Anybody guilty of a death?...

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just wondering how many people are guilty of doing something that has caused the death of one of your tarantulas. Yah...sad subject. I know that when I first got into the hobby some 7 years ago, my first T was a P. lugardi. I kept it on hard potting soil and then moved it to an enclosure completely covered with gravel...it couldn't dig to save its life, literally.

This, of course, lead to its death less than a year later. Now look back and think, "what a frickin' IDIOT I was!" :wall:

But yah...sad stories are usually good learning experiences. :8o

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the first t i had. this was before i had a computer. and before internet was really a big thing. yes im old.
i bought it and was doing well with feeding and such. i got home one day to find it laying on its back. tried so hard to get it to move but it was just limp. i set her on her feet and poked her and all. then i noticed she was split open around what then i would of called the head.
so i gently wraped her up and threw her in the trash before i took it out. i felt so bad because my poor spider had fallen and burst open. years later when i had internet and decided to look up some stuff on t's cause i was thinking of getting another. i found some imformation and an explanation of molting. and of coarse felt like the biggest dork ever.
i still feel bad about it, poor spider. but it was a very good lesson learned at the expense of the t.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Well lets see...

1. I've crushed S'lings with the camera lens trying to get that upclose pic.

2. I've dropped vials, and knocked them off my shelf more times than I can count, cuasing death.

3. Walked away 30 seconds from breeders that havent moved for 2 hours , to come back to angry female eating the male.

4. Anybody with a large collection is guilty of a spider here and there dieing from dehydration. (weather you admit it or not)

5. I've had crickets maul spider molting.

tsk tsk, :embarrassed: bad spider keeper.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The only spider death I can take blame for is squishing one with tweezers, ON ACCIDENT OF COURSE!:(

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well this one time , this guy pulled a knife on me while i as i finished cleaning my .45 colt...wait...you meant Tarantula deaths???
sorry
I MAY have, i had an aduly male A. anax who literally walked himsepf to death looking for a mate. does that count?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dropped vials.
Crushed while packing too tightly.
Left heater on accidently for a few days in between water.
Dehydration (I agree with Philth - anyone with a large collection is likely guilty at some point).

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm Guilty, A while back,I Had gotten my first tarantula at the age of 10, Happy as can be, Same day I was walking over to my brother and his friends playing basketball, I showed it to my brother, and then some <___> tossed a Basketball at me and I dropped the spider, Lets just say I have never been the same since

=/

The Kid who murdered my first Tarantula never apologized, never payed me back, and his parents were like "its a spider who cares..."

Anyways, Lets just say I am Guilty of not being careful.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
3. Walked away 30 seconds from breeders that havent moved for 2 hours , to come back to angry female eating the male.
Check.

4. Anybody with a large collection is guilty of a spider here and there dieing from dehydration. (weather you admit it or not)
Check.

Eric

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I left my mother bad instructions for when I was away for the weekend and she threw away a moulting spider.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh I forgot one time. This wasn't a T, but a close relative; I had a Red trapdoor spider die during shipping. I wouldn't say it was entirely my fault though since everything else in the package survived.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Definately some to dehydration, but my finest moment, I had a emelia instar clinging inside a vial, and I tapped the mouth on the wood floor to get it to come down, tap..tap..(harder tap)... *pop*. :(

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh ya guilty as heck. Recently to. One DOA (that happens)

But the second is pretty bad. I had a male ready to head out and start his life on breeding loans, and while moving to a new place he got stuck and hidden under the seat of the truck. I have a few Ts so by the time I had the new T room somewhat arranged and was checking for everyone(8 hours+ later) it was much to late. The high 80 degree weather nuked him like a pizza. :(

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Only death i have had is when i was packing a MM rosea to ship out, he jumped out of the deli cup ran across the computer desk and lunched his self into space only to go splat on the hard wood Floor... My fault for not being careful, but he was one dumb spider...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Only death i have had is when i was packing a MM rosea to ship out, he jumped out of the deli cup ran across the computer desk and lunched his self into space only to go splat on the hard wood Floor... My fault for not being careful, but he was one dumb spider...
hmmm i think that saying dumb spider is redundant

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well lets see...

1. I've crushed S'lings with the camera lens trying to get that upclose pic.

2. I've dropped vials, and knocked them off my shelf more times than I can count, cuasing death.

5. I've had crickets maul spider molting.

tsk tsk, :embarrassed: bad spider keeper.
Yeah. Not sending you my male for breeding loan now...

Just kidding.

AfterTheAsylum

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
On a Friday, I left a male blondi with the female after breeding because I was sending him out Saturday. Saturday morning comes around and the male killed my female, was eating her, and still trying to mate. Only one I ever lost (HA! None to dehydration!)

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dehydration

Dehydration (I agree with Philth - anyone with a large collection is likely guilty at some point).
Definately some to dehydration,
-Sean

This sounds like it is a common problem. i was just curious what is considered a "large" collection. i have 41 which is nothing compared to many here but definitely the most i have ever had. i check on my T's practically twice a day or more mostly because i just can't stop myself... LOL. i also keep a record of all feedings, molts, maintence on each T. i do a thorough checking, mist slings & anything else that is needed every Mon, Wed & Fri. Is this sufficient? i truly want to avoid something that i can possibly prevent. Thanks.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think they are talking about when they have like 3000 or more slings in little vilies, its easy to forget some and they dry out...