Anybody used mDesign Plastic Containers for sling/juvie enclosures?

Larry Braverman

Arachnopeon
I came across these on Amazon and they look like pretty good sizes for slings and juvies. "mDesign" storage boxes. The plastic looks pretty clear, has a hinged lid, and the price is okay (cheaper than some, not as cheap as Amac). I thought they might make good enclosures for someone like me who doesn't have access to The Container Store for Amacs.

I'm curious if anyone here as tried them.
How do they do?
Is the plastic firm enough for drilling vent holes?
1600881111635.png

Zymotic

Arachnopeon
Yep, I have the ladies high-heel size. (12.75" x 7.25" x 7" high) It's a soft but thick acrylic plastic that is easy to drill holes in. It stacks well and looks great as a display for juvenile terrestrial species. The only major downside is that you have to open the whole lid in order to feed and water. I personally choose not to keep any of the more easily disturbed species in this container for that reason. You may also want to buy a hasp to keep the lid closed if you have any nosey cats. Here

Another popular alternative are the Hobby Lobby display cases. These come in a variety of sizes - like the mDesign cases - and although these containers lack a hinge the lid fits snuggly. I prefer these overall because I can find them easily at my local Hobby Lobby and with a little modification they can be converted for use with arboreal species as well. Here

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, but not the one you posted.

I use:

• 5.5 x 6.6 x 5
• 24 x 18.9 x 16.1
• 22.5 x 16.5 x 13

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I have one of the mDesign boxes for my scorpions, and the only thing that I don't like about them is that the hinges are pretty stiff and creak a lot when I open and close it. Might just be a one-off problem, but it annoys me and startles the scorpions.

Zymotic

Arachnopeon
Yes, but not the one you posted.

I use:

• 5.5 x 6.6 x 5
• 24 x 18.9 x 16.1
• 22.5 x 16.5 x 13
Can you link 24x18x16 and 22.5x16.5x13 containers? I can't find mDesign containers that are anywhere close to that size.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes I’ve used them, but I had to modify them with magnets glued under the lid because they seemed rather easy to open. So far they have been working great!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Can you link 24x18x16 and 22.5x16.5x13 containers? I can't find mDesign containers that are anywhere close to that size.
Try search for:

mDesign Stackable Closet Plastic Storage Box with Lid - Container for Organizing Mens and Womens Shoes, Booties, Pumps, Sandals, Wedges, Flats, Heels and Accessories