Any way to encourage an h. spinifer to be more active?

Ginron

Arachnosquire
My heterometrus spinifer made her burrow a while ago and now she is super lazy and never leaves. Is there any way to encourage her to come out at night and walk around without bothering her in any way?

Pic of enclosure:
IMG_20160901_124943631_HDR.jpg
Inside burrow being lazy:
IMG_20160901_125037326.jpg

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
Firstly, nice enclosure! Secondly, it is likely your H spinifer is just content. You have to remember that scorpions are primarily ambush predators and don't like to stray far from their hide without a good reason such as hunger/thirst or mating. It is possible it is in pre-molt but mord likely it is just happy and sees no reason to move. Don't worry, it will explore it's environment soon enough. Cheers.

Ginron

Arachnosquire
Firstly, nice enclosure! Secondly, it is likely your H spinifer is just content. You have to remember that scorpions are primarily ambush predators and don't like to stray far from their hide without a good reason such as hunger/thirst or mating. It is possible it is in pre-molt but mord likely it is just happy and sees no reason to move. Don't worry, it will explore it's environment soon enough. Cheers.
Thanks! Hopefully the plants don't get spider mites like last time!

Yeah that's pretty much what i figured, i have been feeding her every time she comes to the mouth of her cave (about one cricket every three or four days) so she is probably just fat and happy :happy:. Do you think that feeding her once a week will maker her want to come out more? The only reason i'm feeding her more than the recommended amount is because i figured it would encourage growth (don't think she is fully grown yet). Might not make any difference though idk.

ScorpFreakKing666

Arachnopeon
Usually speaking a hiding scorpion is a happy scorpion, if kept at optimal conditions for said specie. It will come out at a time when your around to view it just be patient. Scorpions will sometimes exit there hide in the late hours of the night usually while most of us keepers are sleeping for a quick stroll or perimeter sweep then its back into the hide for another 20 hours or more lol. You just never know when your going to see your scorp cruising about and it will be a treat when it does. Really nice setup btw!
Cheers

brolloks

Arachnobaron
You could try feeding it less often and it might start roaming around. Temperature could also play a role. If it's to cold they tend move around a lot less.
I am guessing the lights are for the plants and you have it on a timer? It will definitely avoid the light as they are quite sensitive to it.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the problem might be related to the heat lamp, as they are nocturnal!

I use heat-pads (no light), and mine are often out and about

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My heterometrus spinifer made her burrow a while ago and now she is super lazy and never leaves. Is there any way to encourage her to come out at night and walk around without bothering her in any way?

Pic of enclosure:
View attachment 219307
Inside burrow being lazy:
View attachment 219308
Your scorpion is just content. It's also probably settling in as you've recently did that clean out from the mites and old plants/sub.

They aren't very active in general. If you want to higher your chances of viewing opportunities I'd suggest you get more H. spinifers (If that route you'll need deeper substrate). If I remember correctly your room temp is comfortable for it but you could boost the temps to speed up it's metabolism which in turn would make it seek food more but that speeds up their life cycle too.

If you're just using the light during the day for the plants that isn't a problem. If there's light at night that's a problem.

Also, don't use heat pads unless they are on the wall of the enclosure not under the tank like they were designed for reptile belly heat.

Ginron

Arachnosquire
Your scorpion is just content. It's also probably settling in as you've recently did that clean out from the mites and old plants/sub.

They aren't very active in general. If you want to higher your chances of viewing opportunities I'd suggest you get more H. spinifers (If that route you'll need deeper substrate). If I remember correctly your room temp is comfortable for it but you could boost the temps to speed up it's metabolism which in turn would make it seek food more but that speeds up their life cycle too.

If you're just using the light during the day for the plants that isn't a problem. If there's light at night that's a problem.

Also, don't use heat pads unless they are on the wall of the enclosure not under the tank like they were designed for reptile belly heat.
Yeah i am interested in getting more H. spinifers, but i'm worried about getting two different species on accident since i'm not even 100% sure mine is what i think it is. Also i heard somewhere that you cant keep less than three together for some reason, is that true?

Ginron

Arachnosquire
You could try feeding it less often and it might start roaming around. Temperature could also play a role. If it's to cold they tend move around a lot less.
I am guessing the lights are for the plants and you have it on a timer? It will definitely avoid the light as they are quite sensitive to it.
Yeah i'm going to start feeding it once a week (one cricket).

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
In general scorpions are not the most active of pets. The solution to your dilemma is either to get more scorpions and a bunch of cool set ups going or to set up a communal with C. sculpturatus or something. A set up with 10 or so of those is a much higher chance you will see at least some of them roaming around.

I concur that your set up is really nice but as others have said I hope the light is not on all the time (especially at night) as it is really bright and scorpions are not fans of light.

Ginron

Arachnosquire
In general scorpions are not the most active of pets. The solution to your dilemma is either to get more scorpions and a bunch of cool set ups going or to set up a communal with C. sculpturatus or something. A set up with 10 or so of those is a much higher chance you will see at least some of them roaming around.

I concur that your set up is really nice but as others have said I hope the light is not on all the time (especially at night) as it is really bright and scorpions are not fans of light.
Yeah i turn the lights off every night at 8:00 pm.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah i am interested in getting more H. spinifers, but i'm worried about getting two different species on accident since i'm not even 100% sure mine is what i think it is. Also i heard somewhere that you cant keep less than three together for some reason, is that true?
Heterometrus are a bit trickier to i.d but with pics we could help with your current specimen and future ones. You can keep more than three together with appropriate housing.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

I second that C. sculpt notion.
I will be blacklight hunting soon to create another communal set up. I miss my old commune, there was always something going on.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
I second that C. sculpt notion.
I will be blacklight hunting soon to create another communal set up. I miss my old commune, there was always something going on.
What will you be hunting for?

Ginron

Arachnosquire
Heterometrus are a bit trickier to i.d but with pics we could help with your current specimen and future ones. You can keep more than three together with appropriate housing.
I will upload a picture tomorrow, hopefully u guys can id her for me.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I will upload a picture tomorrow, hopefully u guys can id her for me.
When you take the pics try to get a close up of the pedipalps, carapace, telson and one of her entirely. Maybe one of her pectines and operculum for sexing too (If you want).

Oh and decent lighting and quality too. It's hard to see granules, texture and colors sometimes.