough yet and opting to not buy that P. metallica. You will make a fine owner of an entire collection some day with that kind of positive mentality. :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
And how the heck do I insert quotes on my replies.
Hit "Quote" on the bottom right corner of the post you wish to quote. If you want to quote just a line or two like I did, highlight the line and it will give you a pop up option to "quote" or "reply" to the highlighted text.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Hit "Quote" on the bottom right corner of the post you wish to quote. If you want to quote just a line or two like I did, highlight the line and it will give you a pop up option to "quote" or "reply" to the highlighted text.
Got it.Much appreciated.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, it definitely looks like a Grammostola. Still could be a pulchra. Needs a couple of molts to be sure.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Spiders are hard enough to ID through picture alone, let alone with a sling.

Even if the sling was sitting in front of me, I'd have no idea. You know how a human fetus and a chicken fetus look darn near identical? Same idea with slings. I currently have G. pulchripes, L. difficilus, and P. cancerides slings. They all look the same. Now it won't take long for them to start differentiating, but at this size? They're just tiny brown spiders, nothing more.

Wait a few molts and ask again.

ReeReeReed

Arachnopeon
I guess if there's anything I learned from my post... it's don't buy from slackwater(which I know now) and I won't know exactly what they sent me for some time haha :D

cold blood

Staff member
Definitely not a G.pulchra, it looks like it could be a G.pulchripes, not 100% sure though. I'm sure someone else will chime in. Glad you realised your mistake with ordering from Slackwater.
I thought the exact same thing.

It matters because OP payed for a G.pulchra, which is a lot more expensive than a G.pulchripes.
Op, check pictures on google using its real name, Grammostola pulchra, and add sling to the query.
Yep, G. pulchripes are very cool, but a pulchripes sling is a $10 sling, while the same little pulchra is a $50 sling. ouch!

Spiders are hard enough to ID through picture alone, let alone with a sling.

Even if the sling was sitting in front of me, I'd have no idea. You know how a human fetus and a chicken fetus look darn near identical? Same idea with slings. I currently have G. pulchripes, L. difficilus, and P. cancerides slings. They all look the same. Now it won't take long for them to start differentiating, but at this size? They're just tiny brown spiders, nothing more.

Wait a few molts and ask again.
Yup, way too many terrestrial NW slings liik very similar when they are this size....definitively knowing isn't really possible, although with the little leg bandings, I highly doubt pulchra....knowing that place its probably an LP.

I guess if there's anything I learned from my post... it's don't buy from slackwater(which I know now) and I won't know exactly what they sent me for some time haha :D
And that's where they get you over a barrel...because what, are you going to complain year or two after the purchase, cause that's how long it could take to start seeing adult colors and know for sure you got screwed over...even though you almost certainly did.

Its places like this that are a blight on the hobby, sending random ts to unsuspecting people...now what if these people buying these mystery ts under the guise that they know the species, will eventually breed them and create frankenspiders.

I'd seriously never breed any t that was bought at that horrible place.

*****If you own a business, please take note of this, because being first on google search pages gets you A TON of clients, even if every place reviewing them gives them awful reviews and you are terrible at your work....if you are good, man, being at the top of that list can be a goldmine.****

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I thought the exact same thing.

Yep, G. pulchripes are very cool, but a pulchripes sling is a $10 sling, while the same little pulchra is a $50 sling. ouch!

Yup, way too many terrestrial NW slings liik very similar when they are this size....definitively knowing isn't really possible, although with the little leg bandings, I highly doubt pulchra....knowing that place its probably an LP.

And that's where they get you over a barrel...because what, are you going to complain year or two after the purchase, cause that's how long it could take to start seeing adult colors and know for sure you got screwed over...even though you almost certainly did.

Its places like this that are a blight on the hobby, sending random ts to unsuspecting people...now what if these people buying these mystery ts under the guise that they know the species, will eventually breed them and create frankenspiders.

I'd seriously never breed any t that was bought at that horrible place.

*****If you own a business, please take note of this, because being first on google search pages gets you A TON of clients, even if every place reviewing them gives them awful reviews and you are terrible at your work....if you are good, man, being at the top of that list can be a goldmine.****
Hey! She does look like my new baby!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think, if it were me, I would contact them and try to get a partial refund anyway. Those stripes are visible. Maybe there was a mix up in reading the order, pulchripes instead of pulchra?
It doesn't hurt to try right?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
If you paid via PayPal you can contact them and demand a refund, if they refuse file a fraud claim right there. PayPal makes it REALLY easy even if it's a year old charge.
What backwater does is VERY illegal