anybody have an A. seemani?

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my cousin is temporarily keeping his at my house and i love how they burrow...except i heard that they are kinda docile and when i tried to get near her to hold her, she went freakin psycho on me and actually attacked! what are the personalities of your striped knees?

Risto

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Risto,
My Rikko is anything but docile. It has a nice attitude and actually comes at us at feeding or watering time. I know my sister has some too and they aren't that docile.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
docile but REAL skittish.
fast fast fast fast...

but not aggressive or defensive at all.

not TOO much the burrower either.
peace
dave

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I have one also... mine seems pretty docile but is quick when it wants to... plus mine doesnt run away at all... it just sits and takes it like a man i mean girl... so it was somewhat of a pain moving her from the store container to a 5 Gallon... so far mine hasnt shown any aggression and eats very well. I think it may be burrowing but I cant see because it does it underneath the home I gave it but I have noticed dirt chunks at the opening. oh and mine seems to think that it is part aboreal too... it climbs to the screen lid and then grabs on with its fangs... pretty interesting actually and noticed that she has VERY large fangs!

Anyways good luck with it they are very nice lookin T's. U should hide it and tell him it died and keep it for yourself :p j/k

peace

TheDon

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've got 2 and the only way I've handled either was cupping them for a moment to look at their belly. They are extremely nervous Ts that really are not suitable for handling, though someone out there may have an unsually calm creature. I feel the best place for these are in their enclosures showing off their lovely striped knees

Last edited:

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
my cousin is temporarily keeping his at my house and i love how they burrow...except i heard that they are kinda docile and when i tried to get near her to hold her, she went freakin psycho on me and actually attacked! what are the personalities of your striped knees?

Risto
If you heard that the Seemanni is docile, you heard wrong. They are very nervous, and very fast. They also seem to be especially agressive when you are disturbing their burrow or shelter. My Seemanni is also angry and will attack everything that comes near her. I had to move mine today and it took me 10 minutes to get her into a cup.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Now that mine is established in her new home,she's quite defensive.She'll rear up everytime I approach her.I definitely won't be trying to handle her....peace..

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a juvenile male. He burrows but has never reared up in a defensive posture. He runs and hides. Good eater but when he's full he'll still kill prey but won't eat it, just buries it in a corner.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have two. Neither is defensive, but both are very fast and skittish. One is a huge burrower and the other has never done even a bit of burrowing.

Cheers,
Dave

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bought myself a new A. seemanni yesterday...it's the more brownish colored variety. Anyways, she has a really bad attitude, and attempted to bite at me several times while I transferred her to a deli cup at the pet shop. I don't blame her for being mad all the time after living in that place. I've pretty much left her alone to get settled now. My other seemanni is one of the most docile T's I have, though. She's a bit skittish, of course, but after she's out of her enclosure, she's nice.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
"Digger"~:0)

Our little stripe knee is constantly changing his burrow.
He is a good eater too:) We have not tried to handle it yet.
The T spends most of the day in a hole that it made right in front
of the burrow entrance.
From what I can see, this T is pretty calm. But, like I said, we
have NOT tried to hold it.

Last edited:

Kristen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
TheDon already wrote a bit about our A. Seemani, but I thought I would add one of my stories! The day we got her, just as she was settled into her new home, I decided that she looked calm and friendly so I gave her a "pet" (rubbed one of her back legs) and she didn't even move. She has not shown us any aggression at all. This T is quickly becoming one of my faves...and the acrobats she does hanging from the lid with her fangs are quite interesting to see! (We built the substrate up so that even if she does fall while doing this, it is only about 3" to the ground). A wonderful T!

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the weird thing is i have her in a small kritter keeper with like 4 inches of dirt because its only temporary (she's about 2 1/2 inches) and the first night i had her, overnight she made this HUGE burrow in the corner of the tank...and if i'm not mistaken on invertecare.com it says they are docile....probably should be changed.

Risto

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine has a small burrow under a piece of bark, nothing compared to my Cobalt Blue or King Baboon, but a burrow nonetheless. It is not overly aggressive but, as everyone else has stated they are fast and skittish. They are good eaters too.

Andy

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'm lovin how these guys burrow...i think i'll buy it off my cousin or make some trade with him...i like the attitude his came with too.

Risto

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I had one years ago that was tremendously skittish. But the one I have now is one of the calm ones and doesn't mind being handled at all. Likewise, my other one wouldn't burrow, despite being given every opportunity. The one I have now has made a very nice burrow. There seems to be more variation temperament-wise in this species than in most.

Joy

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah either way though admit you love those awesome markings...i'm gonna hate having to give my cousin his tarantula back.=D

Risto

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
what are the personalities of your striped knees?

Risto
Risto,

Some I've had are very docile, but most I've had were rather skittish. Alot of times more "bark" than bite, but skittish nonetheless!

Cheers,

Paul

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My "Zoomer!" Speedy at first, but then calms right down and is a real cuddle-buny! I absolutely LOVE the little salmon color on their bellies!!!