Any way to encourage an h. spinifer to be more active?

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You can if you want, but I don't think it's necessary.

I'm pretty confident in my ID. I have the latest keys sitting right next to me, and while I'm not going to profess myself to be an expert, most of my work with scorpions has been done with Heterometrus and Pandinus species.

If you want I can PM you the most recent ID key for the genus (keep in mind that it's a little outdated and doesn't cover all of the species) as well as the descriptions of both species.
Share it here, please. It would help me and any future members searching for this info.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Unfortunately it does look like your scorpion's stinger was broken off at the tip. It is not a huge concern for her species since they mostly rely on their chela crushing powers to subdue prey. Other species would have a much harder time with that injury.

Ginron

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately it does look like your scorpion's stinger was broken off at the tip. It is not a huge concern for her species since they mostly rely on their chela crushing powers to subdue prey. Other species would have a much harder time with that injury.
Yeah i'm not too concerned, its been fine so far.

Ginron

Arachnosquire
I managed to get a picture of the underside of my scorp if you guys are still willing to tell me its sex.

IMG_20160907_235241480.jpg

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No problem.

You'll also note that because this is a H. petersii, you can actually determine the sex of the adult specimens by looking at the chela. Males have an enlarged tooth on the moveable finger that females (like this one) lack.

Ginron

Arachnosquire
No problem.

You'll also note that because this is a H. petersii, you can actually determine the sex of the adult specimens by looking at the chela. Males have an enlarged tooth on the moveable finger that females (like this one) lack.
Yeah i did see that in the ID key, but wasn't sure.

GeneralDingo

Arachnopeon
I have a Urodacus Elongatus that never comes out from under its rock. Sometimes at night I do see it sticking its pedipalps out the entrance. Probably trying to ambush a cricket. It's pretty funny how it isn't even remotely subtle, but I guess it works on bugs. I've also got a Urodacus Manicatus that doesn't even bother with that. It just hides in its burrow and waits for crickets to stroll in. Lazy-ass scorpions, lol.

I just try to encourage them to construct their burrows next to the glass so I can keep an eye on them at all times.